Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2016, 12:58 PM   #71

Monaco Owners Club
And I just thought of another BIG plus for the MH...
I no longer have to pick that 100lb lab or the 65lb Pitt-Mix up into the hammock in the back of the Crew Cab - heck that was more comfortable than the drivers seat, even on the Platinum

Now it's just a trot up the steps

Oh, anyone want a couple of dog ramps they didn't want to use or a nice auto slider for your 5'er ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RW and 350.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	119855  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2016, 07:14 PM   #72

We went from a Cardinal 5th wheel to Tiffin Open Road 36LA gas coach. Absolutely no comparison between the 2. Tiffin quality and features are far above the 5th wheel.
The 5th wheel did feel more homey in regards to layout but glad we made the switch. Rather do our touring once parked in small SUV than monster truck any day.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:44 PM   #73

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Wife has two artificial knees. Once in the coach-no more steps. In our old fiver steps up to the bathroom and bedroom-so MH for us from now on.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:51 PM   #74

Ford Super Duty Owner
We came out of a Sunny Brook fifth wheel that was a wonderful unit but I got tired of the difficulty of parking it and setting it up. We went to a Winnebago Adventurer gas unit that has all the goodies of a top line diesel pusher. Really good quality and we haven't regretted the purchase. We pull a Jeep Rubicon with a trailer behind it with our Can Am Maverick on it. We spend the entire summers in Colorado running passes in the Jeep and the Maverick. Whatever if you decide, just go have fun!
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:45 PM   #75

Thor Owners Club
Tough Decisions

We recently purchased a 06 38' Cross Country DP and spent a week in it so far.
We still have our 06 38' King of the Road Royal Villa (triple axle). And it is a fantastic well built rig. Electric Slide out Patio. Can't find that on any DP.

We have a landscaped lot we rent every year where our boat is at also so the 5r rarely leaves it's camping spot. 1-2 times every couple years to reunions and so on.

But we thought if we had a DP we would take more frequent trips and yet give us the experience to really compare which we liked most. I can tell you that I have spent more $$ in the past 30 days on this DP than I have the previous years of owning the KOTR 5r.

The 5r is more like living in a small mobile home. We have a Rear living area that is separated by french doors. Has a built in desk, fireplace and just very cozy. We have had 5th wheels for nearly 30 years and a DP for less than a month so it is pretty hard to give much of a comparison. I know it is nice having a all flat surface to walk the entire coach including the bedroom area.
DW says we should think about selling the 5r, but I would hate to get rid of such a nice rig. They don't make anything like it any longer.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:57 PM   #76

Monaco Owners Club
It was a cost issue for my wife and me. We looked at both DP'ers and 5th wheels. We were fortunate and were able to find the Class A at half the price of what we would have paid for the 5th wheel and a pickup big enough to haul it. A friend was selling his diesel and we jumped on it. We are extremely happy and proud of our motorhome.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:54 AM   #77

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.B. View Post
Hi. Everyone! New to the site! We are trying to decide between a used Diesel Pusher (100 -125k range) or a 38-40' fifth wheel and new truck.

We are semi retired now and ready to see the country! Most of our trips will last 2-4 weeks. We rented a 40' diesel pusher for a couple of weeks to test out the motorhome and really enjoyed it!

While we enjoyed the motorhome I can see where there are some arguments for the truck and fifth wheel route. Please share some of your experience to help us with the pros and cons of this decision! Thanks for your help!
We just recently went through the same decision.

1st the only reason I would need a truck that big would be to town the 5th wheel. My buddy tows 5th wheel but he is a contractor and needs a truck that big for his daily business.

2nd my wife like to be able to get up and move around while we are heading down the road. Her knees bother her when sitting for long periods.

3rd we can easily town a car behind us so we have transportation when we arrive at our destination.

At the end of the day pick the unit that works best in you lifestyle.

Good luck
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:28 PM   #78

Monaco Owners Club
We just traded our TT in for a DP. My DH was just DONE with the unhooking, cranking, leveling that the TT required so for us a 5er was a no go. We wanted to be "all in one" and push a button when we got to the site and not have to get out of the MH if we don't want to.
Hammer bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:36 AM   #79

We currently have a year old toy hauler and two year old 3500 truck but are now looking at moving to a mid size dp. The th is great in the kids get their own bedroom and I can haul rzr in it, but last year we did a 3000 mile trip and this year we have a 4000 mile trip planned and with 5 and 8 year old boys, they can get restless in the truck (even with their DVD players, etc). I grew up with family having motor homes and would like my kids to have the same experiences. My truck is my daily driver and I love it so that doesn't bother me and I will be keeping the truck anyways.

From my very limited research and comparisons, the quality and fit and finish is far higher in a dp. Our th was over 100k msrp, so it is a "higher" line than most, but certainly isn't a drv type fifth wheel. The appeal of being able to stop anywhere for the night and being able to move around a bit is appealing to us as well
Old 03-01-2016, 12:10 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
We currently have a year old toy hauler and two year old 3500 truck but are now looking at moving to a mid size dp. The th is great in the kids get their own bedroom and I can haul rzr in it, but last year we did a 3000 mile trip and this year we have a 4000 mile trip planned and with 5 and 8 year old boys, they can get restless in the truck (even with their DVD players, etc). I grew up with family having motor homes and would like my kids to have the same experiences. My truck is my daily driver and I love it so that doesn't bother me and I will be keeping the truck anyways.

From my very limited research and comparisons, the quality and fit and finish is far higher in a dp. Our th was over 100k msrp, so it is a "higher" line than most, but certainly isn't a drv type fifth wheel. The appeal of being able to stop anywhere for the night and being able to move around a bit is appealing to us as well
Here is how we haul our RZR after selling our toy hauler and buying a DP. Works great since you get a toad and a trailer for your RZR!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RZR IN PU 2.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	120247  
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:15 PM   #81

It would be tight for mine. I have a 2016 1000s (we go to hatfield McCoy several times a year). They r a lot of fun for sure
Old 03-02-2016, 07:39 PM   #82

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor3000 View Post
Here is how we haul our RZR after selling our toy hauler and buying a DP. Works great since you get a toad and a trailer for your RZR!
Nice. Same story for us. Hauled a Kawasaki Mule in the toy hauler. Now the F150 is the toy hauler. We did buy a 6-1/2' bed. Haven't decided what we want yet. No room for the dogs in a RZR. Not a fan of golf carts but may be our only option.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:54 PM   #83

LA Gulf Coast Campers
All the above posts make valid points. Here is one that just came to my attention.

A typical big Fifth wheel weighs around 10,000# to 15,000#

A typical class A weighs 24,000# to 35,000# or higher in some cases.

While no one wants to be in an RV in a storm, weight matters.

I looked carefully at the RVs left standing at the park in Louisiana from the tornado, the pictures I saw showed only a few units left standing.

They were all Class A Motorhomes.

You decide...
Old 03-02-2016, 08:52 PM   #84

Diesel pusher vs 5th wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
All the above posts make valid points. Here is one that just came to my attention.

A typical big Fifth wheel weighs around 10,000# to 15,000#

A typical class A weighs 24,000# to 35,000# or higher in some cases.

While no one wants to be in an RV in a storm, weight matters.

I looked carefully at the RVs left standing at the park in Louisiana from the tornado, the pictures I saw showed only a few units left standing.

They were all Class A Motorhomes.

You decide...

With that logic, would we ever leave the basement of our brick homes?

Tags
5th wheel, diesel