Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #1

Diesel pusher dreamer

We have been RVing for the past twenty years. We started in a 22 ft sunline, then moved up to a 32 ft Jayco, then to a used 2009 Class A Hurricane 34-B last year. We love the motor home. For short trips it is wonderful. For long trips on our poorly maintained roads it is noisy and the suspension is lacking. As we move towards retirement, and many more places to see, we are looking to upgrade once again. If you had a $125,000-$150,000 budget, what would be the best buy. Our wish list:
Less carpet, much better suspension, quieter ride, more comfortable bed.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Be careful for what you wish. I finally got mine and it has been a money pit. It does do all of the above.

Don G.
2005 Itasca Horizon 40 AD

Old 08-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Although the market for used DPs seems to be rebounding, there are still a lot of good buys out there.

For that budget, you can find 40 footers in the Winnebago/Itasca/Phateon class which are a few years old but gently used. We're preparing to sell our Itasca Ellipse 40FD (2007) and the research I've done indicates that our starting point will be in the $125/130K range.

Check out PPL in Houston. They're one of the biggest consignment dealers in the country and have a good website.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #4

For that budget you should have no problem buying an excellent used diesel coach. I also would like to have less carpet due to dogs and time at the beach but you do have a trade-off in terms of noise if you go to a wood or other solid surface flooring

Happy Hunting. The search is great fun
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #5

You should have no problem buying a high end used coach in that price range. Good
luck.

Monoco,Country Coach, Newmar, Travel Supreme, Holiday Rambler, to name a few.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:26 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello, welcome to iRV2. As mentioned check the PPL Motorhomes web site they have several DP's in your price range. I have never bought from them just like to look every so often.

Diesel Motorhomes for Sale - PPL Motor Homes

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #7

Do a google search for Dream Finders RV. It is a website for owner financed rv's. That is where I purchased mine. No banks involved at all. It filled a need for rv financing when the banks would only loan money to people that didn't need it.
jeepersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:56 AM   #8
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
We love our Allegro Red, and low mileage ones are right in your price range. We bought ours 2 years old with 13K on the clock, and could not be happier. Not quite a flashy as a Phaeton, but the same functionality & better fuel mileage.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I saw a really nice 2008 diesel pusher, Bounder yesterday at a dealer in the Sacramento area. 38' and all tricked out, sleep#bed, washer/dryer, sat, big frig. Real nice @ $125k.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
For a bounder, that's more than 30K too high, much better deals out there. The Internet is a wonderful tool for researching all aspects of a coach. Good luck with your serch.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #11

For what you are thinking about spending you can have the carpet replaced, so focus on fundamentals. For example, I drive a lot in the mountains, for me a true engine brake, not an exhaust brake, was a priority. So was a big engine, the ISM Cummins in many coaches was not enough. I looked only at the 500+ hp and 1,500 lbs-ft + engines that came with the heavy duty Allison.

I also wanted a tag because it proves a more stable ride, but at the expense of a bigger and heavier coach. Pay attention to the age and condition of the tires, they are expensive.

Yes, these coaches have lots of little problems, but if you are handy you can deal with a lot of them yourself with the help of the good folks here on this forum.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
For what you are thinking about spending you can have the carpet replaced, so focus on fundamentals. For example, I drive a lot in the mountains, for me a true engine brake, not an exhaust brake, was a priority. So was a big engine, the ISM Cummins in many coaches was not enough. I looked only at the 500+ hp and 1,500 lbs-ft + engines that came with the heavy duty Allison.

I also wanted a tag because it proves a more stable ride, but at the expense of a bigger and heavier coach. Pay attention to the age and condition of the tires, they are expensive.

Yes, these coaches have lots of little problems, but if you are handy you can deal with a lot of them yourself with the help of the good folks here on this forum.
I agree completely with most of your post. However, you call out the ISM as being not enough and then describe the ISM with the specs you list. The ISM, as used in motorhomes was 500 hp, 1550 pounds/feet of torque and coupled to the Allison 4000. It's also lighter in weight and returns a better mpg than its larger displacement contemporaries. It also has an outstanding record of problem free service.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #13

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
I drive a lot in the mountains, for me a true engine brake, not an exhaust brake, was a priority. So was a big engine, the ISM Cummins in many coaches was not enough. I looked only at the 500+ hp and 1,500 lbs-ft + engines that came with the heavy duty Allison.
I often wonder if I am the only person who thinks this way; it's refreshing to find there are a few others. We just came back from nearly two months in the Canadian and US Rockies. I wouldn't trade my compression brake and big engine/transmission combo for anything with less capability. We may only have 425 HP but with a 32,000 lb MH that's quite a lot.

And before someone else jumps in and says they're not in a hurry so why does it matter, IMHO it's about drivability and driving enjoyment. For example you can't appreciate what a true compression brake does until you've ridden down a 5 mile-long 6% (or more) grade without ever having touched your service brake. Or understand the benefits of a big block engine and Allison 4060 transmission until you've climbed to 10,000 feet without needing to keep an eye on the temperature gauge. I could go on and on, but for me the key thing is that if I'm going to drive this vehicle a lot I prefer to own one that is easy and fun to drive.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John How
I saw a really nice 2008 diesel pusher, Bounder yesterday at a dealer in the Sacramento area. 38' and all tricked out, sleep#bed, washer/dryer, sat, big frig. Real nice @ $125k.
That's what we have. 325 ISB turbo - believe it's a mere 750 ft/lbs. Paired with Allison 3000. It is grand for us. We bought ours last year with 16k on it and paid considerably less. Nice coach. I wish they were still making a DP Bounder but alas no more. Ours is the 38F and there are a few other floor plans for the model. Like the 38V I believe it is as well. I think they may all have been bath and a half. Won't be letting this one go any time soon.

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote