Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2015, 01:56 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Diesel running bad

Just bought a 2006 Damon Astoria (20250 miles) with 300 hp Cummins. Filled up fuel in AZ for the trip home to California, about 210 miles. Ran great for about 100 miles. at this point, engine acted like it looseing power and would not accelerate. Stopped several times and shut it off. At restart it ran ok for a while. I am going to change oil, filter, fuel filter, air cleaner filter.I bought it from a dealer who has had it on his lot for close to a year. Could the fuel just be bad? Do I need to do anything else? First diesel so any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2015, 06:21 AM   #2

Look for an inline filter before the lift pump. I had the same problem with a similar mileage MH last month. The filter will be inside the frame rail between the fuel tank and lift pump.

JumboJet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:10 AM   #3
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Algae in fuel? Start changing fuel filters. It may take several and you may need to treat the fuel. Do a search for Algae in diesel.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:45 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
X2 on the fuel filters, I had a bout of algae in my tanks and it nearly clogged the top of the primary fuel filter with black slime.

When I know the coach will be parked for a period of time I always make sure the tank is full to reduce condensation. I then add a maintenance dose of BioBor. I will also add Startron Enzyme treatment which is suppose to breakdown the dead algae.

If you have algae you will have to dose the system with a higher level of treatment.

I carry extra filters but never had to replace on the road.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:36 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Don't overthink it until you've changed the primary fuel filter at least once. Probably something like 80% of the time these symptoms will be nothing more than a dirty fuel filter.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:21 PM   #6

Before it sat on the dealer's lot for "almost a year", how long did it sit at the owner's house? The rig should have been given a COMPLETE service job to insure your investment. I would not trust the dealer as far a I could throw him for doing this. It's your investment; it's your responsibility. Get Freightliner or some other reputable business to service the whole chassis, engine, fuel delivery system, etc., etc. You will find out what the problem is.

Travel safe & good luck.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:30 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Loosen fuel cap. Something may have moved into the vent holes and plugged them. Diesel of this vintage can't stand pressurized fuel tank.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboJet2 View Post
Look for an inline filter before the lift pump. I had the same problem with a similar mileage MH last month. The filter will be inside the frame rail between the fuel tank and lift pump.

I gotta say, that appears to be one lousy way of mounting a fuel filter. And, based on the experiences of many of you with the same type/style of fuel filter, did any of you rep-mount it for better access and an easier change? I don't have one like that. Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, has a single fuel filter at the back of the radiator which, is not too bad or, accessible for maintenance.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
I gotta say, that appears to be one lousy way of mounting a fuel filter. And, based on the experiences of many of you with the same type/style of fuel filter, did any of you rep-mount it for better access and an easier change? I don't have one like that. Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, has a single fuel filter at the back of the radiator which, is not too bad or, accessible for maintenance.
Scott
That is actually a Racor inline screen strainer before the lift pump. The actual Fleetguard Filter/Water Separator is between the lift pump and injection pump.

YES, I moved that strainer where it is more accessible but still inside the frame rail. It now sits behind the rear axle instead of in front of it. I also added a shutoff valve so I can change filters without taking a bath in a quart or so of #2 diesel fuel.
JumboJet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:41 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X2 on that strainer filter, a friend of mine has a Astoria and was having the same issues
Old 09-04-2015, 07:59 PM   #11

Change the fuel filters first and treat the tank at each fill up with Biobor.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:11 PM   #12

I have a 2007 with a 300 Cummins. Last year I filled up and about 300 miles later I started having the same problem. I changed approx. 5 filters over a 6 month period. Each time I would go further before engine started miss firing and sputtering. I purchased some filters at Orielly and some on the internet, I keep several spare fuel filters with me at all times. I also keep a 1 gal can of diesel to prefill the filters.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:25 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you everyone for the quick and great information. I am going to do "all of the above" and try to get in front of this. I will be posting more as things get better (or worse). I hope to see some of you on the road.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:42 AM   #14

I also moved the Racor strainer to a more accessible location.
Cummins says you do not have to prefill the filter on a 300 hp 5.9l because tgey use a lift pump,just cycle the key a few times to let them fill.

This is what I do now and it works fine

dave

Tags
diesel