Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2016, 09:41 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Based on 2 - 4 week trips I would start with a truck and 5er. Cheaper to maintain especially if you are not using it for 11 months a year.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2016, 10:07 PM   #16

I agree with Gordon. We traveled in a dually N 5er for many years. They are cheaper to maintain, a class A motorhome is the most expensive way to "camp". We are in our early 70's now and setting up a 5er got to be a chore. What made our decision to sell it and buy a MH was our trip to AK. Setting-up every night and reversing everything next morning kept us tired all the time, enough so, we didn't enjoy a few included side-trips.
When we got home we made our decision to buy a MH, and did.
Now setting up is: connecting utilities, pushing a button to level the MH.
Our 5er had more interior room and more outside storage than our MH of the same length, but that doesn't matter because we had empty storage space inside the 5er anyway.
Insurance, taxes, and license are more on a MH than a 5er, but we offset the insurance by buying a Good Sam policy that allows us to suspend collision when the MH is in storage.
Traveling is more convenient in a MH, but I will not allow my wife to unbuckle and walk around while underway. I did allow that with my first wife-at her insistance. Well, a guy ran a red light, I slammed on the brakes, wife #1 came flying from the bathroom door all the way to the dash, where she suddenly stopped. Broke both wrists,bruised all over, wrenched back, etc. So for me the "convenience" of being able to get up and walk around is not an option since that event.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:54 PM   #17
JDT

Not my forum but I do have some experience in this area. We've had 2 pop up's, 5 fifth wheels and 2 motorhomes (one gas and one diesel) in our 45 years of marriage. All were good in some ways but after 9 years of motorhomes we decided to go back to a fifth wheel. One reason has already been mentioned and that is the money involved. The upfront purchase, especially if you are considering new, is much less for a really nice truck/fiver combo when compared to a really nice dp. Maintenance costs can be an issue also as there is a whole bunch more moving parts on a motorhome.

Like Ray,IN freedom of movement was a non issue with our motorhomes as I insisted my wife stay buckled. The other issues of convenience, like not having to go outside to go to the bathroom are valid but not a big deal for us as we spend a lot more time parked than we do driving. Also, with auto level on the fifth wheel set up is just a matter of pushing a button and hooking up the utilities, not much different than the motorhomes. We have a Trailer Saver BD3 hitch that I can hitch and unhitch as fast and maybe faster than I could hook up the car to the motorhomes.

I am not arguing for either, just pointing out what works for us. Bottom line, you are making a good start by asking questions but figuring out the answers is the hard part.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:39 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
As long as I was working I needed a Truck so the decision was easy to have a 5'er. Once retired we went to a DP and really wouldn't want to go back. really like traveling in the DP as well as how nice it is when we stop for a break the DP is either warm or cool depending on the weather. So much nicer to overnite in especially while travelling.

The biggest plus is no longer having to have a large pickup as a daily driver. Either one works but given a choice we will take the class a.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:28 AM   #19
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is really a personal decision. When we last bought, we made the move from towable to Class A.

The hook/unhook routine is the big difference, which makes the 5er the best pick for those that stay longer and drive less.

AND, please notice that a 38'-40' 5er will demand a BIG truck. That BIG truck would typically be your daily driver for sightseeing. We still have our Dodge 3500 dually to tow our boat...it is a very nice truck, but we don't miss it when out with the motorhome. The toad, just like the Class A RV is much more comfortable when on the road - on the go.

That's just how we see it.

Best luck to the OP.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 03:17 AM   #20

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the comfort of a MH temperature wise in either hot or cold weather vs a 5er. We had a 5er for years and loved it. But one trip to Vegas in 113 degrees temperature when we pulled in and set up had us sweating and swearing. Our 5er was an oven when we opened it up to set up. It took forever to cool down. This last year we were traveling in the MH in 117 degrees outside and nice and cool inside.
The point is you do not need to wait to be comfortable in the MH in either hot or cold extremes. The 5er took a quite a while to get comfortable. We are taking longer trips now and the MH is a better choice for us. We do not do extended stays and enjoy the easy set up the MH. It costs more but for us and how we use it the MH is our choice and we love it. No wrong answers. The 5er was a great choice for us for over 7 years but as age crept up and retirement neared we sold our beloved 5th wheel and bought a DP. The bath and a half is awesome!

Bill & Christine
40 ft Revolution LE Diesel Pusher & Honda Fit Sport
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 01-10-2016, 12:26 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefly1 View Post
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the comfort of a MH temperature wise in either hot or cold weather vs a 5er. We had a 5er for years and loved it. But one trip to Vegas in 113 degrees temperature when we pulled in and set up had us sweating and swearing. Our 5er was an oven when we opened it up to set up. It took forever to cool down. This last year we were traveling in the MH in 117 degrees outside and nice and cool inside.
The point is you do not need to wait to be comfortable in the MH in either hot or cold extremes. The 5er took a quite a while to get comfortable. We are taking longer trips now and the MH is a better choice for us. We do not do extended stays and enjoy the easy set up the MH. It costs more but for us and how we use it the MH is our choice and we love it. No wrong answers. The 5er was a great choice for us for over 7 years but as age crept up and retirement neared we sold our beloved 5th wheel and bought a DP. The bath and a half is awesome!

Bill & Christine
40 ft Revolution LE Diesel Pusher & Honda Fit Sport
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Bill & Christine make some very valid points.

On other threads they talk about running the refrigerator while traveling. With that in mind there should be no reason that one could not leave the furnace on if it were cold or run the generator and A/C on the 5er when traveling.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:46 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just to chime in on the discussion I also have some thoughts that maybe helpful.....Before we bought our DP I was on IRV2 and the one thing that truly stuck in my brain was....."Buy Your Last RV First!" This stuck with me because so many folks loose tons of their cash moving up trying to make themselves happier in their travels so....
My wife and I looked for two years as we both still work, we wanted to do the right thing for us and this was our thoughts...
Yes a 5th wheel is a bit cheaper to operate and certainly easier for a novice to figure out when things go wrong but, You are limited to the truck you drive and the 5th wheel.
For us, our Harley's and having a golf cart are more important to us than having a truck to drive while camping. With our DP we can take everything we desire with us including a car if the trip we are taking calls for that over our toys but, we have been traveling PT now for three years and have never wished we had a car with us because if things like weather turn bad you can always rent a car or truck. Enterprise will come right to the campground and pick you up for renting their car. We have done this several times and it has worked out great!
We love having a golf cart at the campgrounds because you meet so many folks cruising around it is awesome! And having our motorcycles with us is like having air to breathe.....next to our coach they are a great way to explore this beautiful country!
Good luck in your search and welcome to IRV2, you will find a ton of information and meet some relly great people here!
Craig N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:01 PM   #23
KC

Both will work, but here is our thought process. We had a 5th wheel but I drive a lot and didn't need a large pickup for day to day driving. We loved the idea of the motorhome and towing a car. For one on hot days we run the AC to keep the inside cool, second its nice for my wife to use the bathroom while traveling. We also like righting off the interest as a second home (you can do this with either but the class A had a large amount to right off).

We are glade we went class A.

KC
Old 01-10-2016, 01:10 PM   #24

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
...We are in our early 70's now and setting up a 5er got to be a chore. What made our decision to sell it and buy a MH was our trip to AK. Setting-up every night and reversing everything next morning kept us tired all the time, enough so, we didn't enjoy a few included side-trips. ...
I understand everybody has their own preferences, but to clarify an item for any newbies that may be following this thread, set up on many new fivers is no different than a MH. We bought ours with an automatic leveling system and a built-in generator. All I do is press a button to level and then connect the electric, water, and sewer.

But true, if it's raining, we're going to get wet running from the truck to the rig.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:07 PM   #25

We have had several MH's but studied hard on the 5er/truck approach before we bought the current used Newmar DSDP we now own. Based on the 5er's we looked at that would satisfy ours needs, a min of a 1 ton dually was required to pull the 5er safely. We were unwilling to own a truck that big for daily use. The aquisition price was actually less for MH than the 5er/truck.

I now tow a 1/2 ton crew cab pickup with our DP and can haul our RZR ATV in the bed of the pu. Works good for us now that we are retired.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:10 PM   #26

We had both and hands down its the DP. DP are designed to be driven long distances with less driver fatigue.

We also have dogs so them being in the truck towing a 40' fifth wheel was quite stressful every time they either sat on the console or jumped from front to back and visa versa.

The confort level while staying at a site, setting up is much better with the DP.

Also keep in mind, when at a tight site, you can drop the toed so your coach is much shorter than a 5th.

The negative to a DP is more and higher maintaince but it's worth it to us.

Enjoy
Old 01-11-2016, 07:05 AM   #27

LA Gulf Coast Campers
These are all great comments. I would only ask yourself the following:

What is my life like outside of RV camping? Do I need a truck to pull a big boat, or a load of cows, or hay for cows. Or is the truck's only purpose to pull the RV.

If the answer is no, then in my (our) experience (we have had two fifths and two Class A). Then you will enjoy travel much more riding in a Class A than spending most of your road time in a truck -- regardless the quality of truck seats.

If you are traveling in warm country, the Class A stays air conditioned while traveling. If you stop for sandwiches in a rest stop in Texas or Mississippi, you have to go into a hot fifth wheel to eat and take a quick nap. Likewise security issues for dry camping in unknown areas. In the Class A you do not have to open your door and leave the coach. Just stop, sleep, and move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Hard choice. Both have advantages and disadvantages. I would say depends on your travel plans and budget. Lots of road time moving about I would go with a class A. Go to one place and stay for weeks the fifth wheel might suit you better. Pretty much all the living area item and usable square footage are close to equal.

Fifth wheels are pretty comfortable with a lot of room when the slides are extended. Slides are a bit deeper on a towable than a drivable. The front living room models with the rear master bedroom are a bit enticing to a prospective buyer. Fuel usage might be better considering the overall weight is less. Down side might be having to use a large truck for transportation beyond a camp ground. Set up is a bit more work to connect or disconnect the rig from the truck. Initial costs can be less for both than a class A depending on how much bling each has.

Diesel are bit more comfortable going down the road, particularly for you co-pilot. The only time you'll need to stop for a bathroom break is when the driver needs too. Overnight stops between destinations are very easy in a class A. Park, close the curtains, go to sleep. No need to leave the coach. Camp site set up is easy and other than connecting power/water/sewer you don't even need to leave the coach. The big advantage is towing a car to site see with. If you leave in an area which potential power outages the coach is fully self contained with the onboard tanks and generator. If the fuel tank is full you can go a long time waiting for power to come back on.

Myself, I'll probably always stay with a class A. We're adventurers and don't stay in once place for very long. The camp ground is where we sleep when on the road it's all the stuff beyond entry gates that we want to see. Heading out in our daily driving car is a bit simpler for us. Plus we've had a few hurricanes come thru that knocked power out for more than a day or two. I've got a good size generator that will keep most stuff in the house working but not the AC. The coach generator will run the coach AC without a worry.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:07 AM   #28

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Also consider the newer gas rigs too, they are awesome if you don't need the 40' class A. Better design now, lower maintenance than diesel, and lower price. Get a 2007 or newer... better transmission.

Tags
5th wheel, diesel