Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2011, 10:13 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw624
I'm currently in a Big Country 3450ts 38' pulling with a 07 dodge 4x4 with 5.9 Cum. We want to go to a MH. My question is what is the average monthly maintenance cost on a diesel vs. gas if you have it all done at a dealer. I do know that diesel is hands down the best as far weight, amenities, and pulling power goes but just haven't been able to figure out the costs. Any help making our decision easier will be appreciated. Thank You Dave
There will be a great deal of difference in room compared to your trailer. You may want to get something big to compensate for that, and that will
End up requiring a DP. You should figure $100 a month for maintenance and tires. In five year about $6000 saved will pay for an annual oil and filter, the other big filters and trans once every three years, and a set of tires. Fuel will be a push, because the better economy in a diesel is negated by the price difference in fuel.

Of course, like many other wise campers here have told you, drive both! My personal advice also, NEVER buy a new one. This site is loaded with stories of new lemons. Most of the time, if you find a DP OVER 5 years old it will be great bargain and a reliable unit. The key in all of this is the maintenance by the previous owner.

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2011, 12:53 AM   #16

Can someone explain DEF to me?

Old 12-29-2011, 10:55 AM   #17

Daveeb1--is fuel really a push? I'm from northern MN. Diesel has been running as much as $.80 to $1.00 more/gallon for the past 6 months. Then you add the DEF it makes me wonder if all the power, better ride, and so on is it worth the value when as one poster pointed out your rig sits more then you drive it. Has anyone done the actual math. If not I guess I'll will just didn't want a headache from spinning gears in my head.

Thanks for all the great comments (now the wife is really on me
Old 12-29-2011, 11:17 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Around here, (Cleveland area), gas is about $3.25 diesel about $3.95 that's about 22-25% cost difference. If you have a 38 ft gas vs a 38 ft diesel,
The gas will range from 5.5 - 8 mpg( depending on who you talk to. Diesel will go 8 - 10(depending on who you talk to). That about a 30% spread.

Now, you are going to have all the arguments about these figures from people who are defending their choices. Real world mileage falls in the ranges I have listed. All it comes down to, is the ride, noise level, power. I've done the math, overall maintenance costs are about $50-$75 more per month for the diesel.
You just have to ask yourself, is it worth it to you.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:17 AM   #19

Maintenance cost same, MPG same(depending on size, we got 8 mpg with 35' gas and 8mpg with 42' diesel), cost fuel diesel higher. With over 50,000 miles with gas and 60,000 with diesel-biggest difference was heavier load with diesel and the ME(mid-engine) which drives like a dream.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beabop View Post
It's about $300 a year for 2 years and year 3 when all the big filters and air dryer etc need changed about $1000. DH doesn't do own work. Everything costs more including tires. Next year after we do west coast again, we are probably going back to gas as we are older and won't be putting hi milage on again. Ride is much better and DH doesn't mind doing 4-5 hundred miles a day as fatigue is less. When we got our MH diesel was cheaper than gas but with our luck that soon changed. lol
This is very close to maintenance cost for a non do it yourselfer. I have my oil changed yearly/15,000miles and all the major (big) filters changed every 3 years. Having had both a gasser and diesel pusher, the ride of a DP is outstanding. There is no side to side blowby as trucks pass and try to push you toward the shoulder. I added all kinds of steering enhancements and new shocks to eliminate the semi truck "push" but never could. The DP drives like a car and easily passes trucks at 60mph going up a 6-7 degree grade. The true test is to drive both and determine for yourself which has the best ride and handling. Remember a DP is going to weight 30,000+ pounds campared to a gasser that will weight 20,000 pounds. There is no right answer for gas versue diesel comparison, it really boils down to cost and what the individual really likes in the motorhome.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:51 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have had both and although the pusher has some advantages the cost of maintenance and heaven forbid a breakdown is horrible and I have had both. Finding a Freightliner facility is difficult and your problems are put on the back burner as the truckers take priority. The ride on my pusher is nothing special so I give it an equal. Next time I go back to gas.

Don
Old 12-29-2011, 01:39 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajudge View Post
I would like to know how someone can say a DP has a smoother ride than a gas rig. I went from a 04 diesel pusher on freightliner chassis to a 06 gas workhorse chassis and there is no comparison. The DP rode like a truck and the o6 gasser rides like a dream. I wouldn't go back to a diesel for anything. I use the money I saved by buying the workhorse gas to go on more trips.
It appears that your DP was not set up right. Probably wrong tires and/or wrong air pressure, bad airbags, etc.

If you are a fulltimer and spend ANYTIME in the mountains in the west, a DP is the only way to go. The exhaust break is one great reason for having a DP when coming down mountain passes.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
It appears that your DP was not set up right. Probably wrong tires and/or wrong air pressure, bad airbags, etc.

If you are a fulltimer and spend ANYTIME in the mountains in the west, a DP is the only way to go. The exhaust break is one great reason for having a DP when coming down mountain passes.

Barb
I have to agree with you something must have been wrong with his DP I have owned both gas and diesel and you can't even compare the gas with the diesel hands dawn diesel over gas.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #24

Thanks for all the great comments. We are looking at an 08 40'Monaco Diplomat with a little over 6K on it. 400 Cummings. Any comments on that unit would also be appreciated! Dave
Old 12-30-2011, 07:33 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Having read all the posts, and having read so many posts in most of these threads, on all the subjects.....

I will say.....don't worry about it, because you, like just about every RVer out there, will own 2,3, or 4 MHs before you settle down and keep one for a long time. And by then, who knows, you may get tired of it all and buy a S&B house.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw624
Thanks for all the great comments. We are looking at an 08 40'Monaco Diplomat with a little over 6K on it. 400 Cummings. Any comments on that unit would also be appreciated! Dave
6K isn't much on a 4-5 year old coach. Diesels like to run. Can you get maintenance records to show YEARLY maintenance was done? Belts and hoses wear out when not used. Tires need to run to keep plasticizers moving throughout the tire. Generators need to be run, etc.

Barb

Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas