Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2015, 04:19 PM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Diesel or Gas?

We have a 05 Monaco Monarch 32 ft. Looking to sell and go bigger. 36 to 39 ft. What are any ones thoughts on staying with gas, or going to diesel?
hogman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2015, 04:26 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogman69 View Post
We have a 05 Monaco Monarch 32 ft. Looking to sell and go bigger. 36 to 39 ft. What are any ones thoughts on staying with gas, or going to diesel?
Depends on first, your wallet, second your towing needs.
And guess what you just opened....
Old 12-16-2015, 04:53 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hard to chose at size. I guess it comes down to intended use and budget. There are a lot of gas rigs in that size that are just as nice at a camp site as a diesel.

I thought this one over myself trading in my gas rig for a 36' DP. Couldn't justify it based on our yearly use. Current rig has everything we need for weekend get away and summer vacation so we decided to keep it.

Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:10 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I see this discussion never dies LOL

36 foot limits the DP's out there a little but getting better. Gas - lots almost all are on the Ford V-10 engine and Chassis. Only two I know that give you more than the 22K chassis are Allegro and Newmar, if you are looking at the carrying capacity (could be important). Obviously Towing large loads most all the gassers I have researched are 500/5000 and even at that the 22K will limit you to 4000lbs or less. I love my gas Bounder and am very happy with it and the layout is the best of all the coaches I looked at (DP or Gas). it has a smaller OCCC than I really wanted, and I am sure if I went full time I would definitely be looking at upgrading to a better OCCC for all the stuff required to be full time. Since I have a few years before that I am completely satisfied with my 36 foot gasser.

Good Luck and hope you find your new coach...
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:14 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

If you use it often enough and travel enough miles the superior attributes of the diesel pusher chassis definitely help justify the substantial extra cost. You will love traveling in the diesel if the budget permits. But a nice gas chassis rig is still nice once you park at the campsite.

If your tastes and budget runs toward the nicer things, e.g. real hardwood cabinetry, or you want to tow a 6000-12,000 lb trailer, the diesel is going to be pretty much your only choice. Ditto if you decide that 40 ft is the right size.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:48 PM   #6

iRV2 has plenty of info on that topic already. I used the search feature and entered " gas diesel better" , see the link below.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gas+...com&gws_rd=ssl
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:54 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Going to sign on and watch the show. This has been discussed, debated and argued numerous times. Generally gets down to some testy posts that are entertaining.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:16 PM   #8

I think Gary has best described the alternatives for both. The main factors are the towing weight and capacity and if you really need it. There are some very nice driving gas coaches with very nice interiors as well, I have one.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:21 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Most important IMO is the floor plan. You will be living in it much more than driving it. Parked they are all the same so you need to have space that will works if you are confined for several (or more) days during inclement weather.

The comes storage and towing requirements. Larger coaches have more storage and towing capacity. Once you get of a size diesel is the only option. Smaller may have gas as the only option.

Gas or diesel will get you to the top of the hill and down the other side. You have to be patient and use common sense while driving. None of these units is a V8 car that cruises up and down hill at will.

Either will work for you if you have the right unit to camp/live in.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:23 PM   #10

Carolina Campers
Diesel or Gas?

Gas or diesel.... When are they going to come out with those electric RV's....
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:34 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
My coach is old (vintage), but it is a diesel pusher. I would not have purchased a coach of this vintage with a gas engine. This coach had less than 40K miles when I purchased it. Now, many miles later I've not had to spend a dime on that motor except for oil, etc. I love the sound and feel of the diesel, and the lack of sound up front. also, the rear motor puts the genny up front, where it's not annoying while trying to sleep. The Cummings starts right up, I'd swear sometimes on the first revolution, even after sitting unstarted for a couple months. I trade a few years of newness for the "luxury" of a diesel any day.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:48 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
My first was a gas, but it only took one time through Teton Pass to cure me of that problem. The next two have been diesels and I have no intention of going back to gas any time soon.

P.S. someone mentioned towing..... the only time I notice the toad is when I look in the rear view.

FunGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:19 AM   #13

I would search the forums and read the previous threads on gas vs diesel. The pros and cons have not changed in quite some time. :-)
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:54 AM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
Thank you all for all your input. Gave me a lot of food for thought. Our situation is this. We own a business that allows us to travel 3 to4 times a year for a few weeks at a time. Our goal is to take a year and circumnavigate the US. That may not happen for a couple years. Looking at diesels I know the longevity of the engine is way longer than gas. A friend who is a full time diesel guy say their a lot more pluses with a diesel than just the motor. Suspension being one of them. My concern buying an older diesel is not the engine but wear and tear on all the other systems on the coach. I guess like you all said, budget, how much used, where we plan to take it , mountains etc. Anything that you all can add to my search is greatly appreciated.
hogman69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas