Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Diesel Pushers?

Thinking about upgrading my 36 ft. Work Horse to a diesel pusher, used Monaco or Newmar 36 to 40 ft.2004 to2006 with at least 400 cummins any body have thoughts,or preference on make or model,and powertrain ????

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #2

Do your homework on the chassis certain Monaco roadmasters had trailing arm problems $$$$.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Don't forget to ask questions in the Monaco and Newmar forums.
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Some 2005-2006 ISLs had wrist pin issues but I believe it is easily verified.

ISL wrist pin defect serial number range
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Are you locked in on just Monaco and Newmar? There are plenty of others out there that fall into your short list of requirements.

Remember that Monaco also built Holiday Rambler, Beaver, and Safari of the years you mentioned and with any of those models you can get an almost twin with the other three. And yes, all four of these brands had a problem with the trailing arms on the coaches with the Roadmaster R4RR chassis that had the trailing arms that were mounted below the rear axle. If interested in one of these, make sure the arms have been replaced with the Source Engineering arms.

Newmar, Tiffin, Country Coach, Winnebago, Fleetwood..... the list is pretty much endless and all are almost the same...not a whole of of difference. Floor plans from each can be found on other brands and engines are, for the most part, limited to either Cummins or Cat and both are excellent engines.

For each brand, it will have models that range from entry level to luxury level and the consensus here is to shop for a higher level of coach in earlier years....all depends upon what you are looking for and how much you can afford.

Go to dealerships, rv rallys, and research here on line.

Good luck.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #6

As said above, if you are not locked in to a Monaco there are many other high end quality built coaches available. You could then add Country Coach and Travel Supreme to your list along with Monaco, Holiday Rambler, and any others you choose. Good luck shopping, as there are many clean units available.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #7

As said several time there are other quality MH out there for those years. Nor would I limit my self to 400 HP on a 36 foot MH. A 350 on that size chassis would be sufficient. If a coach fits all of your other wants and needs don't discard it just because it doesn't have 400HP.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

You won't find a Cummins 400 ISL on any R4R chassis, so the trailing arm issue won't apply if the 400 is a firm requirement.

Read here about which chassis/coach models had this defect:
http://www.rv-chassis.com/RoadmasterR4R_FMC1109.pdf

I wouldn't make the 400 Cummins a hard requirement until I had a better idea of what coach I liked best. There are darn few (if any) 36 footers with the ISL engine and many 40's don't have it either, cause they often don't need it for good performance. The Cummins ISC was very popular in the years and sizes you are talking about, and its a fne engine as long as the coach is in its weight range (and most in the 36-40 bracket are).

By the way, the Cummins 400 ISL is available in 370, 400, and 425 hp versions in the years you are considering. The ISC in those years tops out at 350 hp, I think
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We love our Monaco Windsor!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #10

Off the thread a bit but what is the difference between the ISL and ISC engines. While I'm at it, what the heck does each stand for?
Old 12-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #11

After owning a Newmar, I'd have a hard time switching to anything else. The 370 ISL pulled me pretty much effortlessly up every mountain pass I asked it to this summer going from Texas through Colorado, Wyoming and up to Glacier Nat'l Park.
The longer I have it, the more I appreciate the quality of the Spartan chassis along with the construction of the coach, insulation properties and all the amenities.
I haven't any experience with a Monaco, so I can't say if it's better or not as nice as a Newmar.
You can go to Newmar's website and pull up the brochure for any year coach you're interested in to see the construction data, standard/optional equipment, etc.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
not sure how reliable this is but I found it at...

http://www.justanswer.com/rv-motorho...-coach-rv.html

Engine Series

IS = Interact System (i.e. ISX, ISB)
Q/QS = Signifies that an industrial engine is electronically controlled. QS stands for QUANTUM SYSTEM CONTROLS
B = B series engine line, includes 3.3 , 3.9, 4.5 and 5.9 liter engines. Offered in both fully mechanical and electronic models. 5.9 liter engine is available in both industrial and automotive versions.
C = C series engine line, includes only 8.3 liter engines. Offered in both fully mechanical and electronic models, industrial and automotive versions available.
E = On older engine models this meant the engine was electronic. EXAMPLE: K2000E
K = K series engine line, includes 19, 23, 38, 45, 50 and 60 liter engine models.
L = L series engine line, includes older 10 liter and current 9 liter engine models. Industrial and automotive versions available.
M = M series engine line, includes M11, 11liter engines only. Industrial and automotive versions available.
N = N series engine line, no longer being produced for U.S. market. Included NTA855 and N14 engine series. Industrial and automotive versions available.
T = T series engine line such as the QST30.
X = X series engine line, includes 15 liter engines only. Industrial and automotive versions available.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Hi vincee,
The only difference between the L and C engines is the length of the piston stroke. Basically, everything else is the same.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes, but that longer stroke gives it more horsepower, torque and cubic inches.

lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel