Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #15

I have a 36' DP and often pulled my 20 foot Ranger and launched it with no problem. I think its more of a common sense problem. If the ramp is too steep or if it is wet and covered with lake slime then you need to use your head. But the weight of the back end of the Motor Home gave better traction and I launched without problems at ramps that I had problems with the light weight rear end of a Pickup truck. If the Motor Home has the towing capacity to handle the boat it should not be a problem with launching.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2011, 02:35 PM   #16

Just happened by and saw this interesting thread. I am not a current Class A owner (currently have a Class C). However, I have and still do launch a 4700 lb boat (backing into the water) quite successfully. The Class A was a 88 24' Southwind with a 454 (carb) the current Class C is E450 with V10. Both have plenty of juice to launch and retrieve my Ranger. I am sure the right combo on a DP should easily do the trick -- happy camping - happy boating (doesn't get much better) Just my $.02

Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #17

I use a 40 foot DP to launch my boat. I've had no problems, but I only use paves or concrete launch ramps.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:33 PM   #18

Thanks for the personal experiance! One of the things I am looking forward to is AIR BRAKES! At present I really can not trust the emergancy brake on our camper to hold the whole load and not let it creap back..even with the motor off and in reverse it will chug and let the camper move about 3" ...first time it happened I nearly had a heart attack! My main concern is the ISC but it does sound like it may have the grunt required...our truck currently just gets by on having a grunt low first gear..
Old 10-18-2011, 10:21 PM   #19

you beat me to it. I was going to suggest air brakes vice juice brakes. While I prefer the feel of the juice brakes on my 99 Beaver, I have to back down a slope similar to a shallow boat ramp to get out of my driveway. I noticed that with the torque of the Cat, I have to really STAND ON IT to control the speed downslope in reverse. I also squats the rear suspension so far that the hitch digs in at the bottom. I finally figured out to just put the coach in neutral once the back tires were on the slope and let it roll back, engaging reverse once the fronts are on level ground. So I wouldn't launch a boat with that setup, especially since the allison takes about 3/4 of a second to change gear.

the other thing is smallest/lightest coach with the biggest engine you can find to give you the best combined power/weight ratio. A short country coach comes to mind. some of them had the big Cummins at a 34' length.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:35 PM   #20

When I was looking for a Class A two years ago I liked the American Dreams a lot. I will tell you though that the 40' ones have a much better chassis length to house length ratio. You will need a long chassis to be stable pulling the boat.

Some of the super C motor homes like the Dynamax have really huge towing capacity. They also come in shorter sizes and have long chassis.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #21

We used to be a Truck/Camper combo with a 21 foot Trophy Boat launching on slimy saltchuck ramps. The front receiver setup was the best for that. Now we have a 40 foot Safari DP, no air brakes, just juice brakes. What concerns me especially on steep ramps is the emergency brake setup, i.e., most are nothing more than a clamp around the Allison output shaft, and that scares me. I was considering carrying and using a set of "Chocks." And another consideration at least for me is that the Boat Trailer has a Power Winch requiring a high amperage draw. My coach's batteries are located ahead of the passenger side duals, so that necessitates a long harness setup.

I know the place we go on the north end of Vancouver Island (www.alderbayresort.com) will perform the launch & retrieve but does require advanced notification.
JohnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:22 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I used to launch my 23' proline with my 16' box truck. I never had a problem at all. I'll bet you will be just fine, although you're going to have an audience from time to time. I have a 350hp cummings and I know i could easily pull a 8000lb or 9000lb boat up a ramp. Oh also you are going to have a back up camera as an aid for backing up!
Old 10-23-2011, 08:00 PM   #23

I do not know about backing a 40' M/H down a boat ramp hum. I suppose you can do it. but as your rear coach wheels start down the ramp you will loose ground clearance very quickly (as I remember American coach like Foretravel has a very low ground clearance), and even with air parking brakes they will only hold so much. Stogie had a good point good since must prevail. Also how many boat ramps will be able to accomadate 60-70' of vehicle and trailer. I suppose if you know the ramp things would be ok, I dont' think power would be an issue though. good luck.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:48 PM   #24

Thanks for the replies and the thoughts! We are still kicking tires at present, I have short listed either a 2008 or newer Newmar Dutch Star 3625 or 2009 or newer Tiffin Allegro Bus 36QSP. Both of these are the right size and floor plan and have BIG power, now I just have to keep waiting and looking (and saving) until the right one pops up I guess! In the mean time I am going to lurk here and learn alot! The first time we try the boat launch attempt I will worried about the ground clearance at the top of the ramp for sure, if all works out timing wise I will be able to try it when there is no one waiting so we can go as slow and carefully as possible.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme244tug View Post
Thanks for the replies and the thoughts! We are still kicking tires at present, I have short listed either a 2008 or newer Newmar Dutch Star 3625 or 2009 or newer Tiffin Allegro Bus 36QSP. Both of these are the right size and floor plan and have BIG power, now I just have to keep waiting and looking (and saving) until the right one pops up I guess! In the mean time I am going to lurk here and learn alot! The first time we try the boat launch attempt I will worried about the ground clearance at the top of the ramp for sure, if all works out timing wise I will be able to try it when there is no one waiting so we can go as slow and carefully as possible.
Keep looking in these times deals are out there especally if you don't have a trade, are willing to travel to get it. both the coaches you are looking at are great coaches.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #26

I just recently bought a class A to tow my boat after using a truck/camper for 20 years. I have a 2700lb boat and trailer (boat is 19.5 ft, 25 ft with trailer), and I selected a shorter MH because I wanted to be able to make a U-turn on a boat ramp. I ended up with the MH in my signature. Another alternative would have been to put a front hitch on a longer MH to avoid ramp U-turns, but mounting a front hitch can be problematic on some MHs with front engines and fiberglass bodies. Diesel pushers might be easier for this, but they can be really big. Another thing I've seen on some trailers is a telescoping tongue that allows you to extend the tongue out so that you don't get your wheels on the slimy part of the ramp. The telescoping is done just before backing down the ramp.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:31 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
There is one more concern you should be aware of. I have a 98 Luxor-37'. I love the lenght and how handy it is. The reason it is handy is the shorter wheel base on a 37' compared to 40'. They made it shorter by moving the rear wheel ahead so to speak. This gives you a tremendous rear overhang. Now picture backing down a steep ramp, or a sharp transition at the top. In some instances DW can walk under the rear bumper, do you get the picture of what this does to the boat and trailer?
Old 10-26-2011, 09:47 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
hi Xtreme

for what's its worth....
This past September we crossed the border from south of Fernie into Montana. After having crossed the border, while driving south, we have never seen so many motorhome (all different shapes & sizes) pulling boats (all different shapes and sizes). It became laughable after a while.

So,my point is; some people do this.

regards, pdq

and gripper - LOVE that pic :-)

pdq_bc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, towing