Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2015, 02:48 PM   #15

Any truck stop will sell you a used tire for about $100. Love's paid me $75 for each of mine when I replaced them last year.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2015, 03:39 PM   #16

One of the differences with aluminum and steel wheels is if you have bud wheels the studs and inner lug nuts are longer because the aluminum wheels are thicker
Fkrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The only difference is that the front and rear alum wheels are polished differently in most cases. Some are polished both sides though. The offset will be the same so they can be swapped.
When I bought new tires I also changed from all steel 7.5" wide steel wheels to 8.5" Alcoa wheels on the outside and steel for the inside. Got them from a truck wrecking yard. They fit just fine and are interchangeable front to rear and inside to outside although I wouldn't want the steel wheels on thew outside and the alum one inside.
As I posted on edit.....That MAY be true for some DP chassis, but that is simply not the case on my gasser. Other than the diameter and stud spacing, there is nothing about the shape of my Alcoa rims that is even remotely similar. There is almost no dish on the front rims, of this I am positive.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:40 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I would not carry a spare for the simple reason that the tools, techniques and manpower needed to do so is outside my comfort zone. But that is just me. I did learn a few things so thank you for the thread....
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:50 PM   #19

Our rig has 8.25 width, 2 inside steel, 4 outside polished aluminum and spare is unpolished aluminum. Spare is carried under frame forward of front axle raised with electric winch. As others have said, the spare is very heavy and although I don't much care to change a flat, I can and will if I have to. I am 72 years old and out of shape to boot but I can still pick up a 22.5 wheel and tire. I just can't carry it very far so will roll it most of the way.

I suggest if you get a spare wheel and tire to carry under your rig, try to get an match to your front axle rims and don't worry about the polish, it won't stay clean anyway. Also match the front tire size and type, if you have to change out the front it will steer a bit better.

Here's hoping you never have to use it.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:23 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
As I posted on edit.....That MAY be true for some DP chassis, but that is simply not the case on my gasser. Other than the diameter and stud spacing, there is nothing about the shape of my Alcoa rims that is even remotely similar. There is almost no dish on the front rims, of this I am positive.
Ed, I will bet you your front rims are the same as your back outside rims, they are just turned around! The dish is on the inside on your front rims and on the outside on your rear! It makes no difference as to gas or diesel, as they are all 10 bolt, 22.5 Rims, the only difference is the width, some are wider than others, but the width will be the same on all your rims on your coach, and then there are only 2 different widths! All the rims made since 1992 or so are hub pilot rims, or centered on the hub, not the lugs! The older stud pilot rims have lugs for the inside rim, then the outside rim on the rear dual! Hope this helps you understand it better! They do not make different rims for the steer and the rear, Of THIS I AM POSITIVE! Rail!
guardrail53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:30 AM   #21

iRV2 No Limits Club
american coach 2003 all wheeels alumin on mine oddball or what
hartb1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:01 AM   #22

My wheels are the same all around, they are 19.5"
I don't think there are many MHs that have different wheel sizes front to back.
I carry a spare, hope I don't have to use it...
mohamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:06 AM   #23

I would not have spent almost $200.00 having tires dismounted and remounted to accomplish a front to back rotation if what you say was true. And this isn't about which side is polished. You are correct about them being hub piloted. When I get to someplace above freezing I will try posting pictures or perhaps the Alcoa part numbers to substantiate my statements.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:08 AM   #24

Above reply was for "rail"
Old 01-08-2015, 06:34 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
They do not make different rims for the steer and the rear, Of THIS I AM POSITIVE! Rail!
guardrail
That "blanket statement' does not cover all motor homes and is SIMPLY NOT TRUE!

My '75 Winnebago Minnie Winnie class C, (on the Dodge van chassis), had 2 ordinary Dodge 3/4 ton pickup truck wheels on the steer and 4 1 ton Budd "dully" wheels on the rear.

However it may be true of all class A coaches with 22.5" wheels and all 'modern" class C coaches??

BTW, I carry an "unmounted spare", a CoachNet membership card, and a cellphone.... (so I can have a mobile tire tech come to my location and mount that spare on any of my 6 wheels should the need arise).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:58 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
Ed, I will bet you your front rims are the same as your back outside rims, they are just turned around! The dish is on the inside on your front rims and on the outside on your rear! It makes no difference as to gas or diesel, as they are all 10 bolt, 22.5 Rims, the only difference is the width, some are wider than others, but the width will be the same on all your rims on your coach, and then there are only 2 different widths! All the rims made since 1992 or so are hub pilot rims, or centered on the hub, not the lugs! The older stud pilot rims have lugs for the inside rim, then the outside rim on the rear dual! Hope this helps you understand it better! They do not make different rims for the steer and the rear, Of THIS I AM POSITIVE! Rail!
All 22.5" rims are not 10 bolt. The larger Ford F53 gas chassis come with:
22.5" x 7.5", 8-Hole Disc Polished Aluminum Front and Rear (with Steel Inner Rear) (Standard)

Here's a link to the 2014 F53 chassis brochure:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/brochures/Class_A_brochure-2014_LoRes.pdf

Old 01-09-2015, 01:33 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
guardrail
That "blanket statement' does not cover all motor homes and is SIMPLY NOT TRUE!

My '75 Winnebago Minnie Winnie class C, (on the Dodge van chassis), had 2 ordinary Dodge 3/4 ton pickup truck wheels on the steer and 4 1 ton Budd "dully" wheels on the rear.

However it may be true of all class A coaches with 22.5" wheels and all 'modern" class C coaches??

BTW, I carry an "unmounted spare", a CoachNet membership card, and a cellphone.... (so I can have a mobile tire tech come to my location and mount that spare on any of my 6 wheels should the need arise).

Mel
'96 Safari
First off, Mel,, I thought we were talking about 22.5 alum. rims, but a very good point none the less! Hahahaha!! Rail!
Old 01-09-2015, 01:48 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Above reply was for "rail"
Quote:
I would not have spent almost $200.00 having tires dismounted and remounted to accomplish a front to back rotation if what you say was true. And this isn't about which side is polished. You are correct about them being hub piloted. When I get to someplace above freezing I will try posting pictures or perhaps the Alcoa part numbers to substantiate my statements.
Looking forward to that, ED! As I am always up to learning new things! I went to the Alcoa website, and could not find the different listing's for front and rear rims! I am by far not a expert on all brands of MH's, and their wheels! I have never heard of different rims for the front and rear, not saying that they are not out there? Thank's, Rail!
Also, I did find out Alcoa make's 3 rim width's , not just 2! so I did learn something today! And they make 8 lug nut hole along with 10 that I knew about! So learning!

Tags
diesel