Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2014, 08:03 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
x2 on floor plan. Went to DP in 2005. Lots of maintenance items that never occur on a gasser. Air dryer, FWS, DEF if a newer rig. Greater learning curve (for me anyway) on DP. Took a long time to remember what to do if the engine was shutdown while in gear. Sometimes hard to find a place for service. Went back to gasser this year. Same floor plan would have been 75-100K more in a DP. Figured we spent more time living in than driving the rig. Oil changes are almost a push but other rest of maintenance is much less in gasser.
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2014, 08:04 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingrydr57 View Post
I asked a friend who is a diesel mechanic if when I purchase my class a motorhome which is better gas or diesel he said hands down diesel, longer engine life more power etc. I was wondering though how much more would it cost for anual service as apposed to gas .

Clear skies, Steve W.
Since I'm never in a hurry, I drive 55-60MPR. I see more of the country & try to stay off highways. Saying that, I drive a gaser. I'm a hands on person so it suites me. No, I don't have the power of diesels, especially in the mountains,however, on a two lane road when diesels are behind me, we're doing the same speed. The maintenance cost difference is real & it all goes back to your pocketbook & how big of a hurry you're in. Safe jjourney Steve.
Godtomley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:07 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
I read a thread today for a DP that was somewhere between $500 and $1000 for the filters, oil and labor.
Perhaps it was my thread (?) where I asked how much a full diesel chassis service should cost. In my case, I got the motor oil and filter changed, a new fuel filter, a transmission flush, generator oil changed and new fuel filter, new air filter, complete chassis lube, rear differential checked, all fluids topped, belts, hoses, and brakes checked... and lastly a NYS inspection for $591 with tax. I had several people tell me that was a pretty good price.

The original poster asked about annual service, not just the cost of an oil change... Granted, I won't do a tranny service every year, but should be considered every few years... which I am sure can be debated as well.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
They both, gas or diesel, cost money to maintain. The OP's question was what cost more to service yearly. Certainly not a thousand bucks, DP once a year full service, filters two, lube the chassis, 26 liters of oil, $300 to $350. I imagine changing the oil and filters twice yearly on a gas class A is the same. Ride is the big reason DW and I choose a DP. Drive both for six to seven hours on I 95 through SC, I 10 going into Texas or I 84 in PA. You'll see!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
there is a reason new gas class a's out sell diesels almost 3 to 1...
Yes and the reason is because they are much cheaper to buy. If they were the same cost, they would discontinue gas models.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #20

For most rv'ers here, a gas engine will do just fine if you drive less than 25,000 mi/yr. But if you're interested in a diesel here are true costs:

Never take it back to the dealer for service, unless it's a warranty job.

For a 5.9L to 8.3L Cummins engine the cost of an oil change should be $70-120 b/c the filters are Stratapore and don't cost more than $12-25. The oil is Rotella-T @ $9/gal (takes 3-6 gals) and the rest is labor. To change the fuel/water separator add about $25-50 for unit. Where it gets expensive is the valve-lash adjustment. On the Cummins or a DD it takes about 2-3 hrs labor. On a CAT it's more expensive - b/c their mechs charge more.

When I did my 14L truck engine it cost me about $300 for an oil change + $100 for the fuel/water sep not including my labor.

I won't bother to tell you how expensive it is to do my boat engine since it has 3 oil and 2 fuel filters.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:16 PM   #21

Is a requisite that if you own a diesel you have to lie? $124 with 27 quarts of oil, that is some cheap (Mod Edit) oil. If it's true then good for you, as for power up and down hills, not a concern at all, what a joke of a comment. Fuel filters, gas with a 100,000 miles with out ever changing one is much more common than you would try to make us believe. Also fuel filters are very important in diesel engines, 2 years? How many times have you heard of contaminated gas? Not many, contaminated diesel on the other hand hate to tell you it's kinda common, whether from sitting or supply. And no your mpg's will never make up for the initial cost or maintenance (not including repairs, more expensive on diesels) over a gasser. OP asked which is costlier and should he listen to his mechanic about diesel being better, diesel may be better to some and gas for others. As a gas owner I cannot stand when I read these blatant lies from diesel owners. This is my opinion.
phnguyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:05 PM   #22

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sometimes it really comes down to what you would rather have; a gasser or DP. I imagine that a gasser is a bit cheaper to maintain, but a few weeks ago I had a guy come to my motorhome and change the oil and filter in my Cumins ISB for $185. This is more than Jiffy Lube charges for my cars, but it is not totally outrageous either. As long as it is reasonable, then I am sticking with the DP. It has good torque, a great drive train and fit for purpose to power a motorhome with ease. I think that I will be on this learning curve for years trying to understand all of this, but that is ok with me. I enjoy it. When it time to sell I also will be expecting more in return with the DP over the gasser.
Philliec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:19 PM   #23

There is a never ending discussion back and forth on gas vs diesel power. Over my years of RVing (34 years) I have met dozens of owners of gas rigs that liked them and dozens of owners of diesel rigs that liked them. Drive both and buy what you like. The maintenance cost difference between the motors is negligible, or at least not a lot.

I really like the motor of our rig being 40' behind me when I am driving. I don't really care if it is a gas or a diesel mill way back there, just as long as it can move the rig up big hills and down big hills.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:01 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For the OP, here's the facts for routine maint:

Gas 6.8L Ford - oil change at mfgt recommended 7,500miles about $30.
GM & Dodge is pretty much the same.

Diesel ISB Cummins - oil change at mfgt recommended 10,000miles about $150.
The bigger Diesels cost more, plus there are extra parts like fuel/water separators.

Plus Diesel is typically more expensive than gas, then there is DEF costs, so the mileage benefit of the Diesel is lost at the pump in figuring miles per dollars.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:27 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've been reading these posts of diesel vs. gas for three plus years now. There are as many problems with a diesel due to it's complexity as a gas. Diesel is always 7-25% more than gas. Diesel initial costs are $25-50k more. Regular preventative maintenance on a diesel is 2-4 times more than a gas. Parts are 2-4 times more expensive on a diesel. Almost no owner does his own maintenance on diesel yet many more do their own on a gas, as I do.
So far I've compiled a list of 40+ reasons not to have a diesel. Most that own a gas are not speed demons, yet a gasser will go just as fast, some even up hill. I always get there maybe a 1/2 hour longer. Rarely anyone goes 200,000 miles in their RV. Gassers will last that easily. V-10's are noted to go 2-500,000, with no overhauls.
Diesel people with money can afford the extra cost and their benefits, I personally don't waste mine.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:32 AM   #26

I have a gas rig and most likely will switch to a diesel one. We are going fulltime and I don't feel a gas rig will have enough power for what we want. We want 40' and four slides. If there was a super duper new gas engine where I could have the above I would jump on the gas rig. But there is not, so I will have to go to a diesel rig.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:44 AM   #27

(MOD EDIT)

In 17 years of owning diesels, trucks, boats and now RV's... I hve never... ever had an issue with contaminated fuel. Does it happen? yes. Now... I have blown up snowmobiles due to water in gas as well as taken on a load of airplane fuel completely trashed by water intrusion.

Current gasoline mixes are only good for a few months at best without proper treatment. The light ends evaporate and varnish occurs. How often have you tried to start a gas fired engine after sitting a few months to find it running rough or not at all due to gummed up carb or injectors? Diesel doesn't evaporate like gasoline.

I accept your apology for the indication I lied.. as you refer to the current Speedco Diesel Lube service price list attached and found here.

Notice... it's the ISB (Light Duty) that I referred to... My rig has an ISB and I don't envy the bigger ISC, M or even the X. (maybe a little)

Mal-POWWW!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LubeSheetJAn2014.pdf (122.0 KB, 67 views)
Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:48 AM   #28

(MOD EDIT)

I change (MY FILTER) every two years, one filter one water separator, when you are carry 100 plus gallons of diesel or gasoline water is a problem period, to deny that is foolish, no one that I know justifies diesel pusher coaches because of the mileage don't be a fool, show me a gas engine anywhere that will move my 50,000 lbs up any hill, doesn't exist, show me a gas engine in any class A that even if properly maintained will last over 100000 miles, gas engines in large class A are out of their league, they were never designed for that kind of punishment and stress, diesel coach's are more expensive yes, they resale for much more too, they have much better longevity, not just due to the engine, but the tranny, the generators, and other components that are heavy duty, not just camper grade.
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas, service