Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2014, 05:47 PM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Always makes mw wonder why people are selling a very new RV. Did they get a lemon and are dumping it, health problems, etc?

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2014, 06:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
Buying slightly used will give you a coach that hopefully has had all yhose nuisance warranty issues resolved already. Newell, Foretravel, Prevost you will need to go older to be in your price range.

If you're not going FT, why would you purchase a coach this expensive just to fool around with.
Why spend so much only to use it PT, you ask. I'll tell you why - HE CAN WELL AFFORD IT. And I don't even know him.

Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #17

Buy quality over bling. Pay an expert to inspect before you buy. Make sure there are complete maintenance logs and manuals. For PT use, an older Prevost without slides sounds like a dream. The Prevost owners I've met say they can drive it all day and never get tired. After all, they make Greyhound buses. My Holiday Rambler is tiring to drive and I've had it checked out.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:43 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn55 View Post
what is the best A class dp for 325,000 or less or slightly more. that can do everything and has a tag for a discriminating user, that likes motorcycles, tailgates, the great northwest. I'm not going to live in it but would be nice to know i could if my wife left me because i bought an rv. new or slightly used.
First place to start is floor plan then go for bells and whistles. Do you want slides? Again, the floor plan makes the coach. Winnebago industries makes a good looking coach and there are many of us who are very happy with them. But be aware that most all of the manufactures have 'issues'. Quality control is one of the major ones across the industry.

The floor plan of this coach we are in is great for us. The QD is a tag and has more bells and whistles. Most of the coaches use the same parts manufactures and chassis builders. When push comes to shove, the dealers either make or brake the reputation of most manufactures. Some manufactures do bring a bad rap upon themselves. Winnebago has a mixed review but most of the time do well in getting things corrected. They have one of the best after sales support site in the industry. So, we may not be in the top $ arena but we do have fun in our 'slum' RV's.
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:02 PM   #19

Mid Atlantic Campers
Go to an RV Show and look around. Then go to a large Rv sales. Test drive a few different ones....then...GO HOME and research before you fall in love. There are many people that buy high end coaches that end up not using them or have health issues and sell them. Ask for maintenance logs and garage kept is a big plus. Oh, get a bath and a half, everyone really loves them!
Old 09-21-2014, 09:34 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to vandog
We looked at many pre-owned coach's and finally decided on a new....leftover 2014 Fleetwood Discovery with the perfect floorplan for us. Yes, we have had some issues but Fleetwood Tech has been great at handling our issues via email and sending parts to us wherever we may be. The savings was substantial and I like having a warranty, which pre-owned did not come with. With the money we saved we purchased a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk as a toad.
vandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:37 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I do not know anything about the new fleetwood coaches. A friend was a fleetwood dealer and stopped carrying them because of leak issues. This was about ten years ago when that happened. In 2012 when we started looking at class A we were looking at them in a dealership. They had a fleetwood that we saw and the salesman told us it was going to be for sale but they owner had it in for fixing a roof leak before fixing it. We stayed away from them because of that.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:44 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
I might have not stated clearly what I was thinking. Yes, for that money an Allegro Bus or even Zephyr could be gotten. What I meant with that statement is that spending that amount of money for PT use does not make sense to me. For PT use I would think even a lower end coach would be acceptable such as a lower end Tiffin DP. The amount of funds needed for this type coach would be considerably less than that quoted by the OP.

And yes, if we had not found the used CC we have, the Allegro Bus was at or near the top of our list. Tiffin, Newmar, Entegra, American Coach and many others make quality coaches, but for PT I would be looking at something less than the top of the line for these brands.
I was not disagreeing with you. I was just pointing out that with that budget he would not have to go for that old a Allegro Bus he could get fairly new and possibly new.

I understand your viewpoint on the PT. I think for under 200,000 well below his budget he could get around a 2006 or 1007 Allegro Bus or Winnebago Journey both of those are nice coaches and He can probably find either one with all of the new coach problems fixed. For around 5000 he can get a 3 yr or 36,000 mile bumper to bumper style warranty that would take care of any problems that the unit had. He would have a good coach that would have already taken the hit from depreciation and be very good for PT use.
I looked at 2013 winnebago journeys in a dealership it was around 425,000 right next to it was a new 2012 same model almost exactly same options. it was 300,000 just a year older and they wanted to get it off of the lot. 125,000 is a huge hit just to be a year older.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:59 AM   #23

Search

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake62 View Post
Great question! I'm hitting the road late next year and at about $300K. I've narrowed my search to a used Prevost or Newell. Look at 10-year coaches and look at the depreciation and which coaches depreciate the least and are still on the road after 10-years. Prevost holds up the best, followed by Newell. But, for this price range, you're probably in the 2004-2005 Newell or 2002-2003 Prevost, depending on who was the converter. They are all "steel structure" and aluminum siding. They are built to last in the long run.
You cannot turn off the HVAC systems in a metal box.

Too hot. Too cold.

Prevost is low to the ground and no bus has a screen door.

Restricts the uses to need a power pedestal or gen on almost 24/7.

Two different ideas. Quiet camping in nature for days or sitting in an Rv park.

East coast use needs a park.

Western states are more open.

Some want the social life.

We are nature folks.

Dry camped our 40' in sequoia and Yosemite and went for a interesting mule ride last Friday.

Most had tents around us. Cool. Perfect. Spread out camp sites.

Tags
diesel