Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2014, 09:07 PM   #15

If it is brand new the tires are not round yet, it will take some miles to ride better. Also your suspension will be tight for a while. It will ride better when broke in.
abullit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2014, 09:17 PM   #16
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've had two DP's and I think your expectations may have been a little high. First your coach is about as short as you can possibly make a diesel pusher, which will cause some issues.

If you take a mattress, tie a rope to it and drag it down a rough freeway, you're still going to feel the lumps and bumps. Nothing is going to take away the rough ride on a bad freeway.

Air suspension is softer than spring suspension, but it doesn't eliminate everything. I can watch a gas coach in front of me hit a bump or pothole and bounce quite a bit. My DP will also bounce, just not as much. Just like a limousine, the longer the wheelbase, the more opportunity to smooth out the ride.

Because of the placement of the generator and the fact that your engine has to be behind the transmission and rear end in a DP, I'll guarantee that your wheelbase is shorter than a 32' gasser.

You won't get that floating on air feeling you get with a DP until your riding on a smooth road. Sorry you're disappointed.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:29 PM   #17

So far we have been on short trips without much weight inside - will more weight make is ride better

Thanks
RikR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:39 PM   #18

I haven't driven a motor home on Arizona freeways for 10 yrs,last time was an 89 30' Southwind. I guarentee my 2000 Dutchstar DP. rides way smoother than my old Southwind. But on I-10 and I-20 in Louisiana it will porpoise and bottom out at 60-65 mph. Some of our concrete freeways are just pathetic. Not even air ride can smooth them out.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:22 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian-nicola View Post
Chuck,

I LOVE you're 3 window ride....

Thanks Brian, lots of car shows and drag strips. I have had it since 1953 and I finished it in it's present condition in 1956 !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:33 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikR View Post
So far we have been on short trips without much weight inside - will more weight make is ride better

Thanks
Yes definitely a empty coach and no water, LP TANK , full fuel and all your stuff added will change a ride even in a gas coach.
Once you have it loaded than get it weight and using your tire mfg psi tables fill with proper pressures for the weight your carrying.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:35 AM   #21

Fleetwood rough ride. I had the very same experience on my 38v. As I drove down the interstate after purchase I said to myself This is terrible. Unfortunately Freightliner uses the worst tires and shocks on the planet. You will find Goodyear tires and Sache (?) shocks. The goodyears are rolling bricks. The shocks are not much better. The best setup is Michelin tires and Koni shocks. It transforms the vehicle into what you expected.

Koni shocks are not that much money go get them.

If I ever buy a new coach again, my first stop will be to get Koni's installed.

Tires are pretty expensive. Maybe you can trade the bricks in on some Michelins. Use the bricks for planters. You will not regret the expense. FMCA has a great tire program.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:37 AM   #22
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I've had two DP's and I think your expectations may have been a little high. First your coach is about as short as you can possibly make a diesel pusher, which will cause some issues.

If you take a mattress, tie a rope to it and drag it down a rough freeway, you're still going to feel the lumps and bumps. Nothing is going to take away the rough ride on a bad freeway.

Air suspension is softer than spring suspension, but it doesn't eliminate everything. I can watch a gas coach in front of me hit a bump or pothole and bounce quite a bit. My DP will also bounce, just not as much. Just like a limousine, the longer the wheelbase, the more opportunity to smooth out the ride.

Because of the placement of the generator and the fact that your engine has to be behind the transmission and rear end in a DP, I'll guarantee that your wheelbase is shorter than a 32' gasser.

You won't get that floating on air feeling you get with a DP until your riding on a smooth road. Sorry you're disappointed.
I agree! I was expecting too much when we got the DP. From what I hear, unless you're driving a Prevost, you're gonna shake on a bad road! I've never driven a Prevost, so I'm just speculating there!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:58 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide
I hear Prevost's ride like a magic carpet, but I dont believe it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Trust me, they really do.
I want the magic carpet test ride comparison...
Old 11-18-2014, 09:06 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks
What 007 said ... load it up. My Ventana rode OK empty but when it was loaded and pulling our SUV it was right at it's GCWR and rode very nicely. A huge improvement with more weight for sure.
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:15 AM   #25

Our Beaver rides like a dream on most roads. We went from Bullhead City to Albuquerque in July on I-40 I thought the rig was going to shake into pieces. I try to stay off interstates when possible. Taking back roads, slowing down and enjoying the view as much as we can. Hope you figure out the problem and can enjoy your rig.
bullheadbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:22 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have added this post in another thread has to do with tires and inflations.
You can agree or disagree, its your coach and your life possibly.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:12 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
We have had several gas motorhomes and have read for many years about the Cadillac ride quality of owning a diesel. When we retired we cash in our savings and just purchased a new 2014 Fleetwood Excursion 33D.

We live in Arizona and because of the summer heat many of our freeways has patches and crack fillers. Well this RV about shakes our teeth out on these roads. We have reduced the tire air pressure as low as we can go for the coach weight and had the ride height checked.

Do any diesels really have this cloud like ride on rougher freeways or were we sold a bill of goods.

We are very disappointed!

I test drove that model before I drove the Winnebago I bought used. The difference was night and day. That Fleetwood drove like an old truck, the Winnie like a Rolls Royce, not a rattle or squeak to be found in the Winnie, but that Fleetwood Excursion sounded like it was falling apart!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:23 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
I test drove that model before I drove the Winnebago I bought used. The difference was night and day. That Fleetwood drove like an old truck, the Winnie like a Rolls Royce, not a rattle or squeak to be found in the Winnie, but that Fleetwood Excursion sounded like it was falling apart!
I get the issues related to tires, shocks, air bags, and air pressure and their effects on ride quality. But....ride height? I don't get it. What does it need to be and can the owner adjust it or is it strictly a shop fix?
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel