Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2016, 07:22 AM   #29

We started full timing June 2014 with a 2014 dynamax trilogy 3650 RL and a 2012 ram 3500 DRW, 4 x 4 with the cummins, on our trip this month to florida I came to the conclusion that the 5th wheel wasn't going to work for me , so we went to a show in Daytona beach this past saturday and traded them both in and bought a 2016 Fleetwood Expedition 38K, we had a class A gas job before we the 5ver and loved it but it didn't have all we wanted to full time in, so I guess there is no perfect answer to the question, you have to go with what YOU want and will love

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2016, 08:51 AM   #30

We have always had class A's but we travel with another family that pulls a fiver. I would be happy with either as I am addicted to camping.

twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:07 PM   #31

Lots of good comments on both options on this thread. Haven't owned a fiver but have spent some time in them. We have had two motorhomes as well as a travel trailer in between. We definitely prefer the motorhome, but it is still a matter of personal preference. I'd far rather drive the motorhome than a truck pulling any kind of trailer - the TT taught me that. Good luck, and you'll enjoy the benefits either way.
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:33 PM   #32

I've had both and think FWs are more livable. However, if money were no object I think I would go for a high dollar Class A diesel.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:25 AM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
One thing I have not seen mentioned here is ability to lay down in the motorhome while underway. My wife is 71 years old. many times she gets tired in the middle of the day, while we are traveling. She lies down on the couch and takes a 20 minute nap and then she is ready to go again. About fifteen years ago we were on the way to PA. when she made us sandwiches for lunch. She bit into hers and her tooth broke in half. It exposed the nerve and she was in terrible pain. Because we were in the motorhome, she was able to wet a washcloth with warm water and get to the medicine cabinet. She went from her seat to the couch and back fifty times. Being in the motorhome did not stop the pain, but did make it bearable.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:58 AM   #34
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
We have had 6 Class A's (2 Gas and 4 DPs) and now have a 5th wheel and new truck.

For us, having experienced the Class A lifestyle, it came down to maintenance and cost of it. That was our pure motivation.

Both setups have therir pros and cons and everyone expresses the ease of the Class A. Personally, I don't see it that way. I find the 5th wheel and truck every bit as easy to set up as the DP we owned. Our truck is a 1 ton SRW, yes it's bigger, but by no means troublesome to use as a daily driver. It's absolutely more comfortable to drive than the DP's we've owned.
For the few things the Class A may have as an advantage, the cons far out way the desire to own one for us. We like lots of room and our 5th wheel gives us that. AND it's not breaking the bank with repairs. If you're thinking Class A, you'd better like to "tinker" and problem solve....cause you'll be doing lots of it"!
Old 01-12-2016, 09:22 AM   #35

We've been through this same process, DP or 5er. We like to carry a couple of motorcycles. A 5er toyhauler seemed a natural but I had two problems with this. Could not find a toyhauler with an interior comparable to a nice DP, but the deal killer was: I'm an early riser and DW likes to sleep in. Very frustrating when traveling. We ended up with a DP towing my pickup loaded with the motorcycles. Also an unexpected bonus with the DP is the wonderful lack of noise.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:32 AM   #36

Thanks so much for all the replies!
Old 01-13-2016, 07:04 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Having had all of them - literally !😀
I decided to get what the DW wanted !
And that's what I'm sticking to!

It is all about floor plan and performance of the unit. We had a 40 foot HIGH level 5er that we ordered new and it was a piece of cr junk
We hated camping and stopped going when it broke from new!

The coach is SO much easier to drive and has so many more fearures I'm still learning them
Old 01-13-2016, 09:15 AM   #38

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
I've had both and think FWs are more livable. However, if money were no object I think I would go for a high dollar Class A diesel.
I like that money no object part, I like diesel pushers too.

But, my gasser took me on a 53 day trip a few weeks ago... Life is good.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:17 AM   #39

We enjoy our Motorhome, since we take our grand children with us from time to time.
They can get their drinks and snacks and use the pottie as we travel. As any vehicle you have their is maintenance involved with either. I considered my options; buy a 5th and then I would have to buy 50-60k$ truck to pull it, by the time I figured it all together I decided to go the motorhome route. Since we live in Florida there is a whole lot of the US to see, so most of our trips are long distance. Go by your first impression.
Lex and Karen Cauffield
2009 Gulfstream Tourmaster Constellation 45g
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Old 01-13-2016, 10:06 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
When we wrestled with this decision - we ended up going the motorhome route for a number of reasons. The following were the BIG drivers.

We felt that motorhome "house" systems were more robust than most of the 5th wheels we looked at. (i.e., hydraulic levels, generator as an integral part of the electrical system at the factory, etc.).

The chassis of the coach was a far more substantial foundation upon which to build the unit than that of any 5th wheel we looked at.

Given the size of the unit we were looking for - we would have had to purchase a heavy duty truck to tow it safely (i.e., something in the F350 ... likely a "dually" setup). We'd have been looking at a $50K-$60K outlay for the truck alone - and then be stuck using it as our "daily driver" wherever we went.

In the end we decided it made more sense for us to sink our money into an expensive coach / cheap "toad" setup than a expensive truck / cheap 5th wheel rig. (Cheap being relative of course!). Our thought was that we'd drive the wheels off the truck using it as a tow vehicle AND daily driver ... compared to a coach used in the "travel/stay awhile/travel again" lifestyle cycle we expect to be living.

Having the benefits of traveling in the coach ... and a much smaller and less expensive "toad" (both in terms of cost to acquire as well as cost to operate) just seemed like the best choice for us.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:11 AM   #41

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Space you make the best case yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
When we wrestled with this decision - we ended up going the motorhome route for a number of reasons. The following were the BIG drivers.

We felt that motorhome "house" systems were more robust than most of the 5th wheels we looked at. (i.e., hydraulic levels, generator as an integral part of the electrical system at the factory, etc.).

The chassis of the coach was a far more substantial foundation upon which to build the unit than that of any 5th wheel we looked at.

Given the size of the unit we were looking for - we would have had to purchase a heavy duty truck to tow it safely (i.e., something in the F350 ... likely a "dually" setup). We'd have been looking at a $50K-$60K outlay for the truck alone - and then be stuck using it as our "daily driver" wherever we went.

In the end we decided it made more sense for us to sink our money into an expensive coach / cheap "toad" setup than a expensive truck / cheap 5th wheel rig. (Cheap being relative of course!). Our thought was that we'd drive the wheels off the truck using it as a tow vehicle AND daily driver ... compared to a coach used in the "travel/stay awhile/travel again" lifestyle cycle we expect to be living.

Having the benefits of traveling in the coach ... and a much smaller and less expensive "toad" (both in terms of cost to acquire as well as cost to operate) just seemed like the best choice for us.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:25 PM   #42

we still have 5er & truck that we use close to home, but long travel we always take motorhome.

Tags
5th wheel, diesel