Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dre View Post
Diesel fuel stinks! Truck stops that sell diesel fuel have fuel spills on the driveways. You stop to fuel you will get fuel on your shoes. Now all your friends think you stink!
If you stink and you run inside the MH to hide you will track in stinky fuel, now your MH stinks, therefore Diesel pushers all stink as they all need to visit truck stops. Moral of the story is to not buy a diesel Pusher!
We've had ours 9 months and have never noticed anything like this. Have never noticed diesel under the rig or on DH's shoes. BTW gasoline stinks also. Think we will keep our diesel.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticat900 View Post
Very few DP have engine brake.Most have a exhaust brake which is no where near as effective as a engine brake.I only go 4000 miles a year so
my costs are very low.oil is good for 4 years plus.Syn in trans is good for 300K so will never change it.may be the filters in it once.I grease the chassis once a year.I find by the time I slow down and reach the fuel pump the engine is more than safe to shut down.The only time your air brake alarm should sound is after sitting for a week or 2 not everytime you start it when cold.If it goes off after one day u have seriuos air leak
One "BIG"thing about a 40Ft+ MH is U really need to judge your lead time pulling off side street onto main road traffic and really need to learn the increased turning radious required otherwise you will be running over curbs and sidewalks and lawns etc
I am told by Cummins engine mechanics and by the Cummins manual that the oil should be changed every year regardless of mileage. Moisture mixes with it and it becomes acidic. Also, required tranny fluid change is more like 3-4 years, not 300K mileage, at least on a Cummins ISL.

Don

Old 06-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #45

I have herd that you need to buy something like a class c cheap and dump it when you get home because the roads tear the crap out of them.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:11 AM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I read the manual after an RV tech moved my motorhome and said there was a terrible screeching when he turned. He said the buzzer had gone off. After reading the section on air it said it should not be moved till it reached 100psi He had moved it just past 60. I had tried one time, not knowing, and when it made a pop I quit, but some people will just keep going, makes one wonder about their common sense.

Mine was only reaching 118, when the mechanic went all over the coach inspecting stuff, he thought it needed a new compressor, but turned out not to and the compressor only needed serviced. With the new PacBrake cylinder wonder if it will go to 125 now? He also adjusted the power steering.

But I am still waiting to get it back. Went to pick it up last week and while running the genny he said it overheated. I have called and he has changed out the battery on it, also getting the shocks I wanted but STILL hasn't looked at the generator yet, his guy is out. They do good service there if you don't mind waiting for eons.

I have had everything and I mean everything serviced on the old Eagle, this is the end run. Or should I say I have paid to have everything serviced and hope it has been, won't know till hubby looks it over, but I feel comfortable with this guy, have used him before.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #47

Official iRV2 Sponsor

When you read through this thread you begin to understand why there are so many RVs out there with messed up diesel engines and transmissions. People who give advice like changing their oil every 4 years or never changing their transmission fluid may manage to use their rigs without realizing what they are doing to them, but the next owner will surely discover the problems they have left behind. Treat these power systems with recommended maintenance and they should outlive you; mistreat them and you will be out lots of $$$.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
This is so simple. Go to your local (preferably big) dealership and drive one of each. Pick an "upscale" Gasser so you know you're getting all the doo*dads and probably a great chassis / drivetrain setup. Pick a medium priced Diesel and, if there's one around, a two to four year old used DP. Take each for a good run making sure that hit a fairly steep hill (both up and down), a bumpy section of road, and a strectch of highway that allows you to go 60+ mph. Which one do you want to drive to Alaska? I've had two gassers and three pushers; one gasser went across the nation twice, pulling my Jeep. I liked it. I've done the same trip several times in our tag Diesels. I loved it. Bumpy roads and uneven pavement introduce you to air suspension vs. mechanical suspension, providing a pretty vivid experience of the difference; hills show you the difference between (max)500 lbs. of torque vs. 1000+ (typical) going up, and the value of exhaust / engine brake coming down; 60+ driving allows you to experience the noise from the gasser (engine between you and passenger) vs. the lack of noise from the big burner about 35' behind you; 60+ allows you to "feel" about 30,000 pounds on air vs. about 20,000 pounds on springs - there is a difference, especially when it comes to "wandering". Now, if you like what you experienced, buy the used DP 'cause somebody else has already done the "shakedown cruise" for you and hopefully worked out all the bugs; you don't want to be doing this yourselves on the way to Alaska. As for all the other "considerations" I've seen mentioned here ..... fogedaboudit. Have fun.
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
.I only go 4000 miles a year so
my costs are very low.oil is good for 4 years plus.c
I'm still curious... what type of engine can go 4 years between oil changes?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #50

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I'm still curious... what type of engine can go 4 years between oil changes?

Rick
NONE that I know of unless they're doing oil analysis.

The specs on our ISC are yearly or ever 15,000 miles which ever occurs FIRST. Seems like the poster is going by which ever occurs last. Not right!!

Cummins even says you can't extend the change intervals when using fully synthetic oil unless doing oil analysis.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
I am told by Cummins engine mechanics and by the Cummins manual that the oil should be changed every year regardless of mileage. Moisture mixes with it and it becomes acidic. Also, required tranny fluid change is more like 3-4 years, not 300K mileage, at least on a Cummins ISL.

Don
Allison themselves say their transyn 295 oil is good for 300K go look it up
Oil is good for 20000 miles read it in the manual if you dont believe it
I dont care what cummins says.Iam not going to change oil every year with only 4000 mile,s. it,s a waste of oil and money.your not getting enough acid in the oil in a year to even bothering mention of it.U do whatever u like I do what I know and works for me through years of experience.I have never ever seen,heard of or had a cummins engine problem because someone went 3-4 years and only 10-12 K miles between changes.My MH will be 10 years old befor I sell it(6 left)
and I will change the trans filters once but will never change all the trans oil
Old 06-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #52

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I dont care what cummins says.Iam not going to change oil every year with only 4000 mile,s. it,s a waste of oil and money.your not getting enough acid in the oil in a year to even bothering mention of it.U do whatever u like I do what I know and works for me through years of experience.I have never ever seen,heard of or had a cummins engine problem because someone went 3-4 years and only 10-12 K miles between changes.My MH will be 10 years old befor I sell it(6 left)
and I will change the trans filters once but will never change all the trans oil
Going to bet you've never checked the SCA in the coolant (let alone changed the coolant) nor changed the air dryer cartridge either. How about the air filter and coolant filter? Then there's the hydraulic fluid and filters. How about them?

Just amazed at the people that think they know more about an engine/trans etc. than the engineers that designed and built the product.

Now you know why I don't buy used vehicles!!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Very few DP have engine brake.Most have a exhaust brake which is no where near as effective as a engine brake.I only go 4000 miles a year so
my costs are very low.oil is good for 4 years plus.Syn in trans is good for 300K so will never change it.may be the filters in it once.I grease the chassis once a year.I find by the time I slow down and reach the fuel pump the engine is more than safe to shut down.The only time your air brake alarm should sound is after sitting for a week or 2 not everytime you start it when cold.If it goes off after one day u have seriuos air leak
One "BIG"thing about a 40Ft+ MH is U really need to judge your lead time pulling off side street onto main road traffic and really need to learn the increased turning radious required otherwise you will be running over curbs and sidewalks and lawns etc
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification.

It would probably be helpful to the diesel newbies asking questions if you included in your advice that you were suggesting actions which were not supported by either the manufacturer or probably by any extended warranty company which they may be covered by.

Making the case that diesels are low maintenance... based on these assumptions, well... it can be a bit misleading.

Thanks again.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Thanks for the clarification.

It would probably be helpful to the diesel newbies asking questions if you included in your advice that you were suggesting actions which were not supported by either the manufacturer or probably by any extended warranty company which they may be covered by.

Making the case that diesels are low maintenance... based on these assumptions, well... it can be a bit misleading.

Thanks again.

Rick
I would think it would affect your insurance coverage as well. If you were to have an accident caused by equipment failure because you had not followed manufacturer required maintenance, it is very possible your insurance company would not cover you.

Thanks guys for clarifying this. I am one of the newbies, who thought the original posts sounded accurate.

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:04 AM   #55

<< this guy works for Chrysler Corp, and was also technician with them for some time. Of course, one the engines I saw on a regular basis was the Cummins. Do I think you should go 20k+ miles or several years between O/Cs?? NOPE! I agree that motor oil is more advanced now than before, but 7500 miles is around the most one should put on their engine between O/Cs in my educated opinion. In fact, with extended service Diesel vehicles, we recommend the O/Cs be done every 7500 or less. If anyone ever told you 20k+ was perfectly acceptable, it may be because they'd like to see you with bigger problems later on down the road.

Oil has a life span. No that's not a wives tale, it's not like the oil was years ago. Today's oil has detergents and additives that break down and separate with age. Factors like continuous temperature changes, condensation (over extended periods of time) among others will all compromise the oil's integrity. Will driving 20k or 4-5yrs between O/Cs kill your engine?? No....not quickly. But I promise, that engine isn't going to look as nice inside or perform as well after 300-400k as one that was babied, with O/Cs every 5-7k. Just my 2cents

Don't be cheap, change your oil. It's literally the only nice thing you can do for your engine that really can help extend life and improve economy etc.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I had a 2005 Winnebago Sightseer it was a nice coach, maybe should have kept it. But I hear people saying how loud the engine was and they couldn't talk for it or how hot it got in front. I never had that problem, we never had engine noise you couldn't talk over or anything like that. I put around 20000 miles on it. My big issue was buffeting by semis either meeting or passing me, and the wind blowing us around because it was light. I also wanted a w/dryer and didn't like the bathroom straddling the hallway. But we have bought a really old DP, probably not wise, but think we will have everything fixed in the next week. We have done a ton of upgrades too. If we still have it when hubby retires not such an issue as he can repair most anything. Just not wise to buy an old one if you can't be home to fix it and have to hire it done, only costs an arm and a couple of legs. Talk about expensive!!

We had very little problems with the Winnie, though initially I had it inspected it needed quite a few things fixed also, while I had it, tire issues, but after I put new on it nothing. We did a lot of adds to it to correct the wondering and it got a whole lot better, but a lot I found was road conditions too. The badly rutted highways in areas sure were tough to drive one. Did hit some stuff and messed up a new tire and my tailpipe, do not hit road alligators, bad stuff. But I liked the coach, it was 29 foot and easy to get around. Now the new old one is 38 ft and I've been driving it around trying to get a feel for it and with toad that is quite a bit of vehicle to get around and in and out of places but I will learn. Now the pacbrake is working, the cylinder was leaking air, it should help me in feeling more in control. But I agree maintenance is all important. When ours is ever sold there will be records and excellent maintenance for it while we have it and use it. I would also say next spring or maybe even this fall 2 new front steer tires will be put on and next year the rear tires. I had them inspected twice and they say they are fine but I will feel better when they are replaced. We may have one more coach after this and it will be newer and have slides like our Winnie, but I want to experience this one over the next couple of years at least.

Tags
diesel