Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2015, 08:47 PM   #85

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
The difference between the two......is simply ........"Whats in a Man's Wallet" Period.
As we all look around as we travel.........we all see the scale on the "Totem Pole".
And then we can talk about the folks that just dream of someday(Not happening) owning a camper/RV.
Are we to imagine a Man worth several Million dollar's buying a 140k Gasser Coach?
Most likely, not the style.......
We are all placed on what is known as "The Food Chain" in life, and we all have our place in it............A man simply buys what he can afford.............
"Whats IN your Wallet" ?
Well put Palehorse..... and just as we can imagine that a millionaire won't buy a gasser, neither do we need to imply that if someone is much lower on the food chain they should not drive a gasser, be perfectly happy, and not made to feel they are "chopped liver" for making a dumb decision. I have had both and at my current position on the chain, I am enjoying the heck out of my gourmet hamburger. Gas is good too.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2015, 10:16 PM   #86

All due respect, but some of us went into this on a budget determined ahead of time, and that budget may not have a thing to do with our position on the "totem pole".

Or another thought, it can very easily be about priorities. For instance, somebody full timing (or planning on it/getting ready to) may be willing to place higher priorities on this purchase - and be willing to spend more of their income/nest egg, (percentage wise) on a MH purchase.

Bottom line, I wouldn't put too much weight on the "totem pole" theory....

Old 12-30-2015, 10:37 PM   #87

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Or another thought, it can very easily be about priorities. For instance, somebody full timing (or planning on it/getting ready to) may be willing to place higher priorities on this purchase - and be willing to spend more of their income/nest egg, (percentage wise) on a MH purchase.
That's what we did, now I hope the DW lives long enough to get to enjoy it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:59 AM   #88

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Well put Palehorse..... and just as we can imagine that a millionaire won't buy a gasser, neither do we need to imply that if someone is much lower on the food chain they should not drive a gasser, be perfectly happy, and not made to feel they are "chopped liver" for making a dumb decision. I have had both and at my current position on the chain, I am enjoying the heck out of my gourmet hamburger. Gas is good too.
The "Only" thing I "Implied" is, we all buy what we can afford
If you re-read my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
All due respect, but some of us went into this on a budget determined ahead of time, and that budget may not have a thing to do with our position on the "totem pole".

Bottom line, I wouldn't put too much weight on the "totem pole" theory....
Folks that order and drive 1m + Coach's don't have a budget when buying a Coach in that price range........on the "Pole"
This is a diagram of the pole I am referring to:

For what is is worth, I am on the lower end of the "Totem Pole".............
I buy what I can afford Sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes...........
I know my location on the pole,...... and I sure wish it was a bit further up
Old 12-31-2015, 05:46 AM   #89

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Isn't it feasible that there is no one correct answer, or even 10 correct answer. We have a gasser, but we could afford a DP if we wanted one. Our variables have not yet shown up here but I am very sure there are others who are the same as we are. We are comfortably retired, living the dream. We are not full timing because we choose not to and for another reason. 5 years ago we committed to doing daycare for our grandchildren. That is certainly not something we had to do but chose to do it. After they are gone we probably still won't move to a DP. We are very content to do weekends and a week here and there. Our son has a TT so often we camp together.

I do enjoy the topic because I enjoy reading about why we do what we do but to pigeon hole anyone because of their perceived position on some totem pole is senseless since everyone's view of this non existent measuring stick is different.

Just my opinion !

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 07:44 AM   #90

Quote:
The "Only" thing I "Implied" is, we all buy what we can afford
If you re-read my post.

Folks that order and drive 1m + Coach's don't have a budget when buying a Coach in that price range........on the "Pole"
This is a diagram of the pole I am referring to:

For what is is worth, I am on the lower end of the "Totem Pole".............
I buy what I can afford Sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes...........
I know my location on the pole,...... and I sure wish it was a bit further up

Not saying there's no "totem pole". My point is that many times our position on it has nothing to do with what we're driving. That guy with the 1m coach may be 10 days away from having it repossessed....
Old 12-31-2015, 08:59 AM   #91

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Really?

Quote:
The difference between the two......is simply ........"Whats in a Man's Wallet" Period.
As we all look around as we travel.........we all see the scale on the "Totem Pole".
And then we can talk about the folks that just dream of someday(Not happening) owning a camper/RV.
Are we to imagine a Man worth several Million dollar's buying a 140k Gasser Coach?
Most likely, not the style.......
We are all placed on what is known as "The Food Chain" in life, and we all have our place in it............A man simply buys what he can afford.............
"Whats IN your Wallet" ?
I don't buy 5# hammers to pound nails.
I don't buy backhoes to plant a shrub.
I don't buy Lear jets to go to Vegas.
I buy the tool it takes to do the task at hand.
And I surly do not judge people based on your "food chain" theory.
And yes there are millionaires driving $140,000.00 gassers.
And no I don't "look around" when I travel and see your "totem pole" I simply see people living and hopefully enjoying life.
Do you live by that saying "he who dies with the most toys wins"?
You simply cannot tell a book by its cover.
I have retread your post and it still comes over the same way...sad and disrespectful. And certainly indicative of the mentality I left in California.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:39 PM   #92

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider99 View Post
I don't buy 5# hammers to pound nails.
I don't buy backhoes to plant a shrub.
I don't buy Lear jets to go to Vegas.
I buy the tool it takes to do the task at hand.
And I surly do not judge people based on your "food chain" theory.
And yes there are millionaires driving $140,000.00 gassers.
And no I don't "look around" when I travel and see your "totem pole" I simply see people living and hopefully enjoying life.
Do you live by that saying "he who dies with the most toys wins"?
You simply cannot tell a book by its cover.
I have retread your post and it still comes over the same way...sad and disrespectful. And certainly indicative of the mentality I left in California.
I am sorry that you look at my post like you do........I never once Judged anyone in my post.............
I never once mentioned the one with the most wins.........
I never stated that I could tell a book by its cover..........
As I travel, I look around at everything, that is why I travel.........and I see everything for A to Z..............
So, by me saying, a person buys what he can afford..........is disrespectful?
As you can see, our Coach is 16 years old this year! So I am in no position nor do I judge people, just stating the facts as I see them. These gas vs diesel threads always end up this way............wonder why
Why do some folks spend over 2M on a Motorcoach????? Because they can! Alls I ever intended to get across, is simply........we all live within our means........
Again, sorry if I offended anyone......
When these threads come up.......there is again only one thing that separates the two..........$
Old 12-31-2015, 06:36 PM   #93

My Seadoo is better than this mega yacht lol

Old 12-31-2015, 07:09 PM   #94

FWIW I will toss this in the mix. You can add retired couples who will never full time but want something reasonably comfortable for long trips to the gasser market. Then when we get done buying it we still have a lot in our wallet. ;-)

ps The thought of tearing up the bedroom to get to the engine really disturbs me. Sprinters are a bad joke.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:09 PM   #95

Quote:
I am sorry that you look at my post like you do........I never once Judged anyone in my post.............
I never once mentioned the one with the most wins.........
I never stated that I could tell a book by its cover..........
As I travel, I look around at everything, that is why I travel.........and I see everything for A to Z..............
So, by me saying, a person buys what he can afford..........is disrespectful?
As you can see, our Coach is 16 years old this year! So I am in no position nor do I judge people, just stating the facts as I see them. These gas vs diesel threads always end up this way............wonder why
Why do some folks spend over 2M on a Motorcoach????? Because they can! Alls I ever intended to get across, is simply........we all live within our means........
Again, sorry if I offended anyone......
When these threads come up.......there is again only one thing that separates the two..........$
Not necessarily the case either. You can get a lot of DP for less than half of what a new gasser might go for?

I stand by the idea people making assumptions based on what somebody is driving are going to be more wrong than they are right....

No offense taken here....
Old 12-31-2015, 08:37 PM   #96

Once you make a move to a diesel, you will never go back to a gasser.

Rich
Old 12-31-2015, 10:36 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
Once you make a move to a diesel, you will never go back to a gasser.

Rich
I believe this is true. It was the truth when I towed with a gas truck and went to diesel, I never considered a gas motorhome and I am glad that I got a DP. It is sweet to drive. Engine in the back when I drive, genny in the front when I sleep.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:47 AM   #98
KC

Im going to chime in, I drive Diesel trucks, large and small, I have towed my 5th wheel with a Diesel but I have a gas motorhome. I like it, its a top of the line unit and I love it. I could have bought a used DP but I like buying a new unit and there is nothing wrong with gas units

KC

Tags
diesel, gas