Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2014, 08:24 AM   #43

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbargolf View Post
You know guys, folks who own gassers love them, folks who love DP love them, never the twain shall meet. Our experience and IMHO only , owned a 34ft v10 gasser coach when parked was nice, on the road not so much. On a grade the trans would downshift and scream like a banshee, so much that our pup would run to the bed room and hide. Wind wander was terrible, all over the road when the wind was high. Moved to a 40ft DP. On a grade really I didn't notice, and on the way down had an exhaust brake, very little wind wander. Living space was wonderful. The Allison Transmission none better.

So back to topic the maintenance is more but not overwhelming. Is it worth it depends on the person, to us well worth it. We would never go back but that's just us, others have their opinion and we respect that.

Happy trails THAT'S WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT.
Well said. Threads like this evoke unnecessary animosity. There's no need to create "converts" to your cause. We like our DP; you might also. What you buy is your choice alone.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2014, 08:25 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
I don't know where he comes up with 3 to 4 mpg better on fuel with a diesel. These 500hp + Diesels are thirsty. They avg 6 at best as I'm told by a few of my friends that have them. I'll take my gas coach any day for the amount of miles we drive now. Average is about 4K miles per year for us and another way to look at it is, when we're sitting still we all have the same ammentities aboard. JMHO Maintenace wise as far as a cheaper cost?? Hands down "GAS".
Anyone that hasn't owned both their comments are ignored by us, but that's just us. To each his own.
Here's my fact OWNED BOTH
v10 ford gasser 6 mpg towing
cummins 360 8.5 mpg towing same tow
now that's a fact jack not hear say

The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:26 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbargolf View Post
You know guys, folks who own gassers love them, folks who love DP love them, never the twain shall meet. Our experience and IMHO only , owned a 34ft v10 gasser coach when parked was nice, on the road not so much. On a grade the trans would downshift and scream like a banshee, so much that our pup would run to the bed room and hide. Wind wander was terrible, all over the road when the wind was high. Moved to a 40ft DP. On a grade really I didn't notice, and on the way down had an exhaust brake, very little wind wander. Living space was wonderful. The Allison Transmission none better.

So back to topic the maintenance is more but not overwhelming. Is it worth it depends on the person, to us well worth it. We would never go back but that's just us, others have their opinion and we respect that.

Happy trails THAT'S WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT.

Good job trying to come off as neutral. Happy trails yes. But again bashing gas with things that aren't relavent. Gas coaches of the past 8 or so years are different. You've never read a post about a diesel wandering or having questionable handling?
Old 05-09-2014, 08:28 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
Well said. Threads like this evoke unnecessary animosity. There's no need to create "converts" to your cause. We like our DP; you might also. What you buy is your choice alone.

And you might like our gasser. Lol
Old 05-09-2014, 08:49 AM   #47

Well, I just read through all 4 pages of these posts!

There's 20 minutes of my life I will never get back!!!!
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:00 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by phnguyk View Post
Good job trying to come off as neutral. Happy trails yes. But again bashing gas with things that aren't relavent. Gas coaches of the past 8 or so years are different. You've never read a post about a diesel wandering or having questionable handling?
Most coaches are poorly built w/engines that strain - which is why they get such poor mpg. You get maybe 2000-4000lbs of useable gear to put on board IF you don't fill the water and fuel tanks to max. Diesel wandering - is that like your statement that gas doesn't go bad?
Old 05-09-2014, 09:05 AM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
And the WINNER IS?

Whatever you own.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:05 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwell View Post
What the heck are you talking about? I have to change my oil every time I reach my destination regardless of how far I have driven? What century are you living in? I put mobile one in and usually don't have to change it for a year. Over 100,000 on my v10 and it runs like a top. If for some reason I blow it completely, I can get a new or rebuilt entire engine for about 3-5k. How much is it when (not if) the turbo goes out on one of those big diesel powerplants again?

There is so much BS that gets thrown around on both sides. Diesel is premium platform. There are no cost savings in going the diesel route but there are advantages that many believe are well worth the price of admission.
No BS, even mobile one has its limitations sorry to say, and ya the extreme conditions your V10 see's in a trip that's involves any hills or mountains of consequences stress's your engine, the oil, your transmission, cooling system, every part of your drive train near or past its design limits, even your bounder that weights 17-18000 lbs which coincidently is not comparing apples to apples still exceeds your engines limits, so try pulling fancy gap for 15 miles at 55 mph, you wont be able to do it and you will shave years off you engines life trying, lastly to answer your questions, live in Canada, 21st century, been here for quite a while, seen the inside of to many gas engines that have been over worked in boats, motorhomes and even pick up trucks, coincidently had a bounder ford powered, manifolds cracked, spark plugs tore right out of cylinder heads, none of which was cheap to fix, and they burn oil past 50K miles. But if ya wanna play you have to pay. I realized that the engine, transmission suspension and drive train were designed for a delivery van and adapted to coach use by Fleetwood, it was not a good combination for me and the miles I travelled, or the terrain I had to follow. So I had no choice other than go to diesel pusher and I am glad I did.

Moxy
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #51

Since 1970 all tanks are vented through a charcoal canister, into the engine to be burned before being released to the atmosphere. This is called evaporative emission control.
Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:19 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikehunter View Post
Most coaches are poorly built w/engines that strain - which is why they get such poor mpg. You get maybe 2000-4000lbs of useable gear to put on board IF you don't fill the water and fuel tanks to max. Diesel wandering - is that like your statement that gas doesn't go bad?

Exactly proving my point that diesel owners don't admit that their precious diesels can have problems too. And no gas doesn't go bad in a sealed pressurized fuel system. (So rare it's almost unheard of (Mod Edit))
Old 05-09-2014, 09:24 AM   #53

(Mod Edit)

Show me the charcoal canister on my my v10. I can show you the one on my 72 bronco. Really? I look bad? Ever heard of a check engine/gas cap light coming on for a bad gas cap not sealing? Wow. What is that whooshing sound when you take your cap off? It's pressure equalizing. Maybe you should stop making yourself look bad.

My bad there is a charcoal canister. But it's still a pressurized sealed system.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:30 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
No BS, even mobile one has its limitations sorry to say, and ya the extreme conditions your V10 see's in a trip that's involves any hills or mountains of consequences stress's your engine, the oil, your transmission, cooling system, every part of your drive train near or past its design limits, even your bounder that weights 17-18000 lbs which coincidently is not comparing apples to apples still exceeds your engines limits, so try pulling fancy gap for 15 miles at 55 mph, you wont be able to do it and you will shave years off you engines life trying, lastly to answer your questions, live in Canada, 21st century, been here for quite a while, seen the inside of to many gas engines that have been over worked in boats, motorhomes and even pick up trucks, coincidently had a bounder ford powered, manifolds cracked, spark plugs tore right out of cylinder heads, none of which was cheap to fix, and they burn oil past 50K miles. But if ya wanna play you have to pay. I realized that the engine, transmission suspension and drive train were designed for a delivery van and adapted to coach use by Fleetwood, it was not a good combination for me and the miles I travelled, or the terrain I had to follow. So I had no choice other than go to diesel pusher and I am glad I did.

Moxy
Lot's of truth here... I had a rental 31' class C a few years back driving from LA to San Fran. I tried to hold 50 mph through the grape vine north... 2 miles in that V10 had down shifted and was screaming at 5k rpm... blowing white smoke. Had to back off and climb the pass at 25 mph.

I can hold 55 mph with my 30k lb Diesel Pusher going up through The Notch in New Hampshire.

Point is... that V10 will not last long in that rig.
Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:36 AM   #55

Prior to 1971, when the EPA mandated sealed fuel systems, vapors emanating from the tank made up a significant portion of a car’s overall hydrocarbon emissions. The corking of the tank was—and still is today—accomplished by temporarily storing excess vapor in a charcoal canister. From there, it is periodically purged to the engine, where it is burned along with fuel from the injectors.
But even in closed-off systems, there’s a tiny amount of fuel that escapes through the tank and its associated plumbing, and this—called “permeation”—is regulated. The EPA’s current Tier II Bin 5 passenger-car standard allows for a maximum leakage of 95 milligrams per day. To achieve CARB’s squeaky-clean Partial Zero-Emission Vehicle (PZEV) rating, a tank must emit just 20 milligrams a day, a 79-percent reduction
Old 05-09-2014, 09:46 AM   #56

Wow, this is comical at this point.

akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas, service