Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-01-2016, 11:59 AM   #99
Senior Member
 
Rider99's Avatar
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Chino Valley Arizona
Posts: 106
Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
Im going to chime in, I drive Diesel trucks, large and small, I have towed my 5th wheel with a Diesel but I have a gas motorhome. I like it, its a top of the line unit and I love it. I could have bought a used DP but I like buying a new unit and there is nothing wrong with gas units

KC
X2 on the above post! My experience exactly. I retired from the diesel business in 2012 and never looked back. As long as you enjoy the adventure that's what counts.
__________________

__________________
Rider99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2016, 12:26 PM   #100
Senior Member


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Satsop WA
Posts: 1,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
Im going to chime in, I drive Diesel trucks, large and small, I have towed my 5th wheel with a Diesel but I have a gas motorhome. I like it, its a top of the line unit and I love it. I could have bought a used DP but I like buying a new unit and there is nothing wrong with gas units

KC
Thank you. That is correct, there is nothing wrong with a gas unit.
There is nothing wrong with a DP.

I take exception to the attitude that DP owners have no sense of a $.
That we are all millionaires who light cigars with $100 bills.
I would say most of us are the same as gasser owners. Hard working folks who made the best decision for their needs, wants and desires.

That it only makes sense if you drive a dp 100,000 miles a year.
The idea that oil changes cost $600.

We drive about 6,000 miles a year, longest trip was 3 weeks so far and love our DP. Its what is best for us. Thats all I know.
I do not buy the "totem pole" theory at all.
Seriously, at a glance you have me all figured out?

I am not a millionaire, dont smoke cigars.
__________________

__________________
2007 Alpine Limited SE
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:35 AM   #101
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,992
FWIW The bigger issue is the way DP owners try to push DP's to everyone else. Somebody on a snug budget who is not familiar with diesels and is not going to be doing their own work is not served well with advice to just buy older until the price point matches what they can afford. The simple truth is that all the extra/nicer systems create more things to break often at a significantly higher repair cost. Yes, they ride better and are handier but one pays for it.
__________________
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:57 AM   #102
Senior Member
 
LSC9901's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
Once you make a move to a diesel, you will never go back to a gasser.


Rich
I'm relatively certain I could disprove your point. Do you really want that challenge ? I'll certainly take it as long as there is a no loss gaurentee in it for me. You are leaving out all the variables about why people make the choices they do.

I stated it before and I'll reiterate it. I CAN afford a DP. Our camping and non camping life style just does not command that we have a DP. Our current MH offers everything we have wanted in one. Could we ask for more ??? Well hell yes !!! Do we need it to make our trips enjoyable ? Nope.

Now for my style of camping tell me why I need a DP and why I would NEVER return to a gasser ? We both know that you cannot and I'm willing to wager the price of a nice new sharp pencil that there are those who once owned DP's that UPGRADED to gassers.
__________________
If you have friends who make you laugh, spend lots of time with them.
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:26 PM   #103
Senior Member
 
Kiwi's Avatar
 
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Picayune, MS (New Orleans)
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
Once you make a move to a diesel, you will never go back to a gasser.


Rich
Not true, I moved to a DP first from a 5th pulled by a diesel largely because of a lot of the "diesel or nothing" posts on this forum. I had been on the forum three years when I bought my DP.

It got hit by lightening and I spent a lot in addition to the insurance money to get it back perfect. I then sold it because we were building a house and doing a lot of work ourselves.

I then got back into the RV world and bought a quality preowned gasser. I paid cash and do not regret having the BIG 20 year note on the DP.

So if you compare DP + Big Note vs Gasser that is paid for, the choice was the right one for us.
__________________
36' Itasca Meridian DP, now 2005 Newmar Scottsdale 34' Gas
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:45 PM   #104
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,538
I don't understand the acrimony in this thread!

Make a decision on what you want and want to pay and go RV'ing!!

There are bigger things in life (like health issues that my DW has) to worry about!
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:13 PM   #105
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 153
I anticipation of retirement in about 5 years and purchasing our first motorhome or 5th wheel I have done a lot of research on gas vs diesel. If money were no object then clearly I would go the DP route for all of the obvious reasons (noise, torque for driving in mountains, longevity, etc).

Because money is a concern I was almost persuaded the gas route would be best because the benefit of better fuel mileage and engine longevity would be offset by the fact we would not be putting that many miles on it and maintenance cost is so much higher on a DP.

Now I am leaning back towards the second hand DP option vs new gasser because of the better ride & handling as well as the noise benefit and better torque for hilly driving.

My thought is to find a one owner DP that has been garaged or carported. Take my time to find the right unit and have about $10,000 on hand for any repairs, upgrades, or modifications I would want to make. I also would have the unit thoroughly checked out by a independant RV inspector.

Bottom line is that for me, at least at this point in my research / thinking, a better value would be a well maintained used DP updated / upgraded as needed. My fear of buying a used unit has been somewhat abated by the nightmare stories of how many things are wrong with new motorhomes and the weeks and sometimes months it takes to get them fixed under warranty. With a good used unit all of those type issues should be worked out.
__________________
Notlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:25 PM   #106
Senior Member
 
George Schweikle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,202
I read threads like this one for the entertainment value .
If you go back and read the other Diesel vs Gas threads, you will a few people who beat their chests and state DP or nothing. These tend to be the "bigger is better" crowd. However, some posters - owning diesel or gas - have provided polite and reasoned responses to why they chose motorhomes for their specific needs and budgets.

The anonymity of the internet allows more leeway than talking to someone face to face. For more entertainment, see:
Fifth wheel vs. motorhome
Chevrolet vs. Ford - or Dodge
Residential refrigerator vs. absorption
Walmart vs. commercial campgrounds
Home owners associations vs. anything

etcetera ad nauseum....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I don't understand the acrimony in this thread!...
__________________
George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:27 PM   #107
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Snowbird - Waterford Mi and Citrus Springs Fl.
Posts: 3,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notlad View Post
I anticipation of retirement in about 5 years and purchasing our first motorhome or 5th wheel I have done a lot of research on gas vs diesel. If money were no object then clearly I would go the DP route for all of the obvious reasons (noise, torque for driving in mountains, longevity, etc).

Because money is a concern I was almost persuaded the gas route would be best because the benefit of better fuel mileage and engine longevity would be offset by the fact we would not be putting that many miles on it and maintenance cost is so much higher on a DP.

Now I am leaning back towards the second hand DP option vs new gasser because of the better ride & handling as well as the noise benefit and better torque for hilly driving.

My thought is to find a one owner DP that has been garaged or carported. Take my time to find the right unit and have about $10,000 on hand for any repairs, upgrades, or modifications I would want to make. I also would have the unit thoroughly checked out by a independant RV inspector.

Bottom line is that for me, at least at this point in my research / thinking, a better value would be a well maintained used DP updated / upgraded as needed. My fear of buying a used unit has been somewhat abated by the nightmare stories of how many things are wrong with new motorhomes and the weeks and sometimes months it takes to get them fixed under warranty. With a good used unit all of those type issues should be worked out.
A lot of DP coaches have been purchased using just that logic.
__________________
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:43 PM   #108
Senior Member
 
ladagobago's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Posts: 1,192
Blog Entries: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notlad View Post
I anticipation of retirement in about 5 years and purchasing our first motorhome or 5th wheel I have done a lot of research on gas vs diesel. If money were no object then clearly I would go the DP route for all of the obvious reasons (noise, torque for driving in mountains, longevity, etc).

Because money is a concern I was almost persuaded the gas route would be best because the benefit of better fuel mileage and engine longevity would be offset by the fact we would not be putting that many miles on it and maintenance cost is so much higher on a DP.

Now I am leaning back towards the second hand DP option vs new gasser because of the better ride & handling as well as the noise benefit and better torque for hilly driving.

My thought is to find a one owner DP that has been garaged or carported. Take my time to find the right unit and have about $10,000 on hand for any repairs, upgrades, or modifications I would want to make. I also would have the unit thoroughly checked out by a independant RV inspector.

Bottom line is that for me, at least at this point in my research / thinking, a better value would be a well maintained used DP updated / upgraded as needed. My fear of buying a used unit has been somewhat abated by the nightmare stories of how many things are wrong with new motorhomes and the weeks and sometimes months it takes to get them fixed under warranty. With a good used unit all of those type issues should be worked out.
I agree and that is what we did. Have been both sides of issue and really like the DP. Even more so today as the Full Serve Pumps to Show REG GAS $1.79 - Diesel $1.79 Cash or credit. I love New Jersey fuel. it is a big equalizer.
__________________
La Dagobago
99 36 FL Winne Chieftain 5.9 ISB Turbo Cummins DP, 24' box with 1972 V12 XKE Jag and HD Sporty Hobby of 1970's Suzuki dirt bike restoration. Visit my blog.
ladagobago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:25 PM   #109
Senior Member
 
Rich-n-Linda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 884
My comment about never going back to a gasser after you have driven a diesel is based upon the DRIVING experience, not the LIVING experience. The interior appointments and living environment in a good gas coach is every bit as nice as a typical diesel coach.

I happen to drive our diesel coach a lot - 20,000+ miles per year for both business and pleasure. I have driven a couple of coaches on the Ford F53 chassis and found the DRIVING experience to be lacking. Lots of wandering, highly susceptible to cross-winds and a very rough ride compared to our diesel. THAT is what my comment is about.

I find the driving experience in our coach to be very relaxing. It's stable, smooth and quiet. I would rather drive the motor home than my car.


Rich
__________________
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:54 PM   #110
Senior Dude
 
Dogpatch's Avatar


 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere, BC.
Posts: 5,584
Blog Entries: 8
I've had 3 Gasser's and 4 DP's and would never go back to either. They both have flaws.

I bought a truck and 5th wheel. It's better!

There.....that outta stir up some turd!
__________________
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:04 AM   #111
Senior Member
 
dubdub07's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 120
It is all about priorities and perception. If you look at it in reverse and take money out of the equation, I cannot see one reason that you would buy a gasser over a DP unless there is a smaller gas motor home that is a shorter and a more usable length for the buyer.

Money NOT an issue, a DP is made for more options and appointments than a gasser. The more robust chassis with the heavier, more powerful engine allows for a heavier vehicle (for more options) and also has a better ride.

Bringing money into the fray changes perspective. What one wants to afford or able to afford then becomes an issue and the gas motor homes then can become a viable and yet very comparable option. This should not mean an "us vs us" discussion. It is what it is.

WW
__________________
2013 Discovery 40G, 2012 JK Rubicon TOAD1, 2014 Grand Cherokee TOAD2. 2013 RAM 1500 Longhorn. American Steel = American PROFITS!
dubdub07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:09 AM   #112
Senior Member
 
dubdub07's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
I've had 3 Gasser's and 4 DP's and would never go back to either. They both have flaws.

I bought a truck and 5th wheel. It's better!

There.....that outta stir up some turd!
See my last post, perspective. We had 2 fifth wheels. LOVED them, but with a family of 5 travelling in a truck vs a motor home is night and day. Sitting in my easy chair cruising down the road is AWESOME. AND....I can pull in for the night on a rain drenched campground and not even get out until morning. Just go to bed. That was a pretty big flaw for me. I have yet to find a real flaw in my MH, other than it is very, very expensive.

I have since bought a gas truck, though. I think it is much nicer to drive daily than my 6.7 RAM Mega cab. How's that for stirring the gas/diesel pot?

WW
__________________

__________________
2013 Discovery 40G, 2012 JK Rubicon TOAD1, 2014 Grand Cherokee TOAD2. 2013 RAM 1500 Longhorn. American Steel = American PROFITS!
dubdub07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diesel, gas



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diesel or Gas. mdunner Full-Timers 22 01-15-2015 12:29 PM
Gas vs Diesel StuartCaw Just Conversation 36 10-21-2014 06:29 PM
Noise level driving front end diesel vs gas. Keithmq MH-General Discussions & Problems 17 06-03-2014 08:51 PM
A High End Gas Class A or A Low End Diesel Pusher Grandcanyon Class A Motorhome Discussions 110 04-23-2014 11:22 AM
Combination Gas - Diesel engine George Schweikle iRV2.com General Discussion 3 01-10-2014 09:35 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.