Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2014, 02:17 PM   #57

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Tacos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
LOL. Its not the coach trying to tell you a secret!
It's the air system reaching maximum and dumping the extra. PSSSST!
Actually, I'm pretty sure Mike meant that it reminds him of what happens after he has beans and tacos at his favorite Mexican restaurant.

I apologize to the moderator in advance for going off topic. I could not resist.
cucotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2014, 04:41 PM   #58

Most has already been said for the pos and cons of both gas and diesel. We started with gas many years ago and kept getting bigger. We finally have what will probably be out last coach. At 71, I doubt we will wear it out. When we head out, we are 75' long and weigh in at 50,000#s. We out grew a gasser long ago. This combo gets me 7 mpg (with no wind), will cruise at 65 mph for close to 900 miles before I have to think about fuel, has the torque to go up 11,000' mountains and the engine braking to go down the same mountain with hardly touching the brake peddle. It's quiet and has a panoramic view out the front. It also comes with an attendant that brings me milk and cookies upon request. The ride is so enjoyable and easy to handle that the only disappointment is at the end of a 5-600 mile day when I have to stop for the night. However, there is always the next day to look forward to.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:07 PM   #59

Diesel Pusher vs Gasser
My openion and suggestion when considering between the two.
Diesel = expensive all the way, from the time you buy it thru maintenance and parts.
Not all places and technician can work on MH diesel.
Problem on parts availability.
Needs big bugets($$,$$$.$$) when it breaks and big patience.
Gasoline = less expensive by a lot from the day you bought your MH thru all the way.
Parts and labor are far less $ involve and all auto-technician and tree mechanic can work on gasoline and the availabity on parts are not a problem.
Some people say DP MH rides are better than gas, I DON'T think so. You can make equal or better ride than DP. Done that. Performance: Most if not all, diesel have turbo. Install turbo on gas and let see what happen. Gasoline are all available in all locomotive, Land , Air and water and some.
Diesel to me are good to use in heavy equipment and truckers and industrial places. Using Diesel on this places, brings profits to them. What ever you decide, my suggestion buy NEW. In my opinion, if your the first one that take care of your MH,then you have the peace of mind to drive anyhere, whenever, whatever and
however you like it. Remember if engine or transmission are not working properly and not in harmony,you are not going anywhere. I don't want to be too technical on this. We all know things has pros and cons. So choosing the right MH for you, do a good PDI and be familiar on the MH. Your are the one living, using and driving
with it to enjoy so balance all the info you gather everywhere and think and re-think and re-think again and again and come with what you want then decide. Honestly DP or gas MH in my opinion is personal preference.It's just Diesel are very EXPENSIVE to me. It has this sign $$$,$$$.$$ that long and some $$,$$$.$$ in the bank or card.
Good luck on your choice. Happy RVing.
muscob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:13 PM   #60

Solo Rvers Club
Rodz...you're right for your situation I guess and far be it from us to try and rationalize with you. Best of luck with your gasser. For me as a mechanic that worked on both....I'll have a DP for my money. As far as
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodz View Post
Did you ever try to take a nap in the rear BR of a diesel while driving?
Geez I hope not.....well not unless my DP has auto pilot , otherwise I guess I'd be asleep in the drivers seat!!!
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:33 PM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
We have the Workhorse 8.1 with a Banks system. We have over 70,000 miles on the coach. We go up and down hill just fine and have passed a few diesels going up the hill. With the Banks unit we gained from .5 to 1 mpg over what the stock workhorse 8.1 got (we average from 7.5 to 8.x mpg). Gas here is about $0.40 per gallon cheape than diesel. There was a time when gas was almost $1 per gallon cheaper. There was also a time (maby for a week) when diesel was about the same price. We bought the coach based on what the floor plan the wife liked. I must say that the Workhorse is a lot quieter than the 2000 V10 ford was. I would guess that the ford is now a bit quieter. I have Mobil 1 in the crankcase and it gets changed at least once a year and the generator gets serviced at the same time.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:34 PM   #62

Dp's aren't for everyone. As I've said, I've owned both. Dp owners seem to put gas owners on the defensive. I don't car for Cadillac either. I'd rather drive a pickup. My first camper was a pop up then a truck camper. I've had them all. Dp's are nice but I'm starting to think it's more about ego. Instead of pointing out flaws in gassers, try complimenting the new proud owners. We're all out to enjoy the journey. I'm very happy with my choice to go back to gas. It'll go anywhere a million dollar Dp will go.
rodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:53 PM   #63

Yep, it's all about the experience. We just out grew the gas motorhomes and prefer/need the diesel for our own reasons. Once you are at the destination, they're all the same. We are fortunate that cost of ownership is not an issue, or we might not feel the same way. The RV experience is not for everyone, but it sure is great for those of us that enjoy it.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas