Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #1

Diesel vs. Gas

I'm currently in a Big Country 3450ts 38' pulling with a 07 dodge 4x4 with 5.9 Cum. We want to go to a MH. My question is what is the average monthly maintenance cost on a diesel vs. gas if you have it all done at a dealer. I do know that diesel is hands down the best as far weight, amenities, and pulling power goes but just haven't been able to figure out the costs. Any help making our decision easier will be appreciated. Thank You Dave

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2011, 12:53 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
U here a lot of people talking about maintenance cost with a dp, and I'm just not sure why.

Yes, they hold a lot of oil. Here in the frozen north, I will change oil every spring. Compared to a gasser it will be an expensive oil change. But it will cost less. Than a hundred dollars, and that's not expensive. If I was wintering down south, I would do the oil analysis thing, and stretch to the factory 15k change interval, likely 3 years...

I'll do my own chassis lubes and genny service annually.

Trans service, air filter, and other stuff is only every several years.

I think cost of regular maintnenance for either a gas or a deisel rig depends more on the owners ability and willingness to do their own.
Everyone knows all rv drivers pulling up to a shop have nuttin but dollar signs taped to their foreheads.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:31 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Sure the diesel is more, a lot more. But, IMHO, it's worth every cent...power, quiet, durability, better mpg, more relaxing drive and an overall better driving experience.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hello Dave and welcome to iRV2. I think a question to ask is how much do you plan on driving a year? Are going to be living in it fulltime ?

For us we knew that we have traveled around the 5,000 mile mark in the past when we owned our Ford pick up and trailer. So for the couple of weeks a year that we can travel owning a gas motorhome is not bad at all. Sure if we were traveling months out of the year and traveling lets say 10,000 + miles a diesel sure would be more comfortable.

Best of luck with your decision and make sure to drive both.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #5

Dido on what cat320 said. I've owned both, now a DP to me it's worth it to others you will here it's not. Mine gets oil changed annually with fuel filters. A small price for the purchase expense of a DP. The main difference is a few more gallons of oil and fuel filters.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:51 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Depends on how you will operate the rig, and are you capable of doing the routine maintenance yourself.

We put less then 6K miles on the unit over the year. We would have to spend a lot more for routine maintenance if the unit was diesel.

I will never wear out the engine and tranny.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dave, why are you running a diesel now? The same applies to a motorhome.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:17 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My guess would be because a gas engine offered in a pickup truck can not pull that kind of combined weight?
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
dw624,

I won't say one is better than the other, but you should really spend just a few hours looking at all the posts having to with problems/maint. Don't look Diesel vs. Gas...just go through the technical issues through the forums. You'll see, and then be able to make up your mind. Happy hunting!!
Old 12-28-2011, 07:50 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We prefer a diesel for the much nicer ride, quieter and the extra amenities they have. I do all my own work and really don't find the cost to be much different if you follow the factory schedule due to the longer periods between maintenance. Now, if I had to pay for the maintenance it might be different.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
It's about $300 a year for 2 years and year 3 when all the big filters and air dryer etc need changed about $1000. DH doesn't do own work. Everything costs more including tires. Next year after we do west coast again, we are probably going back to gas as we are older and won't be putting hi milage on again. Ride is much better and DH doesn't mind doing 4-5 hundred miles a day as fatigue is less. When we got our MH diesel was cheaper than gas but with our luck that soon changed. lol
Old 12-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would like to know how someone can say a DP has a smoother ride than a gas rig. I went from a 04 diesel pusher on freightliner chassis to a 06 gas workhorse chassis and there is no comparison. The DP rode like a truck and the o6 gasser rides like a dream. I wouldn't go back to a diesel for anything. I use the money I saved by buying the workhorse gas to go on more trips.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You are going to get as many opinions as you have forum folks, asking the DP vs Gas question. But, just to add to the noise...NEW diesel pollution standards are going to add a considerable higher initial cost for NEW DP. I have heard this will add upwards to an additional $10000 to the price for DP. Not to mention the maintenance for this New devise. Is not government greening fun?

PS...welcome to the forum!
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:06 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
You're right , the new deisels have the urea tank.

Tags
diesel, gas