Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2016, 04:06 AM   #85

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
Unhooking the truck from the 5er takes less time than unhooking the toad from the DP!
Since it takes me all of two minutes to unhook my toad, I don't see where this is a deciding factor at all.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2016, 06:49 AM   #86
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Since it takes me all of two minutes to unhook my toad, I don't see where this is a deciding factor at all.
Exactly. That was the reason for my post.
Many use hooking and unhooking the truck from the 5er as some big huge ordeal compared to a DP and toad.

It's really not!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:29 AM   #87

Entegra Owners Club
Had fifth wheels for years. Went to a DP three years ago. There is no comparison between the two. For us, we will never go back to a fifth wheel. No offense to fifth wheel owners.
pttaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:36 AM   #88

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
Exactly. That was the reason for my post.
Many use hooking and unhooking the truck from the 5er as some big huge ordeal compared to a DP and toad.

It's really not!
The difference between Fifth and Class A has little or nothing to do with hitching or unhooking. Certainly the Fifth is a lot easier to hitch than a bumper pull.

The difference is the ride experience, and the living experience. Riding in a truck towing a Fifth, is, well, riding in a truck. Because of the pin weight load the truck tends to hobby horse or porpoise going down the highway.

The truck has no galley.
The truck has no bath room.

The truck is air conditioned, but the fifth is not. Unless you can figure how to put a generator in the bed with the hitch, and run the power cord all the way from the back of the fifth to the bed of the truck.

However, once you are at your destination, the equation shifts a bit.
The fifth has a lot more head room. This is good if you are seven feet tall, but bad if you are trying to heat all that room. The fifth usually has more usable floor space.. On the bedrooms, the fifth and the Class A are about the same, except the fifth often (but not always) has a lower head room in the bed room area, and you do have the up and down, up and down floor levels to deal with.

But, if your knees are good, and you plan to park more than you drive you may tip the vote in favor of the fifth.

Cost is about the same. Big bad truck, plus mid to upper quality fifth costs about the same or possibly more than a usable class A.

Of course, if you have a sheep, horse, or cow ranch and haul animals as well as feed, you may have need for the big bad truck in other areas of your life. While a big DP can tow 10,000 pounds, it cannot back up easily with a trailer attached.

We have had them all, and for us, because we want to move a lot and not stay in one spot for a whole month, we love our Class A, and would buy another one in a heartbeat. Your mileage may vary.

But, if you are in either vehicle, and a tornado is coming, please take shelter.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:45 AM   #89

One more MH advantage. When I'm driving my toad I'm getting 36 MPG, it's maneuverable and fun to drive. When I had my truck I got 17 MPG, was a pain to park sometimes and was not fun to drive.

If you park at the CG and never leave, this advantage wouldn't matter.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:18 AM   #90

National RV Owners Club
Love my Class A. I saw one disadvantage on YouTube yesterday; (should say possible disadvantage) some break downs require the Class A owner to stay in Motel/Hotels until major repairs can be made. (mostly chassis and engine issues).
Can not make a comparison on the 5th Wheel. My only experiences are the C's and A's. I will say I feel blessed that I discovered the diesel pushers for all the advantages documented so far. Ride in my A is superior to any other vehicle I have ever driven or comfort while driving in.
My two dogs love the MH as well, is probably why at this time I would not consider the 5th Wheel.

Point already made, what does it matter as long as you enjoy your RV!!!
Old 03-03-2016, 08:19 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
The difference between Fifth and Class A has little or nothing to do with hitching or unhooking. Certainly the Fifth is a lot easier to hitch than a bumper pull.

The difference is the ride experience, and the living experience. Riding in a truck towing a Fifth, is, well, riding in a truck. Because of the pin weight load the truck tends to hobby horse or porpoise going down the highway.

The truck has no galley.
The truck has no bath room.

The truck is air conditioned, but the fifth is not. Unless you can figure how to put a generator in the bed with the hitch, and run the power cord all the way from the back of the fifth to the bed of the truck.

However, once you are at your destination, the equation shifts a bit.
The fifth has a lot more head room. This is good if you are seven feet tall, but bad if you are trying to heat all that room. The fifth usually has more usable floor space.. On the bedrooms, the fifth and the Class A are about the same, except the fifth often (but not always) has a lower head room in the bed room area, and you do have the up and down, up and down floor levels to deal with.

But, if your knees are good, and you plan to park more than you drive you may tip the vote in favor of the fifth.

Cost is about the same. Big bad truck, plus mid to upper quality fifth costs about the same or possibly more than a usable class A.

Of course, if you have a sheep, horse, or cow ranch and haul animals as well as feed, you may have need for the big bad truck in other areas of your life. While a big DP can tow 10,000 pounds, it cannot back up easily with a trailer attached.

We have had them all, and for us, because we want to move a lot and not stay in one spot for a whole month, we love our Class A, and would buy another one in a heartbeat. Your mileage may vary.

But, if you are in either vehicle, and a tornado is coming, please take shelter.
This is the best summary of the dilemma "5er, or ClassA". Wife and I argued this adinfinitum, and I won. She camped in the top of the line 5er (in her previous life), and loved it. I never did. I "camped" in tents, courtesy of Uncle Sam (and HATED it!). We have acquired acreage in ID, and are going to build our own "dream home", so idea was to park some sort of RV on the land, until the main home is finished (3 months or so).

For people that travel from A to B (and plan to stay at B for a while), 5er wins (for all the reasons listed above). In this case we should've gotten the 5er! But after the house is done, I want to TRAVEL (not camp!) with my wife and three big dogs! Just bumming through the Pacific Northwest, and stopping whenever/wherever I feel like. It was hard (at times) to convince DW that that ClassA is what WE should get. Especially since we already have a big truck that we pull our horses with.

ClassA DP, on the commercial bus chassis is what I wanted. She came around, but not before dragging me to MANY RV dealers to "see how nice these Alphas are!"

Now she likes the idea of using the bathroom while under way, stretching out, walking, going to the fridge, all under way. There is no way I would put my dogs in the 5er, and sit in the truck (I don't really want to drive my truck across the country either!). This way I am driving my luxury condo, stop wherever I want, go to sleep whenever I want, take a shower in the morning, eat my breakfast, have my coffee, and hit the road (nothing to "set up", nothing to "prepare", just sit and drive. Oh,.....and dogs just LOVE being with us, and have room to move about.

We come upon a small (or big) town we've never been to before, we take dogs for a walk, and decide what we want to do that day. Leave the dogs in the rig, and we don't even have to set the alarm, or lock the front door. I pity a fool that would try to get into this bus, when we are gone (two GSDs, and a Malamute think they own the rig!). The sign on the door says "Watch for the dogs, they eat EVERYTHING the owner shoots!"
Danielsand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, diesel