Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfish View Post
having been in the fuel oil business i can assure you that diesel fuel does not last very long with issues. You must use a good quality fuel stabilizer that specifically treats the formation of bacteria. Once your fuel tank is contaminated there is no alternative to eliminate it except to drop tank and clean. The bacteria grows in diesel and if present will block fuel filters within a few miles. If you try and put a treatment in their dead bodies will become a nightmare. Adding fresh fuel does not help the problem. Todays ulsd is more prone for these problems.
amen brother!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
sorry meant months. Unless your tanks are full all the time there is always a chance of condensation. All tanks will condense when not full--that's a fact of life. If your parked and moisture happens in the tank then how is the fuel water sep gonna get it all out? No fuel pickup line goes directly into the bottom of the tank. Yes bacteria grows at the moisture line. The problem I had in home heating tanks was this very issue. I'm just posting from experience. If y'all aren't having problems by all means keep doing what your doing. However the small price that a good treatment is far cheaper that me sitting along the road. And I'm sure putting one in to improve the cetane rating of the fuel. Once again only my opinion-- nothing more nothing else.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I may not last very long WITH issues, but it will without issues. Perhaps this Diesel fuel FAQ website might help. You mention bacteria growing in diesel fuel, that FAQ explains why that is not true.
Buy fuel from a reputable source, buy and use quality water and sediment filters, and diesel fuel will last for years, at least the way we do it, it does.
Im with Ray.

Diesels Rv's "sit " better than gas rigs. Diesel is more stable by far.

Whatever issues diesel has - gasoline engines are far more finicky and prone to fuel issues. Ethanol makes gasoline far worse than it used to be just 5-7 years ago.

As long as one stays ups on the RV's maintenance all the items- batt condition, tire pressures etc the whole shebang- a diesel Rv thats excessed just a few times a year is fine. My own 98 with 24K miles on it could serve as firsthand evidence of class A's diesels longevity.

Given time all coaches compliment of appliances et all... will dry rot out from no use very little difference in that regard.

Uncle Dave
Old 11-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
Im with Ray. Diesels Rv's "sit " better than gas rigs. Diesel is more stable by far. Whatever issues diesel has - gasoline engines are far more finicky and prone to fuel issues. Ethanol makes gasoline far worse than it used to be just 5-7 years ago. As long as one stays ups on the RV's maintenance all the items- batt condition, tire pressures etc the whole shebang- a diesel Rv thats excessed just a few times a year is fine. My own 98 with 24K miles on it could serve as firsthand evidence of class A's diesels longevity. Given time all coaches compliment of appliances et all... will dry rot out from no use very little difference in that regard. Uncle Dave

I can't for the life of me understand what the outlay for a diesel vs. a gas engine.....the cost of a oil change for a diesel vs a gas engine, the cost difference of diesel fuel vs gas.....on an on........I have a few years behind me, an I can never remember having any engine problems with a gas engine, never had an engine replaced.
My neighbor has a twin diesel with 682 TI engines, and from time to time he has to spend a lot of money to have his fuel filters changed, fuel run thru a filtering truck when he finds bacteria growth.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How come every engine discussion or question becomes a gas verses diesel argument? Both are good. Wy do diesel owners always bash gas?
Old 11-30-2013, 10:11 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
IMO gas engines experience more problems from not running than diesel engines. Gas will gum up the fuel system, diesel fuel will remain good for years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Mine hasn't complained yet from sitting 7 months a year without moving over the last 11 years. The number of days a year it has moved has been between only 13 and 34.
IMOA the need to run a diesel more then a gas to own one. Is a myth.

I do add a stabilizer for the 7 month period. Same as I did with the previous gas MH.
Diesel has much better ride, quieter in drivers area, more torque in hills and better MPG.
I add nothing to mine, just fill as full as possible on the way home.

Quote:
Im with Ray.
Diesels Rv's "sit " better than gas rigs. Diesel is more stable by far.
Whatever issues diesel has - gasoline engines are far more finicky and prone to fuel issues. Ethanol makes gasoline far worse than it used to be just 5-7 years ago.
As long as one stays ups on the RV's maintenance all the items- batt condition, tire pressures etc the whole shebang- a diesel Rv thats excessed just a few times a year is fine. My own 98 with 24K miles on it could serve as firsthand evidence of class A's diesels longevity.
Given time all coaches compliment of appliances et all... will dry rot out from no use very little difference in that regard.
Uncle Dave
I'll give you time line from last year.
arrived home from Utah sept 2012 filled tanks full 15 miles from home (2) 50 gallon tanks. Parked vehicle and changed engine oil & filter
Drove to Harlan Ky March 2013 for the weekend Drove home toped off tanks as usual.
7-13 Drove to Mo on fuel in tanks. Drove home 2 weeks later.
Its now got fresh oil and the tanks are topped off again as usual.
Never even so much as a hiccup in my RV.

I will tell you the one fliud that doesn't like to sit and that is brake fluid.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:58 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by corjaguar View Post

I can't for the life of me understand what the outlay for a diesel vs. a gas engine.....the cost of a oil change for a diesel vs a gas engine, the cost difference of diesel fuel vs gas.....on an on........I have a few years behind me, an I can never remember having any engine problems with a gas engine, never had an engine replaced.
My neighbor has a twin diesel with 682 TI engines, and from time to time he has to spend a lot of money to have his fuel filters changed, fuel run thru a filtering truck when he finds bacteria growth.

As if you know what I paid for my diesel or gas rigs.

Why do people assume everyone with a diesel buys brand new list price rigs?

I'd expect marine diesels (or marine anything) to require extra maintenance over a road going vehicle.

UD
Old 11-30-2013, 11:18 PM   #22

Quote:
As if you know what I paid for my diesel or gas rigs. Why do people assume everyone with a diesel buys brand new list price rigs? I'd expect marine diesels (or marine anything) to require extra maintenance over a road going vehicle. UD
I am not assuming anything, the fact are the fact new or old, diesel cost more.....period
Old 11-30-2013, 11:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
I add nothing to mine, just fill as full as possible on the way home.

I'll give you time line from last year.
arrived home from Utah sept 2012 filled tanks full 15 miles from home (2) 50 gallon tanks. Parked vehicle and changed engine oil & filter
Drove to Harlan Ky March 2013 for the weekend Drove home toped off tanks as usual.
7-13 Drove to Mo on fuel in tanks. Drove home 2 weeks later.
Its now got fresh oil and the tanks are topped off again as usual.
Never even so much as a hiccup in my RV.

I will tell you the one fliud that doesn't like to sit and that is brake fluid.
Agreed on brake fluid - it absorbs water.

Some of my gasoline based device have less issues sitting-providing I fill up to the neck and I use Stabil.

Pickup truck
SUV
generators (2 honda 2K's and a yamaha genset)
My onan 4K won't run after a year of sitting and will need new carb (gum up)

Other gasoline devices I have care a lot about the fuels age- and can tell if the fuel is even 6 months old.

21ft speedboat with a high compression 406
30ft speedboat with a 700HP V10
Kawasaki KFX450
Mazda turbo sand rail.

Run year old pump gas and these devices notice the difference.
All these items require fresh fuel.
Im constantly draining and filling these items for storage.

Never ever had a problem with old diesel fuel as long as I performed normal filter maintenance.

UD
Old 11-30-2013, 11:22 PM   #24

Quote:
I am not assuming anything, the fact are the fact new or old, diesel cost more.....period
Balderdash.

A 10 year old diesel won't always cost more than a new Triton based unit.

UD
Old 12-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
They only cost more if you let them cost more.
My RV is on a 1994 Ford truck chassis
with a 5.9L Cummins 6BT Deisel
I spend about $100 on a oil change using Rotella synthetic oil EACH YEAR.
My oil filter (napa Gold #1607?)is about $10 at NAPA
I didn't change the fuel filter/water separator last year or this year. (I did check it to make sure it had no water in it.) I believe the air filter was changed in 2011 I can't even remember how much it was ($33? sound right) .
I did change and flush the cooling system the first year I had it.
That is it all my maintenance for this vehicle.
They Can cost more but don't have to.

as bought for $2500

with the box installed (by me) new total $4000
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

If I understand what you're trying to say, you can't understand why anyone would ever buy a diesel pusher?

Many of us like the quiet ride and the way they handle. They also tend to do pretty well when towing and driving in the mountains.

Quote:
Some will argue this point but not me.

I've never owned a gasser but I do know that DP's are expensive, but at least in my case, I feel the cost is worth it... to me.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #27

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
OP:

Simply put, my DP only likes to hear one thing on the Radio: "Roll on Big Mamma" followed by "On the road again...." She misses her friends on the road at the Truck Stops of life.....

Many have much more experience than me, but as some have said - no coach likes to sit for months and months on end.

We do have a diesel polisher and additional filtering that I'm told is a waste of my money. Probably so on the technical side, BUT it makes me feel better so it's money well spend for my morale. :-)

I also drain a quart of fuel from my tanks when it has sat more than a month to make sure I get any water at the bottom before I crank it up. I also drain the filter and change my fuel filters FREQUENTLY. I'd tell you how often, but then many on this forum would proceed to tell me how I am wasting my money, etc..... As a piot and knowing the aviation maintenance rules, they seem to fit my DP as well. Well, not all of them. I have a hard time maintaining 250mph when pulling to most campgrounds, but my DW will tell you I try...

Filters are cheap compared to repairs. Ounce of prevention and all those sayings...

Best of luck on your decision. For me, it was DP or nothing.....
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfish View Post
Take it from experience. Read more tests from university and independent labs. If you think todays fuel will last more than 8 to 12 years then by all means keep doing what you are doing. I have seen fuel oil in a tank that went bad in less than a year. Bacteria is very much an issue. Oh and by the way--Todays fuel is no way guaranteed at a reputable station. Most all truck stops and distributors buy from whoever has the best price when they need fuel. I know I've been there. Even branded stations rarely sell there brand of fuel.
I believe the "branded days" are over, as I understand it now....
Actually no such thing as branded fuel. All gasoline, diesel #1 & 2, jet fuel, and several other petroleum products are piped to tank farms all over the US. You may be pumping shell gas or diesel into your tank from an Exxon affiliated or private refinery. The only thing that separates gasoline/diesel A from B are the additives like octane cetane boosters added to the tank truck as specified by the brand when loaded at the truck farm.

Tags
diesel