Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #29

Really like our current rig. Great drivetrain ( Cummins 6.7L 350HP/750Torque - Allison 3000 6speed trans.) that gets an honest 10MPG with adequate power to pull a 5K toad. Winnebago Journey is the same basic model. Available as a 37 or 39 footer.

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2012, 09:03 PM   #30

For all the discussion about how tag coaches are so much more stable, I have to say that driving my 40' non-tag is about as easy as it gets until you get into severe winds (35+mph). Then it takes concentration, but not all that much.

But, for example, driving home in average conditions (not dead still wind or anything) I was cruising along with one hand resting on the wheel, making no more corrections than I do in my car.

And being able to carry 3,000 pounds beyond full water/propane/fuel, as someone that's not FT, that's just not so bad. We just don't have that much stuff, to the point that I haven't even investigated the axle ratings (since the ratings on them as published are clearly tire limited -- they are the exact max loads of 255/80R22.5's)

Steve

Old 08-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #31

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by szy View Post
But the question is why would one want to do a single axle ?
Tags are more stable .... on and on
Some years ago Country Coach (I think they were the ones) produced a line of coaches that had a 24,000# axle. They ended up buying them back or replacing them as they weren't legal to be on the highway and some toll roads back east banned them.

I'm not sure about tag axles though, if they lift or lower the pressure I guess they're OK and the extra capacity is nice in case you carry your rock collection along.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:48 PM   #32

For many reasons, we went with a tag unit. When on our search, we found tags from 38' up. With many available in the 40' range. We bought the coach interior as much as we bought the tag and side radiator, as all three we felt were important. Our 04 40' CC Allure, has over 11K of CCC. It's stable, has extra brakes, and gee - tag's look cool!

We had set our budget first, then we dropped years to retain the Quality Level of coach we desired. We wanted substance/value more then glitz. And the Allure line of that era delivered the minimum level of chassis mechanical we would consider. This unit is pushed well with the ISL and 3000 trans.

I would have liked Comfort Drive, Newmar, but the used rigs with it were out of our budget range.

To the OP - good luck with your search. Get what you feel is important to you, and the quality you like. Newmar makes a good coach, as does American Coach, Monaco , Travel Supreme, Foretravel and don't forget to look at Birds/Wanderlodges too... Have fun,
Smitty
Old 08-29-2012, 12:56 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcfaror View Post
Currently own a 2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor (38'/2 slide/330 cummins/8 bag roadmaster). Looking for advice from all of your on our next coach. We are primarily 3-4 day weekend RV'ers as we both work, with typically a couple of two week trips each year. We are out at least 2-3 weekends a month in the coach and live in Oregon so would like to be able to use the coach year-round. Happy with our coach but would like (1) smoother ride and better handling, (2) more room with extra slides, (3) aqua hot or system that would give us more flexibility in the winter, (4) layout with 2 euro chairs & flatscreens.

Here are the type of coaches we are looking at (primarily to get better insulation and Spartan chassis): Newmar Ventana/Dutch Star, Country Coach. Would LOVE an Entegra Aspire, but that will have to wait a few years as our price range needs to be under 200k.

I would love to your advice on what coaches you think we should explore further...or are we already on the right track?
I would also like your advice on aqua hot or not for winter camping (winter here means no lower than 25 in the winter) and LP versus diesel fired Aqua Hot?

Thanks in advance.....love to hear from the experts on this board!
I am going to get blasted for this but honestly as full-timers working here in the northwest (near Issaquah, WA) we were in a 33 foot MH and barely made it into many of the campgrounds up here. Since we don't travel much like you now we felt we could get soo much more in living space and features dollar for dollar in a good 5th wheel. I pay a local driver to haul it when I need it moved and I feel it is easier to pay him a couple hundred dollars than to make those payments on our motorhome or pay for gas to get somewere or to pay for truck payments and insurance ect....works out great.

We were able to buy a 40' KZ Escalade REB loaded with fireplace washer/dryer and the list goes on...huge living room. I work at Microsoft and work mostly at home and I'm quite comfortable and have three screens hooked to my laptop. bragging sorry...tacky I know.

Anyway, try and think a bit differently about what it is you actually do and how you go about it. Look at the market and exploit it to your advantage. I found that by seeing our MH at simply a big expensive truck with a large camper shell on it I realized I was paying for all that truck and not getting enough camper...maybe ok for folks who travel a lot of course but our KZ lists fully loaded for nearly $100K and we payed it off in 6 months because of our lifestyle....we live in it and we don't need the truck I hire it out.

Just food for thought...
Old 08-29-2012, 07:27 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
tag

Back to my earlier post, have you noticed how many large trucks have a lot of wheels on the ground to haul their weight? I weighed my 2004 single axle 40 foot Monaco Camelot. It weighs 10,000 pounds on the front, 13000 pound axle [ my fuel tank was full, it is the first place behind front wheels] The rear axle was 20,400 pounds. This was loaded up the way we travel, I had full tank of water, 100 gallons.[1000 pounds] The rear axle is next to the fresh water tank. I do not carry full tank of water when we travel.This way my rear axle is the legal 20,000 pounds. The owner before me had a motorcycle lift on the rear that I had removed. I wonder how much it was over weight on the rear axle at that time? I pull a Jeep GC 4 down. As long as motor homes do not have to go over scales on the interstate roads we are OK. If they stop you? How will you lower the coach weight if it was built to heavy in the first place? Just food for thought before one buys a Motor home?
Rebel
Old 08-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
As for Aqua Hot....GREAT system for heating your rig. But there are some other interesting benefits besides just the heat. When the Aqua Hot is running it also preheats the engine. It also supplies UNLIMITED hot water. The Aqua hot also has an electric element for heating water when you don't need a lot of water for example a quick shower for one, washing dishes or doing a load of laundry.
patmsp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:10 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelone View Post
Back to my earlier post, have you noticed how many large trucks have a lot of wheels on the ground to haul their weight? I weighed my 2004 single axle 40 foot Monaco Camelot. It weighs 10,000 pounds on the front, 13000 pound axle [ my fuel tank was full, it is the first place behind front wheels] The rear axle was 20,400 pounds. ...
I started a thread about t his subject at

Weight and Balance - What are your Axle Weights?

If you or others would like to add your info for others to learn from that would be great.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have owned 2 DP, first one a 2 year old American Eagle 40' single slide (1999); absolutely a great coach and still looked brand new. Second one I just purchased 3/12; a 2009 American Eagle 42' tag with aquahot. I haven't used it yet in the winter, but I am planning a week in Breckenridge in late Dec/first of Jan. I have no concerns as my '99 I used many times in subzero weather, only issue I had was the gate valve on my holding tank froze shut in -20 degree air temperature. I will put a trouble light in that compartment and I only use fresh water holding tank unless I need to fill it.

American service and parts people are very helpful and always willing to assist. I also looked at Newell, Country Coach and Monaco, but my first experience for 11 years with American Coach I decided to stay with them.

Good luck, but purchasing used is much less depreciation, but I would strongly urge you to check with insurance and see if you can get Replacement Cost or Agreed Value type policy and how many years you can go back. Well worth it if you have a catastrophe like I did (fire) and I was able to get my original purchase price on my 1999.

RV's are lot like boats, full of trade-offs so I would prioritize what features are most important to you to narrow the search. There are many great used coach's available as I just found a 2001 American Eagle 40' 2 slides for my brother for $75k. Stay patient and you won't make a mistake. Good luck!
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Thumbs up tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by athuddriver View Post
I started a thread about t his subject at

Weight and Balance - What are your Axle Weights?

If you or others would like to add your info for others to learn from that would be great.
That is a great post, lots of good info there.
Thanks
Rebelone
Old 08-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #39

To OP, the most helpful advice I would give is not to compromise on anything you and DO desire (if in budget), be it tile floor throughout, KING BED, booth dining area, AquaHot, tag, or whatever. This is voice of experience from one who compromised, was a bit hasty, did not research & consider long enough, etc. Be happy and sure of choice, you will feel better in the long run (mind, body, and financially). Even compromising a little because of good deal is,IMO, not worth it in long run.
B
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #40

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
For all the discussion about how tag coaches are so much more stable, I have to say that driving my 40' non-tag is about as easy as it gets until you get into severe winds (35+mph). Then it takes concentration, but not all that much.

But, for example, driving home in average conditions (not dead still wind or anything) I was cruising along with one hand resting on the wheel, making no more corrections than I do in my car.

And being able to carry 3,000 pounds beyond full water/propane/fuel, as someone that's not FT, that's just not so bad. We just don't have that much stuff, to the point that I haven't even investigated the axle ratings (since the ratings on them as published are clearly tire limited -- they are the exact max loads of 255/80R22.5's)

Steve
X2; My two-axle 33,000 lb MH tracks as straight as an arrow and I can hardly feel winds until they get well above 25-30 mph. We are full-timers and the CCC of our coach is more than adequate for our needs and we carry all my DW's quilting and sewing supplies. The last time we had 4-wheel weighing done we were within spec on all wheels. I'm sure if I had more space I would carry more stuff, but I don't need a higher CCC for the space we do have.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #41

I have a 2011 Monaco diplomat tag and I pull 24 foot stacker trailer no problems in winds or hills very stable unit . I had 2002 Newmar ds 40 ft and I also pulled stacker trailer with it was ok but no comparison to the tag. Find tag axle unit turns handles way better than my non tag, way more stable would never go back
Old 09-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmpbauer View Post
We looked really hard when getting our 3rd coach. We finally settled on a 40' Phaeton by Tiffin. It has a fair balance of space and storage for full/half-timing. We still work, but have summers off, so during that time, we are full-time, and I can take everything and don't feel cramped. If we went to a 43' tag, we actually lose storage in the basement. I've avoided the AquaHot and dishwasher because of the lost storage space and the lack of need for the heating capacity in the very temperate weather we chase. We did opt for 3 roof heat pumps and a 10KW Genset. A great value for the money IMHO.

We have recently purchased a 2005 Signature 42' Driove it from Ar. to Pa. and was totally blown away. Has 33,000 miles on it and looks new. Few minnor issues that were probably caused by sitting to long. Seems fine now. Love the coach so far.

Tags
country coach, diesel, newmar, purchase, spartan