Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #85

I've been reading this thread with great interest. We just went through the same search for a DP that we could afford and live in full time. Just wondering why your search didn't include Country Coach, Foretravel, Beaver, Hawkins, to mention a few. All are high end coaches built well enough to live in full time, with CCC, insulation, high quality furniture, all the stuff you will need to live comfortably in all seasons. IMHO, most brand name DPs you will find on the dealers lots are NOT built for full-time living and travel but instead are geared toward the seasonal traveler who will return home at some point. That wasn't us. After looking for over a year we ended up with a 1991 Hawkins 35' wide-body DP with a 250hp 3208T Cat mated to an Allison 4-speed. Not an ideal drive train. No slide (by choice, didn't want one). We bought it from a private party for $14,900. We love the floor plan, the storage, the liveability and it pulls the western grades, like Siskiyou Pass, at 35mph fully loaded pulling a Wrangler. Our first choice was a Foretravel but we really did not want payments and we didn't have the cash for a Foretravel. The Hawkins floorplan was, for us, the best, even over the Dutch Stars, Country Coaches, Monacos, HRs - all of them. We love our Hawkins and hope you find YOUR ideal setup.
Carol and Linda - Full-timing currently in Washington State.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #86

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGal1 View Post
I've been reading this thread with great interest. We just went through the same search for a DP that we could afford and live in full time. Just wondering why your search didn't include Country Coach, Foretravel, Beaver, Hawkins, to mention a few. All are high end coaches built well enough to live in full time, with CCC, insulation, high quality furniture, all the stuff you will need to live comfortably in all seasons. IMHO, most brand name DPs you will find on the dealers lots are NOT built for full-time living and travel but instead are geared toward the seasonal traveler who will return home at some point. That wasn't us. After looking for over a year we ended up with a 1991 Hawkins 35' wide-body DP with a 250hp 3208T Cat mated to an Allison 4-speed. Not an ideal drive train. No slide (by choice, didn't want one). We bought it from a private party for $14,900. We love the floor plan, the storage, the liveability and it pulls the western grades, like Siskiyou Pass, at 35mph fully loaded pulling a Wrangler. Our first choice was a Foretravel but we really did not want payments and we didn't have the cash for a Foretravel. The Hawkins floorplan was, for us, the best, even over the Dutch Stars, Country Coaches, Monacos, HRs - all of them. We love our Hawkins and hope you find YOUR ideal setup.
Carol and Linda - Full-timing currently in Washington State.
Thanks for chiming in I appreciate the info,

Honestly the searches I have done were not brand specific, however I did lean towards the ones my friends with MH recommended. I just did a search for 500 miles from my home in our price range for the makes you listed and none came up. I'm not opposed to any quality coach.

Holiday Rambler from my research are better insulated than most and I love the aluminum roof. I have read pros and cons on forums about different roof materials but having built with sheet aluminum before feel very comfortable with the HR aluminum framing and roof. I have the tools and experience to do most anything with it.
HR also may have a bit of sentimental meaning to me as well.

Regardless We have been looking and researching a while and even when we look at other brands I always seem to gravitate back to HR.

We looked at the 97 HR this afternoon. The good is it is lower priced than We are willing to spend. However we don't think it is the coach for us.

The emails and info have me feeling really good about the next HR we are looking at Monday. We have the money and are ready to buy if it pans out to be as good as it looks and we are told.
I do have another to look at if it isn't the one.

I will keep everyone posted.

Mike

MJD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #87

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
We have the 3126B engine in our coach. It has around 85,ooo miles now and runs great. It's getting around 10 mpg towing our Honda Element under calm, flat and pushes us through the mountains here in the west with no problems. We have a Freightliner shop here in town and anything I've needed is available in a couple of days if not in stock. Not bad support for a 15 year old engine. It is very owner serviceable, a big plus in my book. I don't think you can go wrong with either engine.
Thanks for your input.
I feel pretty good about the Cat engine, so like I said its not a deal breaker that it is not a cummins, or even a side radiator.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD2 View Post
Thanks for chiming in I appreciate the info,

Honestly the searches I have done were not brand specific, however I did lean towards the ones my friends with MH recommended. I just did a search for 500 miles from my home in our price range for the makes you listed and none came up. I'm not opposed to any quality coach.

Holiday Rambler from my research are better insulated than most and I love the aluminum roof. I have read pros and cons on forums about different roof materials but having built with sheet aluminum before feel very comfortable with the HR aluminum framing and roof. I have the tools and experience to do most anything with it.
HR also may have a bit of sentimental meaning to me as well.

Regardless We have been looking and researching a while and even when we look at other brands I always seem to gravitate back to HR.

We looked at the 97 HR this afternoon. The good is it is lower priced than We are willing to spend. However we don't think it is the coach for us.

The emails and info have me feeling really good about the next HR we are looking at Monday. We have the money and are ready to buy if it pans out to be as good as it looks and we are told.
I do have another to look at if it isn't the one.

I will keep everyone posted.

Mike
BTW, the things the Endeavor has (and it's a personal choice) are 1) side entry, 2) fore/aft bedding, and 3) fully functional without extending slides.

These are features that are now being returned to after many years and can't be changed.

IMHO ...
Old 05-20-2013, 11:45 PM   #89

Freightliner Owners Club
We looked at the 2000 HR
The dash heater/AC/Fan do not work.
Everything else seems to.
Any ideas?
I changed the coach heater relay didn't help.

Ran fridge/freezer for an hour and half, freezer was getting cold, Fridge didn't really seem to but I'm guessing they cool from the same thing so it will just take several hours for fridge to cool.

We are driving it 9am PST.
Assuming it dives ok We are going to buy it.

Any thoughts form anyone.
I'm a bit concerned about dash cool/heat but know they don't really cool the coach so well and most people run the generator and heat pump/AC
Old 05-21-2013, 05:28 AM   #90

Monaco Owners Club
I had to replace AC/Heater fan in dash. Pretty easy job in our 95 W Winnebago. It was working when we got coach, then intermittently, then quit. Works great now. Access was under passenger side dash with easy acess panel held with a few screws.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:35 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD2 View Post
We looked at the 2000 HR
The dash heater/AC/Fan do not work.
Everything else seems to.
Any ideas?
I changed the coach heater relay didn't help.

Ran fridge/freezer for an hour and half, freezer was getting cold, Fridge didn't really seem to but I'm guessing they cool from the same thing so it will just take several hours for fridge to cool.

We are driving it 9am PST.
Assuming it dives ok We are going to buy it.

Any thoughts form anyone.
I'm a bit concerned about dash cool/heat but know they don't really cool the coach so well and most people run the generator and heat pump/AC
Dash A/C fan is usually fused ... on ours it's in the master fuse box that is to the right of the Onan in a big black box ... accessible from outside. Under the cover of box is a big label with fuse locations. We use our dash A/C all the time while driving. Also, I would run the reefer until you are absolutely sure it cools on LP and shore power. Bring a digital refrigerator thermometer ... about $6 at Walmart. You need 40 or below (38 is pretty good) in main compartment and zero in freezer. They are a BIG expense to repair.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:05 AM   #92

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBFlTmer View Post
I had to replace AC/Heater fan in dash. Pretty easy job in our 95 W Winnebago. It was working when we got coach, then intermittently, then quit. Works great now. Access was under passenger side dash with easy acess panel held with a few screws.
Thanks I will check it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post

Dash A/C fan is usually fused ... on ours it's in the master fuse box that is to the right of the Onan in a big black box ... accessible from outside. Under the cover of box is a big label with fuse locations. We use our dash A/C all the time while driving. Also, I would run the reefer until you are absolutely sure it cools on LP and shore power. Bring a digital refrigerator thermometer ... about $6 at Walmart. You need 40 or below (38 is pretty good) in main compartment and zero in freezer. They are a BIG expense to repair.
I will check again for fuse. As original owners they have all manuals plus, plus, plus...

I brought a digital thermometer with me to check all things cold and hot. House Ac and heat worked great.
I will turn on Refer first thing and check it again after test drive.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks all, couldn't have gotten this far with out the help of this forum.

Mike
Old 05-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #93

Running the refer for an hour and a half and getting frost on the shelf is a pretty good indicator the expensive part (coil) is ok. From there, if it doesn't work on the other side (gas or elec.) repairs generally not that bad. We fire our refer up a day prior to hitting the road to give it a chance to cool down well, then precool everything going into it that first load. After that we avoid opening it any more than necessary. So yes, we baby it a bit, and in return it will keep our ice cream hard with t-stat set in the middle.

Blower thing probably easily diagnosed when you have time to collect and focus your thoughts. While mesing with that, consider setting your heater up to run in recirculating/max mode full time for enhanced performance. This lets the heater/ac use preheated/precooled air from inside the coach rather than trying to cool hot, or warm cold outside air?

Best of luck on your test run! I'm betting you're already hooked....
-Al
Old 05-21-2013, 06:29 AM   #94

Freightliner Owners Club
Here are a couple of pics from their add

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2208570246.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	39239

Name:	image-2846853286.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	39240

Name:	image-2688434273.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	39241

Mike
Old 05-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #95

Tiffin Owners Club
MJ,
I live in Pahrump and was also searching for Diesels. I recall seeing this ad. Was it on Craigslist? BTW, I didn't have to look too far. 3 houses down from me is one for sale. It's a 98 Gulfstream Sunvoyager with Cummins.

Bob
2009 Yamaha V star 1300
Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #96

As stated, the fan is easily replaced. Remove it and go to your NAPA store. They will most likely have in stock. When I replaced mine a couple of years ago I was surprised at how little it cost.....don't remember exactly, but for sure under $50.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #97

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mike, the AC side of the dash does a good job, however, the heat is not that great. The engine is rear and by the time hot air gets up front, well it is just warm. This coach looks very good and the pics look as if she has been well cared for. Having the service records and manuals is a very good indicator of a well maintained coach, IMHO! Best of luck!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #98

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis View Post
MJ,
I live in Pahrump and was also searching for Diesels. I recall seeing this ad. Was it on Craigslist? BTW, I didn't have to look too far. 3 houses down from me is one for sale. It's a 98 Gulfstream Sunvoyager with Cummins.

Bob
Hey Bob,

Yeah it's in Craigslist and RVT.
http://tucson.craigslist.org/rvs/3801754048.html
Coach is in Tucson.

I looked at a couple Golfstreams but know nothing about them. Are they any good?

Mike

Tags
diesel