Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-17-2015, 06:16 PM   #15
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll throw in the "Build what you want" From a diesel Box truck and get the best of both worlds.*

*some assembly required

total of $8K in the unit, 16K lbs + 6K lbs trailer and Jeep = 10 MPG!!
Tilt nose front end (Very easy maintenance)

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2015, 06:22 PM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
Amen to that!
Agreed and "thirded" ( is that a word?) anyway, if all short trips that you are rushing to get to, you may be a candidate for a gasser. Overall less expensive and ride and amenities don't mean as much. JMHO.

Jerry, "EWC (SW)" USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder 505 HP C-12 1550 TQ
Allison 4000MH Ram 4X4 towed
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:28 PM   #17
iRV2 No Limits Club
Get what the DW wants be it gas or diesel, but a gas unit would work well if you can decide on a floorplan.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:19 AM   #18
gas or diesel

Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
I'll throw in the "Build what you want" From a diesel Box truck and get the best of both worlds.*

*some assembly required

total of $8K in the unit, 16K lbs + 6K lbs trailer and Jeep = 10 MPG!!
Tilt nose front end (Very easy maintenance)
I don't think the folks asking gas or diesel is thinking or will be thinking of something like you have! What you have fits your need, it wouldn't fit my need, all the places I go would not let you in, not that your rig is old, but they don't want a "box" truck siiting in the mist of Country Coaches, Winnebago's, Nationals, etc, people would complain, shame on them but that is the way it is. I bet you had fun making your "coach"!
2001 Islander
Retiredblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:11 AM   #19
Diesel verses Gas

Originally Posted by TexasRV View Post
I recently posted the thread " On the Hunt" and got a lot of great advise on what to consider when shopping for a motor home. I did receive one comment on "diesel verses gas" so I would like to poll those that have experienced both to see what their opinions are. Since I'm not retired, most of our trips will be for several days, not weeks, and be within 1000 miles of home.
Once again, I appreciate any information and thanks in advance!

Threads like this one are very entertaining if you can keep from getting "wrapped around the axle" when someone walks all over your particular choice.

The "diesel vs gas" argument is really a red herring. Any prospective RV owner who does some honest self interrogation concerning the purchase will have the question answered by needs rather that other people's thoughts.

If you seriously discuss the following points, the diesel/gas conundrum will solve itself.
1. How many people will usually be traveling?
2. What types of places will you typically go and do you see much dry camping in your future.?
3. How long will your typical trip be?
4. Given the answers to the above, how much room do you need? Length and number of slides?
5. Would you prefer all electric residential type of appliances or LP appliances? Remember #2 above. If truly all electric, an AquaHot type heating unit or a tankless water heater is required.
6. Is one full bath ok or is 1 1/2 bath preferred. Remember space used for a bath is space unusable for other purposes.
7. Will you tow and what will you tow?

There are many other question to hash out. Each of the above will lead to other question but you get the idea.

Once you do the above exercise the diesel/gas question will probably be answered for you. The size and weight of the coach you need to fulfill your wish list will dictate.

Good lick and safe travels.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:55 AM   #20
My first one was a 32 foot gasser and the next two 40 diesel. We are full time now so we need the 40 diesel. The gasser is a good choice for local weekend trips. The main thing after you pick it out test drive it. My gasser was so bad driving that I was white knuckled the whole time driving it. We drove it out to Lubbock TX and the wind was terrible and the big trucks passing us was a major event. We picked up a 40 foot Discovery and was like driving a car. But if you want local and lower maintenance, then the gasser is a good choice. Driving it is the deal maker.
Ron KB9TF, Fulltime
2008 Tiffin Phaeton 40 Foot QSH
2011 Honda CRV with Blue Ox towbar and brake
kb9tf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:24 AM   #21
I want to stay out of this discussion, but would like to point out that there are nuances..
I just went through this process myself.

Gas coaches range from old, primitive to modern and luxurious. A 1990s coach on 16” wheels with a short narrow wheelbase and underpowered engine is not the same as a late model high end gasser with 220”+ wheelbase, 22.5” wheels on a 22K-24K chassis, modern engine and high end/solid material interior.

At the other end, diesels are not all alike either. A high end 500k coach has very little in common with an entry level diesel. Read about the RR4 chassis on the Monaco and HR diesels, or the short wheelbase on the entry level models by Forest River, Fleetwood or Winnebago. They are far from perfect, with their rattles and often mediocre driving characteristics.

A gas coach can easily be improved by adding air bags, sumos,konis, etc. which makes the driving characteristics gap between gas and diesel very small. Because diesels are so much heavier, fuel economy is also comparable, they all (gas and diesel) seem to do around 7mpg.

If your choice is between an older lower/middle class diesel or a newer higher end gasser, I think you’ll find the gas coaches very competitive, and often have a more livable floorplan.
Comparing an antique gasser with a newer high end diesel is pointless.
2012 Itasca Suncruiser 35P
2002 Volkswagen Beetle on a eze-tow dolly
RndmTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:41 PM   #22
All you will get with a "Gas vs Diesel" questions are individual opinions of people that are happy with what they have. Each one will have a reason why they chose what they have. Some gas owners have never driven a diesel. The only way for you to get the correct answer is to get on with the hunt, check out floor plans and drive several of each. After driving a half dozen gas and an equal number of diesels, you will have your answer. Then it's a matter of what's in the check book. Fill in the amount, hand it to the seller and start enjoying your "new to you" gas/diesel RV.
2013 43 QGP Allegro Bus
26' Enclosed trailer for toys
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:12 PM   #23
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have 6 yrs to retirement and use my coach on weekends and vacation. I have a gas 2015 Itasca 38q. I couldn't justify the additional expense nor maintenance of a dp for non full time use. I do not have the wind issue that others have mentioned with the gas unit, but it is a newer coach.

The Suncruisers and Adventure units have the upgraded interior,finishes and appliances as the Mid level diesel in the Winnebago line for about $100k less.

Good luck in your search.
2016 Expedition 38K
bobder41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:19 PM   #24
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
Gotta love it. Face it these threads are often more interesting, way more interesting than "my ac won't work".
So here is MY OPINION :
Gas folks are convinced that they saved a ton of $, and it drives just like a dp.
The coach works for them, they love it and wouldn't trade it for a dp.
Diesel folks are convinced that they spent a little more $, it drives just like a dp, (well cause it is a dp), like the air ride suspension, towing capacity and power.
The coach works for them, they love it and wouldn't trade it for a gas.
So who's right? They all are.
So by now you have to wonder where do I fall in here?
DP all the way. That's what we wanted, that's what we bought.
I also don't feel the need to tell any gas owners they are wrong.
One of the best posts I've seen on this topic. Someone should repost this over in the tow vehicals section for the truck guys the same thing applies to most.
2016 Jayflight 32 BHDS Fiberglass sides. Golf cart
06' Chevy CC Dually 6.0. 20k hitch NO w/d bars. 16" wheels & LT TIRES
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:18 PM   #25
I think you need to decide how much money you have to spend without extending yourself. You have the initial purchase cost, which is higher for a diesel. I would budget about $1300 per year to maintain a diesel pusher (this includes replacing tires every 7 years). How much space do you need? What do you plan to tow? This may push you into a diesel pusher. With the miles you will be putting on it, a gas engine would probably serve you well.

I have a diesel and I love traveling in it but I had to go back many years to be able to afford one.

Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote

diesel, gas