Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #57

Yeah, our has cracks in the corian countertop as well. Someday we may replace it.... or not.

Have fun.

datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2013, 04:28 PM   #58

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
datrbone8

This one has a Cummins

MJD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #59

Freightliner Owners Club
datrbone8 we love visiting Mexico. Hoping to RV there in the future as well
Old 05-14-2013, 11:01 PM   #60

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
The HR you're looking at appears to be an Endeavor, I'm guessing a 96? Very similar to our '97. The grille you see on the side in back is the engine air intake. It's a rear rad. design.

!
Is the rear rad the maintenance problem some people claim? clogging if not cleaned regularly. harder to do simpler maintenance?

So outside walls and roof are aluminum not fiberglass? Which HR models and years are built like this?

Mike
Old 05-15-2013, 03:25 AM   #61

Freightliner Owners Club
Dealer with Newmar made me a decent offer yesterday via email and asked for a CC deposed to secure the deal.

I'm ok with that. However I haven't seen the coach in person yet, out of town for work and won't be able to look at it till Monday.

They said the offer was only good for one day, and the deposit was only refundable if they miss represented the coach.

I get they want me to commit to the deal. They really had done great to this point but I wont buy something like this sight unseen.

If the deposit was refundable sure, but I don't want to pay a grand just to look. If I decide it was misrepresented then they get to decide if I'm right and get my deposit back? Not an honorable way to due business in my book.

Looking for other deals to look at next week.
Took week off to look near me.

Will keep you posted,
Mike
Old 05-15-2013, 05:02 AM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed your 3-year hunt. Ended up with a creampuff 95 Winnebago Adventurer 2 years ago (18 K). Been working on it ever since (3-4K), loving every minute. (DW jokes that I hurry home from work to spend time with Winnie. O:-) )

It's been fun reading your progress. Look forward to the rest of the story. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD2 View Post
Is the rear rad the maintenance problem some people claim? clogging if not cleaned regularly. harder to do simpler maintenance?

So outside walls and roof are aluminum not fiberglass? Which HR models and years are built like this?

Mike
Internet hooey? Once the slobber tube mod has been done and the mess made prior to that mod has been cleaned up, it's really something you can just keep an eye on. If you have to clean that mess up, like I did, because the slobber tube mod had not been done yet, that might try your patience, but it's nothing you can't get through.

If there's an issue it will be very obvious if you look at the CAC from inside the coach. Lift the bed up and check it carefully with a flashlight. Shouldn't be hard to spot a heavy accumulation of crud at all.

I can change a serpentine belt laying underneath it in half an hour. The grease fitting on the water pump shaft is a pain to get to, but only needs a pump or 2 once a year. I don't plan on changing alternators or hydraulic pumps often, so not sure what/how much difference it might make to get to them is worth to me?

I seriously don't get why anyone would discount a rear rad. It's not like a side rad. doesn't come with it's own set of issues.

The walls on mine are glass, roof alum. I'm not sure when the switch to glass sides was made though? (Our 93 was alum. w/rubber roof) If I were guessing, I'd say that Endeavor is glass. -Al
Old 05-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #64

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post

Internet hooey? Once the slobber tube mod has been done and the mess made prior to that mod has been cleaned up, it's really something you can just keep an eye on. If you have to clean that mess up, like I did, because the slobber tube mod had not been done yet, that might try your patience, but it's nothing you can't get through.

If there's an issue it will be very obvious if you look at the CAC from inside the coach. Lift the bed up and check it carefully with a flashlight. Shouldn't be hard to spot a heavy accumulation of crud at all.

I can change a serpentine belt laying underneath it in half an hour. The grease fitting on the water pump shaft is a pain to get to, but only needs a pump or 2 once a year. I don't plan on changing alternators or hydraulic pumps often, so not sure what/how much difference it might make to get to them is worth to me?

I seriously don't get why anyone would discount a rear rad. It's not like a side rad. doesn't come with it's own set of issues.

The walls on mine are glass, roof alum. I'm not sure when the switch to glass sides was made though? (Our 93 was alum. w/rubber roof) If I were guessing, I'd say that Endeavor is glass. -Al
Thanks for the reply. We are anxious to look at the HR Saturday afternoon and will not let the rear rad be a deal breaker.

You said the grease fitting on the water only needs pumped once or twice a year. I read different things like that on the forum but am curious what that means in mileage.
I have co e to the conclusion. I will be putting more miles on my coach in a year then your average full timer.

We will change locations about 2 times a month going from job to job..... Looking at 30k miles a year is my guesstimate.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #65

I replaced the V belt and the serpentine belt on or Newmar w/ side radiator. It was so easy it was silly. It took longer to drive the 20 miles to pick up the parts than to do the whole job. Between having access to the engine from the rear and under the bed any maintenance chore is made easy. In particular on the Newmar the filters ( probably the most frequently accessed maintenance items) are all right where you can easily get to them.

Little items I like about our coach-
a drivers side door
fuel fill on both sides
I like having the radiator on the side

The most important consideration will likely be floorplan, especially if you're spending so much time in the thing.

The Cummins engine coaches are on a Spartan chassis with independent front suspension. There are rubber boots covering joints to hold in grease and keep out dirt. Check them for cracks

We usually spend the winters in San CArlos, MX but this year we'll be going down near Puerto Vallarta
Old 05-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #66

Not sure about the later Endeavors, but mine has the fuel fill on both sides as well? Sometimes handy to have that option when you aren't at a truck stop. I would not suggest anyone try to fill from both sides at the same time. That's going to lead to a mess.

I would dearly love a drivers door, but that's pretty much a pipe dream any more.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #67

Freightliner Owners Club
Today dealer with 98 Newmar Dutchstar informed me it had a rubber roof.
Part of the reason I was looking at Newmar Dutchstars is because I thought they had fiberglass roofs.

I'm I mistaken?
Old 05-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #68

Yes. It has a rubber roof. I think almost all of the coaches of that time used rubber roof. Our's is in great shape. I did get up there, checked it out, gave it a good cleaning and recaulked some seams with Dicor sealant.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #69

Tiffin Owners Club
MJD, Here is another ad for the RV you are going to look at. It appears to be a tag axle. I live near Las Vegas and am looking at the RV ads for diesels also. It's down to 23.5K now.

r/Bob

1996 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2009 Yamaha V star 1300
Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #70

I don't think you guys are looking at the same coach. Regarding the link above, I could be wrong, but the coach in that pic appears to be a gasser, regardless of what the add says. That's not a leather sofa as they're claiming either....

AND, there's no slide - making that coach overpriced from where I'm sitting.

Tags
diesel