Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2015, 04:38 PM   #1

Diesel verses Gas

I recently posted the thread " On the Hunt" and got a lot of great advise on what to consider when shopping for a motor home. I did receive one comment on "diesel verses gas" so I would like to poll those that have experienced both to see what their opinions are. Since I'm not retired, most of our trips will be for several days, not weeks, and be within 1000 miles of home.
Once again, I appreciate any information and thanks in advance!

Randy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2015, 05:04 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
These threads never go well !!

Old 08-17-2015, 05:11 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
These threads never go well !!
Amen to that!

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:22 PM   #4

diesel vs gas

I'm not even going to comment!
Old 08-17-2015, 05:30 PM   #5

I'm exhausted already...
Magic Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:39 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well I'll start it out. From the information you're giving about your trips I would go "gas". There that's my 2 cents. We put on about 4000 miles a year and love our gas chassis. To each there own though. Good luck and hope you find the coach that suits you best.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:48 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Go with whatever the DW likes. Color, floor plan and amenities are much more important than which pump you pull up to.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:15 PM   #8

You will get a very serviceable unit for a lot less money with gas. You will be able to go bigger with diesel if you want to pay for the privilege.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:28 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a gas mh and are glad we do, we're still working and like you can only go on weekends and vacations. Our RV is all we need for the type of use we put it to. Our goal is to get a diesel - maybe - if we decide to after retiring. We are going to try full-timing with our gas model for a year, if we like it and think we want to continue with a bigger RV we'll start looking at diesels, but if we decide to not full-time, we'll stick with our gas rig and enjoy short RV outings.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:46 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Gotta love it. Face it these threads are often more interesting, way more interesting than "my ac won't work".
So here is MY OPINION :
Gas folks are convinced that they saved a ton of $, and it drives just like a dp.
The coach works for them, they love it and wouldn't trade it for a dp.
Diesel folks are convinced that they spent a little more $, it drives just like a dp, (well cause it is a dp), like the air ride suspension, towing capacity and power.
The coach works for them, they love it and wouldn't trade it for a gas.
So who's right? They all are.
So by now you have to wonder where do I fall in here?
DP all the way. That's what we wanted, that's what we bought.
I also don't feel the need to tell any gas owners they are wrong.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:50 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
Gotta love it. Face it these threads are often more interesting, way more interesting than "my ac won't work".
So here is MY OPINION :
Gas folks are convinced that they saved a ton of $, and it drives just like a dp.
The coach works for them, they love it and wouldn't trade it for a dp.
Diesel folks are convinced that they spent a little more $, it drives just like a dp, (well cause it is a dp), like the air ride suspension, towing capacity and power.
The coach works for them, they love it and wouldn't trade it for a gas.
So who's right? They all are.
So by now you have to wonder where do I fall in here?
DP all the way. That's what we wanted, that's what we bought.
I also don't feel the need to tell any gas owners they are wrong.
Good answer.

We all buy what we like or want or can rationalize. All are correct for the purchaser.

When you are out sitting beside the campfire enjoying each others company it does not matter how you got there.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:54 PM   #12

We've had both. We do a lot of short trips in the summer and usually one of several weeks (we're on one now). The gasser was fine for the shorter trips and we did take 2 longish trip of a month plus in it and it got us there and home without issues.

We bumped up to a diesel primarily because of the way it handled and the comfort it offered. Our gasser was 28' with 19.5" tires and not a quality coach. It was a bear to keep on the road in cross winds, any deviation in the pavement sent us rocketing in one direction or another and semis just blew us sideways or so it seemed. Our DP is 35' and has 22.5" tires and a steering assist called Comfort Drive. It's way easier to drive in all conditions.

IMO, unless you're planning long trips and will be using the coach quite often, a gasser will be all you need now. From what I've read the newer gas coaches can be easier to handle but ours was an '11 so not sure if anything changed since then. I'd for sure look for a coach with 22.5" tires. They make a HUGE difference.

Good luck with your search!
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:07 PM   #13

Gas or diesel...

We have owned two large class A's, both gas (one Workhorse, one Ford). I have a lot of experience with diesel maintenance and repair and perform most of the routine maintenance on our coaches. When we purchased our present coach (a Suncruiser 38Q) we looked at the diesels, specifically the tag axle Meridian. Cost, although definitely a factor, was not the determining factor.

First we looked at floor plans, how livable the layout was. Next we made sure it had the things we did not have in previous coaches that we felt were important, such as AGS as we planned to frequent COE & National parks and wanted the coach to be able to 'take care of itself'; the stack washer & dryer were a must, along with large holding tanks; King bed, residential refer, etc, etc...

What we found was that you can have the same capabilities in either gas or diesel, and the gas coach saved us about $80k at purchase time. Now there is no doubt that the diesel with air bag suspension will ride better but a properly 'tuned' and loaded leaf spring suspension with perform just fine; after all we drive it to get somewhere, then park it and enjoy the area for a while. Hopefully the parked time is much greater than the driving time...

So then we looked at cost to operate... In Texas for most diesels you need a class B license. Texas also requires annual inspections, it is hard enough to get the gas coaches inspected, don't know where I would go to get something with air brakes inspected... Fuel is probably a wash, oil changes and other routine maintenance probably cheaper on the gas side; overall probably a draw...

About this time I saw a post on this site where someone was $30k into an engine repair on his diesel and still was not done... Like I said, I have some background in repairing diesels so I can appreciate the pain the gentleman was going through. Since we would be taking a hit in our future earnings when we retired I looked at what it might cost to repair or replace an engine or transmission and the gas coach won this comparison handily.

So for us the decision was easy and we bought what we thought was the best gas coach available at the time. So far it has worked out well for us; don't get me wrong, I would love to have a 400HP diesel with air suspension, but we are plenty comfortable in our gas coach.

Just my $0.02

Jeff
Old 08-17-2015, 07:07 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Diesel verses Gas discussions usually go nuclear...
So far this one hasn't. That's a good thing.

For your intended use, I would go with gas. Just be sure you buy a quality coach.

LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas