Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2013, 06:12 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question Diesel Pusher to small version???

My husband and I are about five years from retirement (late 50's) and currently own a 2003 40' Fleetwood Providence. We have had very few issues with it and have enjoyed it immensely. However, with the cost of gas - we've been thinking about downgrading to a smaller diesel. Anyone have experience on this? We are the traveling type.....and usually don't park in one spot for longer than a week....if that. However, we do pull our 2009 Jeep Wrangler and would like to stay with a diesel. I see some of the newer diesel's have a side entry instead of the entry door being in front of the passenger seat? That would also be GREAT!!! Any suggestions in the under $120,000 range? Thanks for your knowledge and input.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2013, 06:24 AM   #2

We owned an Itasca Navion for 2 years. It was a great unit but we went to full timing and it was too small for us. 15 MPG towing but check the weight of your jeep maybe too heavy. Itasca/Winnebago make a Class a on this chassis, same MPG more towing I think. These units are built on a Mercedes chassis with a v6 Mercedes turbo diesel. Handle great with plenty of HP. We went the other way, we now own a 41 ft Fleetwood Providence and love it. Good luck with the search.

The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:53 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I think you first have to ask if you trade for better fuel mileage how much will you really save in fuel cost ( how many miles will you drive in the next 5 years ? ) vs how much will the change cost you
Rarely does the fuel savings cover the loss you'll take in the trade. On the other hand if you just want something smaller and that's the main reason ..;-) . Just don't use fuel savings to justify it .
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2RV View Post
My husband and I are about five years from retirement (late 50's) and currently own a 2003 40' Fleetwood Providence. We have had very few issues with it and have enjoyed it immensely. However, with the cost of gas - we've been thinking about downgrading to a smaller diesel.

I think it's a fine idea, and there are many reasons to choose a DP over a gas unit, however, DON'T make the change purely because you think it will save you money with the difference in MPG from One unit to the other. The math is simply not in your favor for that.

Many people trade in their old paid off cars and get a new one based upon the thinking that they will save money because the new one is so fuel efficient..... I've done the numbers on quite a few of these cases, and the break-even point is usually 5-7 years or more.

Meaning it would be 7 years or more before the gas savings equaled the money you spent buying the newer fuel efficient vehicle. Only after the break-even point do any cost savings become apparent!

Make the change because of comfort or style, or simply because you want to, just not thinking you will save money. ( now of course if you downgraded all the way to a class B from an A - that might be a different story)

Edit : Hi, I see BillJinOR was a quicker typist and posted before I finished my thought ! We agree Bill !
Old 12-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
I think you first have to ask if you trade for better fuel mileage how much will you really save in fuel cost ( how many miles will you drive in the next 5 years ? ) vs how much will the change cost you
Rarely does the fuel savings cover the loss you'll take in the trade. On the other hand if you just want something smaller and that's the main reason ..;-) . Just don't use fuel savings to justify it .
X2
Good answer
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel