Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2011, 08:12 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to frederick w
Diesel pusher-propane gen? pros-cons.

I'm looking at a 96 Beaver diesel pusher that uses prophane to
run it, not diesel fuel..

Should I shy away from a MH that has a prophane gen? Prophane isnt cheap.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I have no idea how efficient one is.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #2

You will never have to change the oil or filter.
They run so clean there is not any/much oil filth, just does not happen.
I changed my oil in my Desert Fox toyhauler genny twice in EIGHT years.
Once when it was new to us and once four years later.
We towed it 85K miles and nearly always dry camped and used the genny when needed and whenever it was convenient.
Don't let that alone be a deterrent from a purchase, does it have a propane BBQ too? IMHO.
My current moho uses diesel for the genny but that is how it goes.
I will have to get with the program on that but if I had a choice it would be propane.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Propane gen would be a deal breaker for us, had one in our 2000 DSDP. In a five day period we went through two 10 gallon tanks and most of our onboard 40 gallon (32 usable) tank. Was in Redmond OR with the daytime temps in the 90's
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:12 PM   #4

Isn't propane way cheaper than diesel? One benefit is they usually come with a bigger on board propane tank that comes in handy if you stay in it when you don't need to run the genny, you can run the fridge and heat for way longer without filling the propane.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:38 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelowna View Post
Isn't propane way cheaper than diesel? One benefit is they usually come with a bigger on board propane tank that comes in handy if you stay in it when you don't need to run the genny, you can run the fridge and heat for way longer without filling the propane.
Propane here is about $3.259/gallon, diesel is finally down to $4.059 as of today. Propane cheaper? Yes but not much and you'll burn far more propane then diesel.
A propane generator will burn about twice the number of gallons of propane as a diesel one will. Our 8.0Kw diesel burns less than gallon per hour at full load. Our propane 6.2 Kw gen burned over a gallon per hour, not even fully loaded.
Propane has 91,600 BTU's per gallon
Diesel is 147,000 BTU's per gallon although that varies with #1 (winter blend) or #2 (summer blend)
Both our DSDP's have had 40 gallon (32 usable) propane tanks. The propane gens are usually air cooled rather than liquid and far noisier than the diesels. Ours threw the breaker twice in that 5 day period due to overheating.
Deal breaker for us.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:48 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Fred.......The older propane units. like the one you're looking at is REALLY loud. It would be a deal breaker for me because of the noise and the amount of propane they burn. If you rarely intend to use the generator, go for it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:49 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
A propane generator was on our "deal breaker" list when we were looking.

For some users it would be fine but we like to get away from campgrounds and most of our time will be spent up in the mountains in cooler temps. I didn't want to share our heating gas with a generator which will be run to charge batteries, much better to fill the diesel tank before camping and have no worries. Plus as has been stated a propane genny is louder than an Onan Quiet Diesel and much thirstier.

If you otherwise like the coach and you're going to be going mostly places you will have power and aren't going to be running it 5-6 hours while driving to run the house ACs on the road in hot weather then IMO it should be fine.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:29 AM   #8

Our first diesel pusher had a propane generator, our second has diesel. In our experience, the diesel generator is vastly superior to the propane unit. Much quieter, lower fuel consumption. We primarily dry camp, and use the generator a lot. Hence, a propane generator would be a MAJOR drawback to us.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:46 AM   #9

A Propane generator would be a deal breaker for me. Propane is harder to find in a location the has easy access, and propane generators like lots of it.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:14 PM   #10

Wow....I must be in the minority!!! My 6.5 Onan LPG is awesome. And it is VERY quiet which was a nice suprise in a older motorhome like I have. We actually used a decibal meter to compare it to my freinds Onan 5500 gas genny(in a 2002 rv) and mine was 5 db less noisy. I can't really say if it is a propane hog since this is my first RV but I've been pleased with it so far.
MoparHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:43 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
WE had a propane gennnie in our Rexhall. It was quiet. It sucked the propane and when running it and the furnace we had to refill every three days in florida. When on the highway it would pop and sound like it was back firing. We put a pice of sheet metal in front of the air clearner to deflect the air flow and it stopped. It was a generic model and we had trouble getting any service. I wouldn't purchase another with a propane genny.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:24 PM   #12

Our first MH had a diesel generator, our current one has a propane one. The propane gen is very thirsty, it was nice to not worry about running out of fuel with the diesel. Am currently concidering pulling the propane out and replacing with a diesel, not sure what it would take but it just might be worth the funds.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:55 PM   #13

You really want a diesel genny that feeds off your main fuel tank.

Propane as a fuel is fine, but you do not want to be filling up often.

FWIW, we have a propane stove top, range, two furances and dual Hot Water Heater and Refrigerator.

Just refilled after 23 months....but we do not have to run the furnaces much down here in Florida and the Eagle has a 40 gallon propane tank.

Dave
1998 American Eagle 40 EVS
Old 11-30-2011, 11:35 PM   #14

Each fuel type has pros and cons.

My 96 has a propane 6500 Onan. It is very quiet and compared to a buds 95 Kubota diesel powered Onan....I do think the propane is a weeee bit quieter

I did not let the fuel type of the genny stop my buying of the coach that fit my needs

Tags
diesel