Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #29

I 2nd Formerboater. I would pass on an LP generator. In your situation that isn't a good idea.
fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
FWIW I'm assuming you will not be financing. I've been told that it is easier cheaper to finance owning a home. So the advice was to buy your MH then sell your house in order to full time.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Mike

So far I've been using campground Internet when parked. I bought a wifi ranger. It's a repeater with an outside antenna. It works great when the signal is week on the lap top. Once it's connected the lap top and I phones then connect to the wifi ranger. Don't confuse this with a wifi range increaser at Walmart. They don't work very well. The wifi ranger is great. When there is no campground Internet or it stinks, I use my st&t iPhone hotspot. It works real well also.
Last year I traveled the east coast from Maine to Florida and had no issues. Right now I'm in Texas heading slowly north to Yellowstone. I'm hoping not have any issues. If I have to, I'll get a version hot spot to fill the gaps of needed. As I travel northward ill let you know how I make out.

Before this trip I had a desk installed over the end of my kitchen table. It's really working out as a desk and table.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1055412492.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	406.4 KB
ID:	36889

When we eat, the Lap top and stuff go on the desk and leave room on the table to eat. I use to have a separate desk. It just ate up too much room. We really like this layout and I can comfortably work.
I've been on rigs with 2 living room slides. One one each side and they are pretty wide. I have one slide in the living room and kitchen and life would not be the same without it. The extra 28 inches is welcomed when parked. But to each his own. You know what's best for you guys.
I wish you luck in the hunt for your traveling home.
Rick.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD2 View Post
Nice work. I especially like the raised floor recliner. Looks like it turned out great.

Nice MH, no slide. Nice second owner couple who owns it. Selling it for health reasons. All docs included.

Has a propane generator. Not sure how I feel about that.

Still looking but considering this one.

Still looking

Thanks guys,
Mike
I have one slide. If I had no slide I would have 1 less thing to work on. Lack of slide makes some of the Bluebirds very cool. Nice to have a bit more space but they are leaks waiting to happen. No experience with LP gensets ... mine is diesel and works fine.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #33

I bought a 2000 38' Dutch Star with 1 slide and a 330 Cat last Jan. for 35K with 4 new tires. There were no maint. records, but the coach was obviously well maintained. We love it.we've taken 1 3000 mi. trip so far, the only problem we encountered was finding diesel fuel at stations we could get into and out of with a toad when traveling off the Interstates. Twice we had to unhook the toad , because what looked like an exit to the station, wasn't.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:11 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will say this about diesels... they have their good and bad points. One bad point... they can and will be expensive to repair when things go wrong. Second... those claiming "diesels will last 1,000,000 miles" have never spent the fuel $$ to run 100,000 miles.
If youre crisscrossing the country and climbing high elevation grades... no doubt there isnt a tool better for the job than a diesel chassis. $30k will buy at least a 5-7yr old/2 slide 35' gas home that rivals a diesel in build quality and finish.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:17 AM   #35

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
Hi Mike

So far I've been using campground Internet when parked. I bought a wifi ranger. It's a repeater with an outside antenna. It works great when the signal is week on the lap top. Once it's connected the lap top and I phones then connect to the wifi ranger.
Last year I traveled the east coast from Maine to Florida and had no issues. Right now I'm in Texas heading slowly north to Yellowstone. I'm hoping not have any issues. If I have to, I'll get a version hot spot to fill the gaps of needed. As I travel northward ill let you know how I make out.

Before this trip I had a desk installed over the end of my kitchen table. It's really working out as a desk and table.

I've been on rigs with 2 living room slides. One one each side and they are pretty wide. I have one slide in the living room and kitchen and life would not be the same without it. The extra 28 inches is welcomed when parked. But to each his own. You know what's best for you guys.
I wish you luck in the hunt for your traveling home.
Rick.
I think we will want satellite internet. Probably Hugesnet. We will end up at some large events that tend to overwhelm the cell system.

Nice desk

After further discussion we really need a slide.

Thanks,
Mike
MJD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #36

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
I will say this about diesels... they have their good and bad points. One bad point... they can and will be expensive to repair when things go wrong. Second... those claiming "diesels will last 1,000,000 miles" have never spent the fuel $$ to run 100,000 miles.
If youre crisscrossing the country and climbing high elevation grades... no doubt there isnt a tool better for the job than a diesel chassis. $30k will buy at least a 5-7yr old/2 slide 35' gas home that rivals a diesel in build quality and finish.
I'm under the impression that pusher diesel rigs have a higher GVWR and towing capacity than gas rigs.
Their heavy duty auto leveling air ride suspension handles better on the highway.
Also that diesel rigs get better MPG which can offset the more expensive fuel.

I'm I wrong?

I know the repairs Parts/Labor are more, but with similar chassis and drive train train as Large trucks/busses that they should need fewer repairs. and I heard 500000 miles for a life of a diesel motorhome.

We decided diesel because we are going to live in this. We are not going to have a stick house anywhere/anymore. Driving around the US for work towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Originally my estimated annual miles were 20-30K. Last week one of my bigger customers mention having me do some additional work for them they may double that for 2014 and the future if it works out.

I would love to own a gas rig. I have worked on gas vehicles my whole life. Very familiar with dialing in the computers that run their engines. I'm not very diesel literate but sure I can learn.
However unless I'm missing something for the weight and amount of miles (some mountain) a diesel pusher is the best choice for us.

Am I thinking correctly?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #37

I think you're right on the money.

If you're at all unsure why not test drive a couple of gas powered MHs and decide which you prefer being in ?
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:55 AM   #38

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
I think you're right on the money.

If you're at all unsure why not test drive a couple of gas powered MHs and decide which you prefer being in ?

I'm sure we need a diesel pusher. But as an almost new motorhome owner want to listen and learn from those with more experience.

The test driving gas rigs is a good idea.

hate salesman.... Whenever I go to an RV sales lot I end up upsetting the salesman before we ever get out of the showroom. Not sure if its a gift or a curse.... Same way at most car lots.... I have to do a lot of biting my tongue.

We are not quite ready to buy yet. Most like will buy late May or early June. We will test drive a few then.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #39

I wouldn't want to spend much time in a coach without a slide. Can I? Sure, but I'm NOT going to be as comfortable. Doing what you're describing, comfort would be at/near the top of my list. The Diplomat/Endeavor system pretty reliable in my experience. Should be attainable in your price range without too much difficulty?

Speaking of Endeavor/Diplomat (sister ships), I've seen lately they are DRAMITCALLY lighter than a LOT of coaches. Like 20% or so? They're aluminum from the floor line up, the only steel (I'm aware of) is in a roll bar right behind the front seats. Thinking maintenance issues and fuel milage here?

Internet through a mobile hot spot (which amounts to a cell phone without a keyboard) works great in almost all campgrounds unless your're WAY out in the boonies, down in some "hole" in the hills, or both! If your phone works, you'll have an internet connection. We've been using one for 2 years now. Awesome.

Dp is the plan for heavier chassis components used, more deluxe appliances, air suspension, real braking power, exhaust brakes, and a lot of other reasons. Rad. location not that big a deal 99.99% of the time. I can change the serpentine belt on our rear rad. in half an hour or less. Of course cleaning myself up afterward takes nearly as long!

Diesel genny a must if you plan on using it much - and you likely will traveling when it's warm. Many use them to run roof AC's when on the road in warmer temps.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD2 View Post

The test driving gas rigs is a good idea.

hate salesman.... Whenever I go to an RV sales lot I end up upsetting the salesman before we ever get out of the showroom. Not sure if its a gift or a curse.... Same way at most car lots.... I have to do a lot of biting my tongue.

Thanks for the advice.
Many RV salespeople make used car salesman seem like choir boys but if you find a good one they can be very helpful. Friends just shopped for an RV at Lazy Days in Tucson and couldn't say enough good things about how they were treated there.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have to concur with ahicks. We have a 40 ft endeavor with 2 slides, and weighs out about 24,200 with a a half a tank of fuel, 1/3 tank of water. I sure wouldn't even consider selling anywhere near 30k. I bought mine for 48k with 37k miles on it over a year and half ago.

Yes there are deals out there now, but the diplomat/endeavor chassis is just a solid chassis. There is nothing wrong with a 36-38 ft mid to late 90's model, and if you want slides you will probably have to go higher mileage, and the mid range or more of 30k. And, yes 500k is reasonable, with normal maintenance. I'm sure you can tell I'm not exactly objective about these rigs.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #42

If you are the type of person (people) are not only able, but prefer, to fix things yourself, then age becomes less important.

If the Drive Train checks out OK, everything else is, in my view is less important, and a "tinkerer" relishes the opportunity.

My 1967 MCI Bus has cost me almost nothing in the way of expenses (comparably) as I employ the KISS method of RVing, and find the, what I call "glitter box" type of RV unbearable.

Just doing it "My Way".

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel