Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2013, 07:22 AM   #15

I found Lazy Days had better prices than PPL, but you had to be hooked up with a salesman, because as soon as they got notice of one being taken in on trade someone of the 100 salesman would have a buyer waiting or looking and put a "hold" on it. I got a price and a copy of the company's worksheet they developed when they were developing a trade in value. Look at their web site and find inventory. There are many high dollar ones but towards the end will be the cheaper ones and a listing noting picture not available, which indicates it is being taken in on trade and not on site yet--but they will list a "retail" price and suggest their price is lower. Hook up with a salesman and you can get started with them. They have a place in Florida and Arizona. When I was looking they had a 1996 Monaco Dynasty 38 foot, at $16,000 and a 1998 38 foot Monaco Dynasty at $20,000 being traded in. People were full timing it and moving up to a $200,000 coach. Lazy Days wanted their business but also wanted to move the older coaches out, hence a price much lower than what was on the RV trader, etc.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
If you are planning on full-timing, be prepared to spend more than you thought. I just remodeled inside, and once you start, you never know what you'll find. You'll want to do something with 15 year old furniture. You'll want to change out old carpet. Camping is one thing, but living with it everyday will make you want your own stuff. Once you start removing stuff, you may be surprised what you have to do. I just remodeled, and here is the list.
Interior including flooring, repairs, furniture, $4000, tires-$2000, complete maintenance including all filters, fluids, $1100. That's $7100, and I haven't addressed the house system yet, probably about $500.
But, now its like new inside, and runs like new.
Just expect to spend $10,000, and if you dont , consider it a bonus.
That's excellent advice and close to my expenditures. However, quite a bit of the money went for items that are above the quality of "original equipment" .... like wood flooring and higher quality plumbing fixtures. Frankly, I think a $60K motorhome would need the same items. I think, for the most part, $60K will get you a prettier and more modern looking exterior. The interiors are surprising similar across the years from about 1995 -2005 and maybe later. If you are looking at a 15 year old RV, think about the same items in a 15 year old house .... appliances, hot water heater, furnace, air conditioner, plumbing fixtures, mattress, upholstery, carpeting, etc.

One more thing ... I have supplied all the labor and I think Dave has done the same.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:20 AM   #17

As much as a like DP coaches for travel, if I had a $30k budget for a FT use motorhome it would be gas powered.
$30k should buy a newer gas coach with a couple slide outs.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks to everyone for their advice. It has confirmed what I thought "I feel we are on a good track".

Like I stated our budget allows for prepping the coach after we buy it (upgrades/maint/repairs). Which is why we are looking at $30k coaches not $40K coaches.

I have read several books including "Buying a Used Motorhome" by Bill Myers (great pre-buy check lists). we have talked with friends that own RVs. Even had dinner with Ken and Martha of the "RV Navigator" podcast.
This Forum has been a great wealth of information. I have been using it for research for over a year.

I didn't mention here that we are not retiring.
Self employed I travel all over the USA for work. a different city every week mostly east of the Mississippi.
My wife is changing to a virtual job allowing her to work from anywhere with an internet connection.
We will be driving from my job to job getting paid to see the country.
We are selling almost everything we own, and storing a few things.
Will keep our 2003 Grand Cherokee to tow behind the motorhome.

I originally looked at gas coaches and class C's which allow much newer in our price range.
With the miles we will put on it and the fact we will be full time I think a Diesel pusher is the best choice.

We are looking at high end coaches
Mostly DutchStar and HR Imperial with Cummins, Alyson 6-speeds, side cooling. Still not totally convinced I wouldn't buy rear cooling.

I plan to do most of my own work and have allowed 2 months to get the MH ready for our first trial run to a job in South Dakota. While there I figure we can become residents and do the license and registration stuff.

I wanted to add that I have found some early 2000s in our price range, and even some late 90s with slides.
The slides seem great room size and we would love to have 1 or 2. considering the extra weight and maintenance we are trying to decide if we can live without them which would give us a broader range of coaches to choose from.

This morning we are going to look at a 95 HR Imperial this will be the first coach we have walked through without slides.

Thanks again to everyone for their input.

Mike
Old 04-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD2 View Post
I plan to do most of my own work and have allowed 2 months to get the MH ready for our first trial run to a job in South Dakota. While there I figure we can become residents and do the license and registration stuff.

Thanks again to everyone for their input.

Mike
You are very welcome and have our best wishes. The 2 months will pass very quickly ... try do get the most bang for your buck time-wise and weather-wise. I should have paid more attention to the weather forecast because many things required workspace outside.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #20

Hello!

We purchased our 2001 38' Monaco Diplomat last year for about $32k. We shopped and shopped! We finally found ours at a used corner lot sort of place owned by a guy and his brother. They were a pain to deal with, and we basically spent several hours over two weeks working the deal, but well worth it in the long run!

We've had some minor problems with the washer/dryer leaking, but it was just a hose replacement and was easy enough for my fiancÚ to fix. We don't full time, but we do take a lot of little trips....

I'm sure you can find what you're looking for... Just keep shopping!! Good luck!
Old 04-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
try do get the most bang for your buck time-wise and weather-wise. I should have paid more attention to the weather forecast because many things required workspace outside.
Great tip about the weather I hadn't considered that.
We live in Southern NV. and it will be getting hot soon.
I currently have an insulated/heated/air conditioned hangar and my original intent was to work on the the MH there.
However as part of our downsizing and expense cutting I will be out of the hangar in a couple weeks.

Current plan is to park the MH at a friends. We will have to make the most of the good weather and may have to work in the evenings to stay out of the heat.

Thanks for the great tip,
Mike

Doing our first yard sale tomorrow. Planning on a few of them. Anything left at the end goes to charity.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #22

last nov we bought a '97 london aire for 38,700 at a dealer as we did not want to buy from private in old coach.. and that included a complete chassis service including shocks and tranny fluid gen fluids ect....and at walk thru all the systems worked fine and was as supposed to be..all lights in and out worked alll switches worked and is in very nice shape at 95000 miles and 1500hrs on gen...the chassis and coach batteries new and tires in nice shape...fridge was replaced a few yrs ago as most will be..the awnings replaced a few yrs ago...ect....the coach in spring of last yr was at 60g and they wanted 45g when we looked....so its very doable and i would trust this thing anywhere..its nice to get top of the line in older coach as they had everything available...and has one super slide ,,jeff
Old 04-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD2 View Post
Great tip about the weather I hadn't considered that.
We live in Southern NV. and it will be getting hot soon.
I currently have an insulated/heated/air conditioned hangar and my original intent was to work on the the MH there.
However as part of our downsizing and expense cutting I will be out of the hangar in a couple weeks.

Current plan is to park the MH at a friends. We will have to make the most of the good weather and may have to work in the evenings to stay out of the heat.

Thanks for the great tip,
Mike

Doing our first yard sale tomorrow. Planning on a few of them. Anything left at the end goes to charity.
You are welcome ... the hardest thing for me (working at secure but outside storage) was cleaning up and locking everything up every night. Not like working at home and, if tired, leaving everything for tomorrow. And the next day you had to unpack everything. Not trying to dissuade you in the least ... just sayin' the time factor is very different from a home renovation (that I am all too familiar with).

BTW, these are some of my changes:

Replace Dometic with Summit FF1152SS

Trash the sofa ... extend the slide floor
Old 04-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Hi.

I bought a 2001 diplomat 38 last year for $33K
Like you I also work and travel. All I need is an Internet connection. Once you get set up and your routine in the MH you will really enjoy it. I traveled 5 months last year. This year I'm planning on 10 months total. Right now on a 8
Month trip out west. A DP us the way to go. I think you will be a little tight without a least one slide out. It does make a big difference.
Enjoy your travels.
Rick
Old 04-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
I would find the best Foretravel or Bluebird Wanderlodge I could get for 30 grand. Both are very good quality.

There is always e-bay for a good source of what is available in your price range.

No Reserve Diesel MH Under $30,000
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #26

I agree with many others, when buying older go for a high quality unit. We just sold a 1984 36' Beaver Royale with a 250 CAT and Allison 4 speed. We had this coach for 10 years and put on approximately 40,000 miles. While we did a fair amount of remodeling, it was a sound coach. You can save a fortune if you are able to do the mechanical and renovation work yourself. Start with a solid, well cared for, high quality unit and enjoy. Just realize it will take some coin to maintain and be reasonably comfortable. Good Luck!
GBLandau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #27

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
You are welcome ... the hardest thing for me (working at secure but outside storage) was cleaning up and locking everything up every night. Not like working at home and, if tired, leaving everything for tomorrow. And the next day you had to unpack everything. Not trying to dissuade you in the least ... just sayin' the time factor is very different from a home renovation (that I am all too familiar with). BTW, these are some of my changes: Replace Dometic with Summit FF1152SS Trash the sofa ... extend the slide floor
Nice work. I especially like the raised floor recliner. Looks like it turned out great.

The HR Imperial we looked at today had the slouch and chairs recovered. Looked ok, and even a new mattress on the bed. All though it has new customs and cloth we discussed replace sofa with Recliners.
Nice MH, no slide. Nice second owner couple who owns it. Selling it for health reasons. All docs included.

Tires really old but have been covered so no dry rot. I would have to replace them for piece of mind. It's in great shape but has been sitting for years.

Has a propane generator. Not sure how I feel about that.

Still looking but considering this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
Hi. I bought a 2001 diplomat 38 last year for $33K Like you I also work and travel. All I need is an Internet connection. Once you get set up and your routine in the MH you will really enjoy it. I traveled 5 months last year. This year I'm planning on 10 months total. Right now on a 8 Month trip out west. A DP us the way to go. I think you will be a little tight without a least one slide out. It does make a big difference. Enjoy your travels. Rick
Rick do you mind if I ask what you are using for Internet?

I figured no slides would be a deal breaker but my wife liked it.
We spent a nice evening visiting with friends in their Dutchstart, we were on the couch on the slide they were sitting in recliners opposite us and she felt they were too far away.... I'm not sure yet. But am ok with less weight and maintenance, and ok with more room....

Still looking

Thanks guys,
Mike
MJD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #28

Propane generator would be a deal killer for me. You do not want to be hunting for propane constantly.

In the summertime those A/C's are going to need to be running most of the time. I recommend that you get a unit with the largest diesel fuel tank that you can find feeding the genny and the main engine.

Older flagships are the way to go. They will have large tankage, side radiators, generators on a slide and sometimes at least a living room galley slide, redundant systems, heated tanks for the winter, good thermal and acoustical insulation etc.

The older Newell on the link above sure looks interesting!

Take your time and enjoy the hunt!

Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

Tags
diesel