Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2015, 09:51 PM   #29
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I chipped mine with the DigiCR chip after hearing the success of YC1. I even called YC1 about a year after he chipped his to make sure it didn't blow up.
On the rear radiator Monaco's, a company named Source Engineering was making newly designed engine fans. They added 25 HP on the ISL and 40 HP to the ISC (faster turning engine) by making the fan more efficient. You could probably fly an airplane with the stock fan. You can also buy a Horton electrically controlled fan for more HP, but they don't work when climbing because they're engaged.

The fan combined with the chip made my 36' Diplomat a rocket. I pulled the Baker grade into Vegas at 70 towing a 4 door Nissan Frontier. I found that the chip smoothed out the power band on the Diplomat. It would pull hard at a wider rpm range. When I traded in the coach, I removed the chip for fear that the new owner would have no idea what it was. I sold it to a friend with a Diplomat, figuring I would never be able to use it on a new DEF engine. Well, guess what.....it's the same chip for the ISL from 05 to 2015. It will work on my new DEF engine. I will eventually buy another one (about $600.00) when my new motor has about 20K on it.

Lastly, the chip does not leave an imprint on your engine computer because it attaches to the fuel rail and changes the fuel timing. It comes with a 15' cable that allows you to plug it into the fuel rail (unplug the fuel rail electric plug, plug in the double sided chip cable and plug the fuel rail plug back in). I routed the cable into the rear closet of the bedroom so I could adjust the chip if needed. It has a dial that can be adjusted to a couple of positions. It also has a dummy plug that you can pull the chip off of the cable and plug in the dummy plug and the engine reverts back to stock. The best part, under wide open throttle (WOT) the chip reverts back to stock to prevent handgrenading the engine.

Ray....we only got good mileage on longer trips where the mileage had a chance to equal out between hill climbs and flatland. The 05 Diplomat was the last year they used the shorter 22.5" tires and it ran well at about 1480 rpm at 58 mph. When not towing we hit 10 a few times doing the fuel ups with a level coach and pencil and paper math. The Diplomat had an 8' side to side fuel tank and was hard to record mileage over short trips because some fill ups would take almost 5 gallons more because of a little lean.

The Dutch Star has a center mounted tank between the frame rails and fills more evenly. I tried driving it at 58 like the Diplomat, but the mileage was worse. I run the SilverLeaf VMSpc program and I could see better mpg at 62. The Dutch Star is just geared differently and takes a little more driving technique to maintain speed in the hills vs the Diplomat. The Diplomat technique, leave cruise on, manually drop to 5th about a quarter mile below the hill and relax.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 10:30 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
IMO, the DPF is much more problematic than the DEF. The biggest problem companies are having with DEF, is keeping their employees from mistakenly adding DEF to the diesel tank. That's a very costly mistake. One of our subcontractors stopped buying diesel LD trucks because of it.

DPF has caused us a lot of grief with our heavy equipment. It all starts with trying to teach old dogs new tricks. When they don't follow specific protocols, it results in a costly service call and substantial down time. DPF is the most complicated system of the two by far. It utilizes diesel to burn off the filter (smells like a self-cleaning oven). On our equipment, we have to be careful not to get exhaust too close to dry foliage, such as trees, while in re-gen. It will light a sheet of notebook paper. It significantly lowers fuel mileage. My F250 goes from 15-16 mpg to 11-12 mpg while it is in re-gen.

Although it wasn't the deciding factor, we were fortunate that our 2007 MADP is pre-DPF. Engine is 2006.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:34 PM   #31

Here is a video that breaks down each system. I watched these videos when I had my Ford F350 PowerStroke.

Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:27 PM   #32

I found a better video.

Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:23 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally View Post
Here is a video that breaks down each system. I watched these videos when I had my Ford F350 PowerStroke.

That's a very good explanation and good use off the C&C to show all the components. He mentioned how the pre SCR engines used diesel to perform the burnoff, but didn't mention if the newer SCR engines still do the same. My assumption is that they do, because you see the MPG drop during regen and get that burnt cooking oil smell.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, power