Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2015, 10:31 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Diesel Pusher Wheels 22.5 inch

Hi possibly a dumb question but here goes.

I know there is a whole argument for and against and its a bit like religion, politics or your choice of Coke or Pepsi, but putting that aside.....

I am looking at carrying a spare (see what I mean about the topic) and have already looked at a couple of posts and messages from CaptBill and GaryCA so thanks guys.

What my question is this time is are all 6 wheels the same with inner rear and front facing one way and outer rear flipped 180 degrees? Reason for asking is wondering if all 10 bolt 22.5 inch wheels with a width of 7.5 are the same and therefore interchangeable.

Thanks in advance, and please lets not get into the whole I carry one, I don't debate.

Thanks again

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2015, 10:47 AM   #2

They should be all the same size. If the inside vs outside were different then you would have an inside or outside off the ground and have bad axle and bearing wear due to weight of the coach trying to balance the load on the wheels and tires.. They should also be the same size on the front as on the rear.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:50 AM   #3

As far as the first part of your question, Yes, the wheels are all interchangeable as far as being able to turn a front wheel 180 degrees to fit an outside rear. However, the inner rears may be steel and the outers aluminum or chrome plated. Just a cost saver for the builder.

As far as ALL wheels the same size being the same as far as offset, I don't know. Contact a wheel manufacturer or do a Google search.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:13 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you both for the very quick replies. I know what my wheels size and widths are but not the offset. I have the chance to get a wheel from a sterling but I don't know what the offset is I will have to get one of the wheels of my Winnebago to see what that is so I can see if they will work. I only want it as a spare to get me off the road and then be able to order a tire to match (using my FMCA discount (hopefully)) not just something similar that that roadside company can get at full price.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:17 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nij_tp View Post

I know there is a whole argument for and against and its a bit like religion, politics or your choice of Coke or Pepsi, but putting that aside.....

I am looking at carrying a spare (see what I mean about the topic) and have already looked at a couple of posts and messages from CaptBill and GaryCA so thanks guys.

What my question is this time is are all 6 wheels the same with inner rear and front facing one way and outer rear flipped 180 degrees? Reason for asking is wondering if all 10 bolt 22.5 inch wheels with a width of 7.5 are the same and therefore interchangeable.

Thanks in advance, and please lets not get into the whole I carry one, I don't debate.

Thanks again
Not necessarily. If any are Aluminum, then it is most likely only the front and outside rear are Aluminum, and they will definitely NOT be the same. You cannot swap fronts to rear, either, as the "dish" is different. Likewise, the inner rear are most likely to be steel, not Aluminum, and they too cannot be swapped.

It is true that all 22.5" rims are same diameter, but the width MAY be different for the Aluminum vs. steel rims. Obviously, the bolt pattern MUST be the same for all.

IF you have the typical aluminum / steel combo, you will find you cannot rotate the tires front to back without dis-mounting and re-mounting the tires.
EDIT: After reading the post above by Pigman, I need to admit what I posted MAY not be true for some DP chassis, but what I posted is definitely true for gassers-I know this because I just went thru a tire rotation for mine.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:24 AM   #6

Contact winnie and ask them.

Have your serisl or vin handy.

All 6 of ours are alu but ours was of a different time and high end back in the day.

Yours likely steel on inside dual.

Many roadside service folks can swap a tire on rim in field maybe...call a few to confirm this.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:30 AM   #7

Actually, since your chassis is Freightliner, I'd contact them instead. Winnebago orders the chassis (complete with wheels and tires) from Freightliner Custom Chassis and they'd probably have better info for you. Customer assistance at 1-800-FTL-HELP (1-800-385-4357) with your VIN #.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nij_tp View Post

Thanks again
nij_tp
Are you sure that all of your 6 wheels are the same and interchangeable?
My coach has 6 steel wheels and they are all the same.. but often, usually?), coaches with "high buck aluminum wheels" ride on ONLY 4 aluminum wheels, (the "inside dual" wheels are steel).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-07-2015, 11:57 AM   #9

However, for a spare tire and wheel, a steel wheel should work for either front or rear application. So the spare steel wheel needed is just one and can be used for all wheel locations on the chassis. The spare is for short-term use and would be to get to a truck tire shop and have the bad tire fixed or replaced.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:05 PM   #10

10 bolt 22.5 x 7.5 steel or aluminum wheels are interchangeable. The only thing you have to watch is if it is a budd wheel or hub centered wheel, lug nuts with a taper or with a flat washer attached.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:25 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Do you really think you can change the wheel by yourself? If not, just carry the tire and have the roadside service guy mount it. There's no way I would try to actually change the tire/wheel combo, it just weighs to much to do so safely.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Not necessarily. If any are Aluminum, then it is most likely only the front and outside rear are Aluminum, and they will definitely NOT be the same. You cannot swap fronts to rear, either, as the "dish" is different. Likewise, the inner rear are most likely to be steel, not Aluminum, and they too cannot be swapped.
The only difference is that the front and rear alum wheels are polished differently in most cases. Some are polished both sides though. The offset will be the same so they can be swapped.
When I bought new tires I also changed from all steel 7.5" wide steel wheels to 8.5" Alcoa wheels on the outside and steel for the inside. Got them from a truck wrecking yard. They fit just fine and are interchangeable front to rear and inside to outside although I wouldn't want the steel wheels on thew outside and the alum one inside.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:45 PM   #13

I just checked mine and all 4 aluminum wheels and the 2 steel wheels have the same offset, but mine are 8.25" rims so you may need to measure yours to be sure. I believe nij_tp wants to carry a mounted spare as roadside assistance will mount that for free. Dismounting and remounting a spare would cost extra. Personally, after years of carrying a spare I gave up and reclaimed all that basement storage.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:50 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So thanks to all who replied.

So I checked with Freightliner (thanks for the tip and number). All 6 wheels are 22.5x7.50 with an offset of 645. This means that all the wheels are safe in all the positions.

So I will be looking to buy a steel wheel and get a tire to have mounted. I have a friend who has a wrecking yard with a couple of RV in it. So getting a wheel should be ok. I could use this in any of the 6 positions

Anyone in the North East or Shenandoah Valley who are putting new shoes on their beast and have a relatively decent tire that is going to the rubber graveyard in the sky. I would be interested in having it as a spare.

For those who want to knock the whole carry a spare that's your choice. Each person wants to have there own view and choice. I will be mounting the wheel and tire combo underneath on the chassis frame not in a bin.

Tags
diesel