Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2011, 10:41 PM   #1

Diesel pusher for towing and (boat) launching

Hello everyone.

I have been lurking for awhile and was looking for some input on our plans for a diesel pusher to replace our truck and camper combo. Our primary use is to camp, with our boat (hence the name). We have a Chaparrel Xtreme 244 boat (total weight about 6500lb) that is 27' long on the trailer. Our truck is now too small inside (1993 dodge diesel extended cab two wheel drive) and to upgrade the truck will be a significant amount and "the admiral" wants to be able to access the unit from inside.. so a motorhome is it..we do not use the truck for anything other than to hold the camper. I am very partial to diesel just from a power and longevity standpoint. We live in Alberta Canada so there is alot of mountains whereever we camp. The admiral is determined that we can not go over 38 feet from a overlength perspective. I have found a 2000 American Dream 37 however it has the ISC 350hp. I am concerned that the ISC may be smallish for 29000lb of coach and 7000lb of boat, especially when we will have to launch and retrieve , and some ramps can be fairly steep. I would love an ISL in a newer coach but not sure if that makes sense right now. (we have a 10 year old so will be working for a long time!) Opinions? All are welcome! Sorry for the long post but I hoped the detail would help..Any suggestions on a good choice?
Xtreme244tug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2011, 11:44 PM   #2

Check the coach , GVW & GCVW, I think you will find that the tow weight rating on that unit will only be 5000 lbs. A lot of people will tell you " You'll be fine. " But ( JMHO ) the last place you want to be with an overloaded coach is on a steep boat ramp, if you can find one where you can manouver 65' of coach & trailer. Or trying to explain to the RCMP or your insurance coumpany why you chose to drive an overloaded unit.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:27 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi and Welcome, you might want to click the search tab at the top and enter boat towing for some info. IMO backing down a ramp with a coach is looking for a problem sooner or later. A front hitch and driving in and backing out seem wiser.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:13 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
My 32000 lb coach has a Diesel and can tow up to 10000 lbs. It pulls the toad with eze on every mountain that I have come across. When I drive it into the building that I store it in there is a 1" difference in the drive and the floor of the building if I stop at the door it sometimes apears to me that the engine will die before I get enough power to climb that inch. The diesel needs to build up RPM's to develop the power it needs to pull the weight of the coach, let alone a boat on a ramp.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:25 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme244tug View Post
Hello everyone.

I have been lurking for awhile and was looking for some input on our plans for a diesel pusher to replace our truck and camper combo. Our primary use is to camp, with our boat (hence the name). We have a Chaparrel Xtreme 244 boat (total weight about 6500lb) that is 27' long on the trailer. Our truck is now too small inside (1993 dodge diesel extended cab two wheel drive) and to upgrade the truck will be a significant amount and "the admiral" wants to be able to access the unit from inside.. so a motorhome is it..we do not use the truck for anything other than to hold the camper. I am very partial to diesel just from a power and longevity standpoint. We live in Alberta Canada so there is alot of mountains whereever we camp. The admiral is determined that we can not go over 38 feet from a overlength perspective. I have found a 2000 American Dream 37 however it has the ISC 350hp. I am concerned that the ISC may be smallish for 29000lb of coach and 7000lb of boat, especially when we will have to launch and retrieve , and some ramps can be fairly steep. I would love an ISL in a newer coach but not sure if that makes sense right now. (we have a 10 year old so will be working for a long time!) Opinions? All are welcome! Sorry for the long post but I hoped the detail would help..Any suggestions on a good choice?
The concern that I would have besides making sure of the RV's towing capacity is that backing down a steep ramp you could possibly submerge the rear bays and flood them. My RV has the electrial hook up, converter and inverter in the rear bays. Something to consider.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:27 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dre View Post
When I drive it into the building that I store it in there is a 1" difference in the drive and the floor of the building if I stop at the door it sometimes apears to me that the engine will die before I get enough power to climb that inch. The diesel needs to build up RPM's to develop the power it needs to pull the weight of the coach, let alone a boat on a ramp.
That may be the reason to use a front hitch to pull out of the boat ramp.

A Allison MH 3000 transmission has a 1st gear ratio of 3:49:1 and the Reverse is 5:03:1
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:28 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here's someone that didn't do their homework! It's is what always worries me, when the DW says "Let's pull our boat to the park and go boating"!

Old 10-17-2011, 07:13 PM   #8

Thanks everyone, The dream has a 10,000lb towing capacity and I have checked the cargo capacity of all the DH that we have looked at. I have searched on the boat launching with an A class but really havent had too much reassurance either way, only a few "been there done that" answers. We currently launch with a truck with a large camper on it and while it has a front hitch as well we have never used it, as I prefer to see where I am going (you can look down a ramp and see the water as you pull by, but backing UP a ramp and around the corner while looking for a parking place is not something that sounds very fun!) I do agree that the lower reverse gear may be the one reason to do that! We have never gotton the bumper on the truck wet while launching so I don't think we have to fret about that with the motor home.. (I wonder if that is more of a regional/ocean/ tide thing?) No salt water for us! Anyone using an ISC to tow a LARGE Toad or boat?
Old 10-17-2011, 07:27 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dre View Post
My 32000 lb coach has a Diesel and can tow up to 10000 lbs. It pulls the toad with eze on every mountain that I have come across. When I drive it into the building that I store it in there is a 1" difference in the drive and the floor of the building if I stop at the door it sometimes appears to me that the engine will die before I get enough power to climb that inch. The diesel needs to build up RPM's to develop the power it needs to pull the weight of the coach, let alone a boat on a ramp.
Build up RPM's? An ISC 350 has all it's torque at 1400 rpm and and the ISL is 1300, the larger engines are even lower. Our DSDP (also about 32,000#'s) will start moving if I release the brakes at idle (800 rpm).
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gripper View Post
Here's someone that didn't do their homework! It's is what always worries me, when the DW says "Let's pull our boat to the park and go boating"!

Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA,
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '21 Jeep JLU Rubicon Ecodiesel
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme244tug
Thanks everyone, The dream has a 10,000lb towing capacity and I have checked the cargo capacity of all the DH that we have looked at. I have searched on the boat launching with an A class but really havent had too much reassurance either way, only a few "been there done that" answers. We currently launch with a truck with a large camper on it and while it has a front hitch as well we have never used it, as I prefer to see where I am going (you can look down a ramp and see the water as you pull by, but backing UP a ramp and around the corner while looking for a parking place is not something that sounds very fun!) I do agree that the lower reverse gear may be the one reason to do that! We have never gotton the bumper on the truck wet while launching so I don't think we have to fret about that with the motor home.. (I wonder if that is more of a regional/ocean/ tide thing?) No salt water for us! Anyone using an ISC to tow a LARGE Toad or boat?
I've had alot of experience at the ramp. Though you may have never gotten the back bumper of your truck wet when launching you will have a much longer overhang on your motor home behind the back wheels than on your truck. Unless the ramp is very steep it's almost a given that your are going to get the back of the motor home in the water when launching. I have a 40' coach and it probably has 7'-8' hanging out past the back tires.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanjeep View Post
I've had alot of experience at the ramp. Though you may have never gotten the back bumper of your truck wet when launching you will have a much longer overhang on your motor home behind the back wheels than on your truck. Unless the ramp is very steep it's almost a given that your are going to get the back of the motor home in the water when launching. I have a 40' coach and it probably has 7'-8' hanging out past the back tires.
Thanks Deanjeep, I must be confused. The hitch is on the back bumper of the truck or motorhome, does'nt really matter where the back tires of either is, does it? I am just trying to understand. If the boat trailer has to go in the water for 30 feet to float the boat off or on, that would equate to the same spot for both vehicles?
Old 10-18-2011, 03:49 AM   #13

You know what, you are right about that. Guess i don't know what I was thinking. I will say that you will want to use a ramp with a steeper approach. The shallower the approach, the further you have to back in to get the boat to float. Hope that once you launch your boat it can stay in the water until you break camp. Be a pain to have to launch and retrieve every day. American makes a nice coach and I think you will like the difference in going down the road in the Moho vs. your truck. I tell everyone it's like going down the road in my living room :-). Good luck.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Or, they just forgot to set the brakes!! We don't know what caused this, could be all human error or a mechanical failure.

Tags
diesel, towing