Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2016, 12:23 AM   #113

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think it's safe to say there is a reason most passenger vehicles run on gas and tractors run on diesel. I looked around the lot of 4 truck stops at Exit 200 in Eloy, AZ today. Not one gasser. There was one trailor with two 19 passenger gas vans loaded up behind a Volvo. We can debate the reasons, but smarter people than I have already spoken. If you want to move long heavy loads over great distance under all road conditions for long periods of time, get a....

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2016, 07:06 AM   #114

Trip to the mountains

I have a gas 36 footer and love it but after a recent 7 day trip through the mountains of north Georgia and North Carolina I understand why a diesel would be useful. I think my next coach will be a DP

Old 01-03-2016, 07:25 AM   #115

Just to stir the pot a little further from what I have read on some DP forums to get the true stable, smooth ride one has to have a tag axle DP and for easier maintenance a side mounted radiator or its not worth having a DP.
Seems anyone who has a DP has to have one better than anyone else.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:44 AM   #116

Newmar Owners Club
116 posts on Diesel vs Gas............refer back to post #2
Need some more reading on this? https://www.google.com/search?q=gas+...com&gws_rd=ssl
Happens everytime
Old 01-03-2016, 09:13 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notlad View Post
I anticipation of retirement in about 5 years and purchasing our first motorhome or 5th wheel I have done a lot of research on gas vs diesel. If money were no object then clearly I would go the DP route for all of the obvious reasons (noise, torque for driving in mountains, longevity, etc).

Because money is a concern I was almost persuaded the gas route would be best because the benefit of better fuel mileage and engine longevity would be offset by the fact we would not be putting that many miles on it and maintenance cost is so much higher on a DP.

Now I am leaning back towards the second hand DP option vs new gasser because of the better ride & handling as well as the noise benefit and better torque for hilly driving.

My thought is to find a one owner DP that has been garaged or carported. Take my time to find the right unit and have about $10,000 on hand for any repairs, upgrades, or modifications I would want to make. I also would have the unit thoroughly checked out by a independant RV inspector.

Bottom line is that for me, at least at this point in my research / thinking, a better value would be a well maintained used DP updated / upgraded as needed. My fear of buying a used unit has been somewhat abated by the nightmare stories of how many things are wrong with new motorhomes and the weeks and sometimes months it takes to get them fixed under warranty. With a good used unit all of those type issues should be worked out.
You have a good plan. We did the same in buying a 10 yr old Newmar 4011 DSDP with 30K miles for $80K. It has new tires/batteries. Our 8.9 liter Cummins is very powerful and the diesel Onan generator is nearly silient.

We bought this coach from the original owner and it has always been stored in doors (we do as well). The full body paint looks like new.

Put your 10 grand in the bank and draw interest. Good chance you won't need it for your DP if you buy a good quality coach. The bugs will already be worked out.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:31 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor3000 View Post
You have a good plan. We did the same in buying a 10 yr old Newmar 4011 DSDP with 30K miles for $80K. It has new tires/batteries. Our 8.9 liter Cummins is very powerful and the diesel Onan generator is nearly silient.

We bought this coach from the original owner and it has always been stored in doors (we do as well). The full body paint looks like new.

Put your 10 grand in the bank and draw interest. Good chance you won't need it for your DP if you buy a good quality coach. The bugs will already be worked out.
What you did is my model sure sure. By the time I am ready to buy in five years, 2021, a ten year old couch will be a 2011 and a five year old a 2016. That will mean it will be designed for HD widescreen tv's and if I get 2015 or newer should have LED lighting. Since I want to add solar panels for boondocking the LED lighting is important to me for the low power draw.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:45 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notlad View Post
?....and if I get 2015 or newer should have LED lighting. Since I want to add solar panels for boondocking the LED lighting is important to me for the low power draw.

Don't worry too much if it didn't have LED lights from the factory when the time comes....it's quite easy and inexpensive to retrofit after the fact! A few hundred bucks at most, and would give you something to putter with on rainy days. 😃 the same with TV's.....you will no doubt want to upgrade to the 8K TV's that will be common in 2021 and ditch the old 1080P variety !
Old 01-03-2016, 11:57 AM   #120

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor3000 View Post

Almost the same exact scenario for our 07 MADP. Single owner who was a perfectionist in it's maintenance. He took it for servicing to Newmar, Spartan, and Cummins. Garaged in both winter and summer locations. Plus, a set of new tires in the deal.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:26 PM   #121

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Searched

Our first priority was length. Due to our destination points, RV lifestyle and maneuverability we wanted to stay around 30' with 2 front and one rear slide, if possible. We wanted no less than a 6.7 and preferred a 8.3. No 5 or 6 liter V8's, no offense. So we discovered 32 or 33 feet will accommodate our needs. We have a budget but are willing to pay a reasonable amount for a well built coach from a manufacturer that has been in business for a long time and has a decent reputation. Tiffin Breeze was a consideration but it has a V8 Maxxforce. A good used coach is around $90,000 and 110,000 plus the cost of a warranty and we will have to travel over 600 miles to view something that fit our expectations. Local inventory was high mileage or unacceptable condition. New with a 5 liter Cummins is around $200,000. Now put a 6.7 (preferably larger) in that new Tiffin and I'm interested. And that folks is why we ended up with a 2016 Jayco 32UL gasser loaded with a 2 year warranty from the local dealer (good reputation) for $96,000. We will probably drive 4 to 6 thousand miles a year. We spent $900.00 on chassis/ride improvements and I have no doubt it does not ride like a 40 to 45' 8 bag but it is very comfortable. We will never be full time or even high mileage RVers. And that folks is our story and why we drive a gasser but really tried to find a diesel. Size really does count.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:11 PM   #122

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubdub07 View Post
It is all about priorities and perception. If you look at it in reverse and take money out of the equation, I cannot see one reason that you would buy a gasser over a DP unless there is a smaller gas motor home that is a shorter and a more usable length for the buyer.

Money NOT an issue, a DP is made for more options and appointments than a gasser. The more robust chassis with the heavier, more powerful engine allows for a heavier vehicle (for more options) and also has a better ride.

Bringing money into the fray changes perspective. What one wants to afford or able to afford then becomes an issue and the gas motor homes then can become a viable and yet very comparable option. This should not mean an "us vs us" discussion. It is what it is.

WW
Well put DubDub... if money was no object, I would get a DP too. But, for us at this time, money is an object ... and our gasser does pretty well. I have had the DP, but for my budget if I had to buy a new one now, I would get a used late model Newmar, Tiffin, or Holiday Rambler gas...
Old 01-03-2016, 02:25 PM   #123

If money was not an object, why would one want to buy a little old DP when there are new Prevost conversions in the market? You could even buy a small gas motorhome to use as a toad!

(Sorry, couldn't resist. This thread is very entertaining...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubdub07 View Post
It is all about priorities and perception. If you look at it in reverse and take money out of the equation, I cannot see one reason that you would buy a gasser over a DP unless there is a smaller gas motor home that is a shorter and a more usable length for the buyer.

Money NOT an issue, a DP is made for more options and appointments than a gasser. The more robust chassis with the heavier, more powerful engine allows for a heavier vehicle (for more options) and also has a better ride.

Bringing money into the fray changes perspective. What one wants to afford or able to afford then becomes an issue and the gas motor homes then can become a viable and yet very comparable option. This should not mean an "us vs us" discussion. It is what it is.

WW
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 04:16 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Just to stir the pot a little further from what I have read on some DP forums to get the true stable, smooth ride one has to have a tag axle DP and for easier maintenance a side mounted radiator or its not worth having a DP.
Seems anyone who has a DP has to have one better than anyone else.

I'm not sure what you may have read, but evidently some it was wrong. Our 42-foot diesel coach does not have a tag axle and it is as stable as a rock. Rides like the proverbial Cadillac.

You don't have to buy a 45-foot, $500,000+ tag axle diesel to enjoy the smooth ride and effortless driving experience a diesel pusher can provide. You can enjoy the experience for less than $100k in a good used diesel coach. That's what we did!

Rich
Old 01-03-2016, 07:59 PM   #125

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
If money was not an object, why would one want to buy a little old DP when there are new Prevost conversions in the market? You could even buy a small gas motorhome to use as a toad!

(Sorry, couldn't resist. This thread is very entertaining...)
Ha Ha love it..... or buy three Prevost... drive two and keep two in the freezer so they are ready to go... ha
Old 01-03-2016, 08:13 PM   #126

No no no! Buy 3 Prevosts (or more?) and station them around the country so you're never more than just a short flight away from the destinations you frequent most often!

Tags
diesel, gas