Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2016, 10:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytigg View Post
New to RV world and wondering if owning a F.R.E.D. is a bad decision apart from the noise level in the front end. Do you think it has as much power as a Diesel Pusher or no? Is it easer to do self maintenance on vs. a pusher? Thank you for your help!

Well, Jimmy, there are some that have never owned or driven a FRED that say they are noisy by pure assumption. I owned and loved my Serrano FRED for 2.5 years!
I suggest you test drive everything!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2016, 01:18 PM   #16

No experience with an RV FRED, but I had 2+ years driving the transit coach version (International chassis). What a gutless wonder it was. I think half the power went into generating the noise!

There was an uphill on-ramp to I-5 southbound in Bellingham on one route and no matter what technique I used, the best merge speed I could achieve was about 15 mph. That's not fun when you're trying to merge onto a very busy, two-lane freeway!
Old 10-28-2016, 07:48 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

About the only thing a FRED and a DP have in common is a diesel engine. In all other regards, a FRED is essentially the same as a Front Gasser (FREG?). Leaf spring suspension, hydraulic brakes, etc. The Workhorse W22D is the same as te gas W22 except for mounting a Navistar diesel. However, the Freightliner FRED is a "purpose built" diesel straight rail chassis, so maybe a bit more robust.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:49 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Yeah, a large vehicle with a diesel engine in front over the steer tires is a bad idea. Sure glad no one ever built such a vehicle.

FREDs typically are a light weight chassis with a diesel added so his point is somewhat valid, none of the HD units in the pictures have a light chassis with independent suspension. BTW the firetruck is a mid-engine.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:42 PM   #19

A FRED is a gasser with a superior motor! They are neither gassers nor pushers. Nuff said?
FREDs don't deserve to be under rated for what they are.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:01 AM   #20

All I know about FRED RVs is that I have always thought the Monaco Vesta was a really cool looking unit, inside and out.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:03 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A front engine Diesel RV? Oh yeah...see the Truck Conversion pages here on iRV2.
They can be Class 5, 6, 7 or 8 trucks (from below to well above the GVWR's of all the Class A DP Chassis)...like this Class 8:

Click image for larger version

Name:	z_100_5529.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	142932

...to this Class 6

Name:	slider-dx3.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	142933

Here's my dream...

Name:	ML40coach.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	142934

No DP will have an 80,000lb GCWR

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 05:55 AM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
A front engine Diesel RV? Oh yeah...see the Truck Conversion pages here on iRV2.
They can be Class 5, 6, 7 or 8 trucks (from below to well above the GVWR's of all the Class A DP Chassis)...like this Class 8:

Attachment 142932

To this Class 6:

Attachment 142933

Here's my dream...

Attachment 142934

Safe travels
2 Class 8 Super Cs and some exotic that cost more than any DP on the market are not FREDs,
RV Tech Library - The FRED Chassis
Old 10-29-2016, 10:06 AM   #23

Our older Class A gas coach is very noisy on the road. I yearn for a diesel pusher, partly because of the noise and partly because I want a heavier-duty, more stable platform with better handling.

With that said, I am also tempted by the Super C category, those with a Freightliner truck style chassis with the front fenders and hood that tip up for service like most of the trucks do. That setup gives the best access for maintenance of the engine and related items. Whjle there would be some engine noise, I suspect it would not be as bad as the FRED styles that have the engine in (or under) the cockpit area with you.

Besides, I think those Super C units with the truck-style cab, hood and fenders just plain look cool! I like the looks of the Freightliners, but can you get me one in a Kenworth or a Peterbilt?
Old 10-29-2016, 11:52 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92TNTRacing View Post
2 Class 8 Super Cs and some exotic that cost more than any DP on the market are not FREDs,
RV Tech Library - The FRED Chassis
OK, so...in the interests of being specific (although the OP never excluded Super C's), having actually had experience with a Class A with a FRED Chassis (2009 Damon Outlaw), IMHO they are not really worth the extra cost and effort...which is probably why it is out of production.

First, the term "F.R.E.D." was trademarked by Freightliner for their MC-L chassis, but Workhorse produced the W22D about the same time and many erroneously called it a F.R.E.D.

What Dave and Gary said above is totally true...the MC-L had leaf spring suspensions front and rear and hydroboost hydraulic brakes carrying a Cummins/Allison power-set (5.9L and later 6.7L straight 6). It was basically just like a really big Cummins powered pick-up truck. The W22D was very similar in design, using the IH/Navistar Maxxforce V8 Diesel. These were good strong chassis, in 27K and 22K GVWR.
There was never any bigger engines offered that I ever found.

Monaco, Tiffin, Damon and Thor (maybe others) offered these chassis in RV's made around 2008-2011.

In an apples-to-apples comparison (2009 Outlaw 3611, available in Ford F53, Workhorse W24 or Freightliner FRED), the FRED offered only slightly better MPG than the Ford, but could not beat the W24's GM 8.1L/Allison 6speed for MPG. The drive-ability was equal with extra sound absorbing material placed in the doghouse, but heat was an issue (needed extra shielding). The W24 and F53 had better acceleration than the FRED, but the FRED had the highest GVWR with 27,000lb.

NADA puts a $3,500 premium on the FRED version of the Outlaw for sale price. This is due to the obvious GVWR boost, but also because of the Diesel vs. gas argument...those who want Diesel engines willing are pay to for it.

Best luck to the OP and safe travels to all
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 10-29-2016, 02:32 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not sure but I think turning radius is tighter on the dips, but a couple extra shimmys at the campground probabably not a big deal. Maybe once in a while in a pinch city driving.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:46 PM   #26
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
If for no other reason, I want the noise from that engine to be 40' behind me!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 04:25 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post

Attachment 142932

...to this Class 6

Attachment 142933

Here's my dream...

Attachment 142934

Safe travels
OK, that Class 8 Super C that looks like a Western Star front end...is that produced or is it a one off...I love it!
Old 10-29-2016, 04:41 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobster View Post
OK, that Class 8 Super C that looks like a Western Star front end...is that produced or is it a one off...I love it!
Oh Yeah! Isn't it beautiful?
It is a Showhauler product on the IH/Navistar "LoneStar" truck
PRODUCTS - Showhauler Motorhome Conversions

Here it is in grey:

Name:	DSC02938-1104x621.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	143002

http://www.showhauler.com/products/motorhomes/

We are not affiliated, but I (personally) would pick a MDT or HDT truck conversion if upgrading our RV...these Super C's start at Class 5's equal in price to many mainstream gas Class A's and go up...Surely not out of the reach of many buyers.

Here's a MDT using the IH TerraStar cab/chassis:

Name:	Ghost-at-rv-hall-of-famefull-size.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	273.5 KB
ID:	143003

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV

Tags