Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2015, 03:34 PM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post
30ft Winnie is a class C correct?

If so yes they are a handful to drive. Hot, noisy, poor ride and the list goes on. Totally different driving experience vs a new mid/upper end class A.

My gas A doesn't get blown around, isn't noisy or hot but yes... Can't maintain speeds up hills.

Yearly oil change if I paid a shop to do it $80 with Mobil 1

X Inlaws I asked a few days ago what their service bills are on their discovery, he stated $600-$700 is where it STARTS -
No - it was a class A. Sightseer 30 has a V10- it causes all kind of heat problems with cables, wire and is noisy. He has been to almost all 48 plus Alaska. Three generators later, various cables for transmission control, drive line brake. several blowouts, trouble with injectors system etc etc

I can not hear my engine or exhaust note unless under a bridge.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2015, 04:37 PM   #58

Gotya

I know when I was shopping I didn't like the ford chassis. I thought it drove worse and was noisier vs the workhorse chassis, this was back in 09... Both 08 fleetwood products that I test drive.

I am planning on getting a diesel pusher next, with some luck this spring/early summer I can get one. Looking at 2005-2008 fleetwood discovery/excursion/expedition....
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:34 PM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi, I guess I will put in my 2 cents and recommend a gas unit. My reasons follow:
1 - Diesel costs more than gas and you get the same mpg.
2 - Diesel costs more to maintain like $200 for oil change plus there are a few filters that need changing.
3 - A Ford V-10 will climb hills just as good or maybe even better than a diesel if you know how to drive uphills.
4 - Unless you are going to tow a 5000lb vehicle you don't need a diesel for towing.
5 - Diesels do have a better ride except if air bag gets a leak.
6 - If you buy a new Diesel you better drive it for 100K or you won't get your money out of it.
7 - You can get a gas 35 footer in a 24K pound range from Winnebago. It is the Adventurer.
8 - Diesels are a problem in cold weather as the diesel fuel gels.
9 - Diesel duel when sitting too long in tank developes Algae and clogs the fuel system
10- Lastly a lot of the big DP don't fit in a lot of state campgrounds and some others too.

Now all you DPers can get back to me I'm sure however I like my gasser and it does whatever I want and it tows my Ford Escape beautifully on a tow dolly.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:01 PM   #60

Freightliner Owners Club
Enjoying the thread.

I like the DP, but now it's time for maintenance. We'll see if I still like it when I'm paying the bill.
MJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:12 PM   #61

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Pass the popcorn....
Old 12-28-2015, 01:35 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi, I guess I will put in my 2 cents and recommend a gas unit. My reasons follow:

2 - Diesel costs more to maintain like $200 for oil change plus there are a few filters that need changing.

3 - A Ford V-10 will climb hills just as good or maybe even better than a diesel if you know how to drive uphills.

4 - Unless you are going to tow a 5000lb vehicle you don't need a diesel for towing.

6 - If you buy a new Diesel you better drive it for 100K or you won't get your money out of it.

7 - You can get a gas 35 footer in a 24K pound range from Winnebago. It is the Adventurer.

9 - Diesel duel when sitting too long in tank developes Algae and clogs the fuel system

10- Lastly a lot of the big DP don't fit in a lot of state campgrounds and some others too.

Now all you DPers can get back to me I'm sure however I like my gasser and it does whatever I want and it tows my Ford Escape beautifully on a tow dolly.

The gas/diesel threads are generally bogus propositions. It's all about the job you need your coach to do and how much that coach weighs. Gas and diesel coaches only compete head to head at the very upper weight range of gas engines or the lowest weight range of a diesel. This occurs around 24k pounds. Also in some class C coaches with the ones built on a Sprinter chassis.

To my mind, the following are prime owners of gas coaches:
1. Young families with children who camp generally weekends and one or two weeks annually.
2. Busy couples who work and generally have limited time and Milage requirements.
3. Older couples whose children are grown and they like to do long weekends and one or two week or longer trips annually but still life in sticks & bricks.
Owners of diesel coaches:
1. Travel extensively during all seasons with annual Milage in the 7000 to 15000 mile range.
2. Spend seasons in their coach.
3. Full timers.

Obviously some owners do not fit into these categories, but many do. In my situation, my wife and I have full timed in our 12 year old coach for 8 years now. It's traveling weight is just over 42,000 pounds plus a 4600 pound toad. There is no gas chassis which will do the job. I also get just under 8 mpg. I have over 100k miles on my coach and would not be concerned about pulling in the slides in the morning and heading to Alaska.

The major, but not only, consideration in the gas/diesel question is "what is best suited to the job".
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:39 PM   #63

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
The gas vs diesel debate is silly - they are apples and oranges.
Gotta agree with this! Your budget will dictate what you can get and the spouse will dictate what floor plan they like!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:27 PM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

I disagree with Items
Diesel cost less than 92 which most gassers need to stop PING.
Diesel gets better Mileage (8 MPH even pulling 8K lbs trailer @ 70 MPH)
Gasser will get 6 IF lucky.

As for the other items they are very debate and not totally applicable.
Gas engines don't like water and they freeze etc etc etc.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:30 AM   #65

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
I disagree with Items
Diesel cost less than 92 which most gassers need to stop PING.
Diesel gets better Mileage (8 MPH even pulling 8K lbs trailer @ 70 MPH)
Gasser will get 6 IF lucky.

As for the other items they are very debate and not totally applicable.
Gas engines don't like water and they freeze etc etc etc.
1) My Ford V-10 loves regular 87 gas. I have never heard a ping.
2) I drive 55 - 60 towing a CRV and get 8 MPG.

70 MPH is too fast for that much weight if you have a blowout.

Don't understand the freeze statement. Gas engines are much easier to start in cold weather that diesel. Diesels have to have a preheat to get going and maybe a block warmer.

Both have water cooled engines and require antifreeze.

This is not a discussion on which is the better coach. This is a discussion on which is a better fit. If you have unlimited dollars buy one of the half million dollar Newmar rigs... you don't care what it costs to maintain. Or how much depreciation you lose each year.

If you are not in that class, don't believe all the drivel that diesel is the only way to go. Not true. I have had both. I know.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:51 AM   #66

Quote:

Ever wonder why you don't see any 40' gassers?
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:03 AM   #67

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
40' gassers

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor3000 View Post
No. Same reason there aren't any Peterbilt gassers.
Rider99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:05 AM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
What?!!
I can't get a 45 tag axle gasser?

Then I could have the length and have people PAY ME to change the oil!!!!

(Ok, maybe went to far here, just having fun. Carry on!)
Old 12-29-2015, 12:32 PM   #69

Quote:
Nope. Common sense will tell anyone that once you start getting to the upper 30's a gas engine and chassis simply do not have the strength and power to handle the coach properly. It is funny how these threads turn into some type of mine is better than yours games.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:04 PM   #70

Quote:
They're 39'11" because certain areas have rules about things over 40' long. .

The problem with gassers is that no one builds a dedicated engine for them. The Ford V-10 is just a passenger car V-8 with two extra cylinders, and its even several generations old now. Ford sees no need to build a better modern engine because it has no competition in the small niche market of gas class A motorhomes.

Ever wonder why you don't see DPs under 30', and rarely much under 35'?
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas