Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
"Expected"? And we accept that and they know we will. How long has it been getting colder around this time of year? People buy heating oil before it gets cold. Why can't the oil companies produce more oil before it gets cold? This ought to be good.
They do anticipate. Demand still equates to higher price in a open market. Simple supply and demand.

Gas goes up just before memorial day for the same reason.

There is no conspiracy, just a market.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
I still don't buy in to it. Overseas, diesel has traditionally always been cheaper than gas as it take less refining just like jet fuel at least thats what I was always told when living abroad. Thats way a turbine engine is still cost effective taking in to account the amount of fuel they use and the cost a jet A. I believe in a company making a profit but, record profits at the expence of the consumer, NO. Not when people are hurting and the cost of living is increasing and the standard of living is decreasing.

My opinion only.

Martin

You cannot regulate a local market in a global supply. The local market simply goes to zero supply. IE what happend to CA.

Oil companies still make far less profit per dollar invested than most other industries. Much less than any in that size range. Heck, WalMart makes significantly higher profit margins.

Take a look at insurance and banking if you want gross profits...
Old 10-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #45

Quote:
If everybody did that, they'd raise the prices during the summer, too.

It's like Roswell, Jimmy Hoffa, UFOs and other government cover-ups. We may never know the real reason gas prices are getting higher.

As long as you are looking for a conspiracy therory no. Accept that oil is a global supply and demand market and as the global economy improves, demand is rising against a supply that is slower to respond and not unlimited.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Here is a little bit of reading for ya on this subject......I work for this man.......here is what he does with his earnings after he raised my retirement age to 62 from 59-1/2 , pay into my medical now, and froze my pension
Billionaire Catsimatidis Buys Long Island Oil Terminal From Phillips 66 - Forbes
Old 10-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #47

If I had a company, I would rather sell 1000 items for a few pennies less, than 100 items for a few pennies more.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #48

Nice guy - not. These billionaire characters are controlling so much of our daily lives. It's not the money anymore - it can't be. It's got to be power and control. Most people can't even comprehend what goes on inside these character's minds. Bottom line - as they suck more and more from the economy there's less and less for everybody else. This is capitalism run amok and we all suffer.

No matter who you are voting for they are all going to do what their billionaire supporters want them to do. It's their "democracy" now - not ours. Very very sad. Look at the big money behind both parties. They don't contribute unless they know they're buying favors down the road...
rvguy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
My guess is the Oil companies are hurtin.
BTY, why is it that Diesel is more than Gasoline is the US? Diesel is cheaper to make so I assume there are taxes involved.
Here in Canada (Alberta at least) Diesel is less than Gasoline. My observation.

different story on the other side of Canada...I'm glad we have a gas rid
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #50

Rexhall Owners Group
"No matter who you are voting for they are all going to do what their billionaire supporters want them to do. It's their "democracy" now - not ours. Very very sad. Look at the big money behind both parties. They don't contribute unless they know they're buying favors down the road... "

I'm afraid I have to agree. I know that this maybe getting off the subject and may open up a can of worms but, ever heard of the Illuminati. (Rothchildes, Rockerfellers, Morgans, etc,).
Old 10-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8

The proposed pipeline wasn't a government project using tax dollars. It was to be built by a for-profit corporation. Doing what you suggest may make sense but there would be no chance of letting government intrude into that business. The next step would be suggesting nationalization of the oil companies and you know that would never happen.

Ask someone from Alberta how they feel about the export of the raw product from the tar sand fields to the US for refinement into products to be sold here. Their fuel prices are considerably higher than ours and a refinery in Canada conceivably could help them.
Everything I've read about the pipeline said it was being proposed to facilitate exporting. None of the product is/was intended for domestic(U.S.) consumption.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #52

Quote:
Record profits and closing refineries only helps the oil companies. Double the tax on their profits and use the money to build the pipe line from Canada, then tell me why it isn't being built.
As I recall the pipeline as proposed is privately funded and just needs approval from uncle sam.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post

Take a look at insurance and banking if you want gross profits...
Most (many) property and casualty companies break even or lose money on insurance operations. They have good years and bad years. They make most of their profit on investment income.

Now look at software giants, apple, microsoft etc. Seems no one complains about companies that make our toys. I find it humorous that folks complain about the price of gas as they are loading up their boats/rv's/motor cycles to go to the lake for a little R&R. And while they gas up, pay $5 for a pack of smokes.

A devalued $ adds to the price of a global product such as gas and diesel. Tell Ben to quit printing money and the price of gas will go down.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
Us on the east coast won,t need a pipeline as John Catsimatidis will be able to import finished product of any kind of fuel into the New York unloading and storage farm from super tankers, and most likely pass the savings onto the people on the east coast......
Old 10-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #55

I am sure everyone knows that Canada is the largest supplier of imported oil to the US as it supplies approx. 30% of the foreign crude imported into America. Most of this oil is WCS (Western Canada Select - not as light as Saudi or Brent) and it travels via existing pipelines to a refining & pipeline hub (& bottleneck) at Cushing Oklahoma. At this point Canada sells it to the US at a discount of 35-40% (cheaper) than oil from the Middle East or the North Sea.

This discount is primarily a result of the (quality) and the fact that Alberta is landlocked and currently has only one customer - the US. The irony of Keystone is that it will provide access for Alberta (WCS) to a deep water port in the Gulf and world markets. In addition, Alberta is also attempting to fast track the Gateway pipeline to deep water Pacific ports for direct access to Asian markets.

I'm curious to know how certain political figures & the general public think that fast tracking Keystone is going to improve US energy self sufficiency and also lower gasoline/ diesel prices to 2009 levels, as Alberta gains greater access to world pricing/markets with it's currently underpriced oil?
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #56

Those that have pushed the Keystone project have distorted reality for years. To claim that it will help the U.S. economy and lower energy costs is a joke perpetrated by bought out politicians. Our energy prices will never come down - period. Supply and demand are irrelevant now.
rvguy02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel