Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by malexander View Post
I need some input from the experts.

I've owned 2 5th wheels (1996-1997), a Class C motorhome (1997-2007), and currently on my 3rd 5th wheel, I bought it new in 2007. I'm ready to go back to a motorhome.

I've decided I want to see how I'd like a class A. I have no problems with the bigger vehicles. Currently, I drive a charter bus part time, so I have no issues with a 45' bus, or air brakes.

My thoughts are to buy a used, relatively inexpensive, class A, and use it for a couple of years to see if I/we like it. We will probably only use it 4 or 5 weeks of the year. My kids (2 daughters) are grown, but MAY occasionally go with us. I'm self employed full time and not retired yet.
A new motorhome is in the plan & I need to decide on a class c or a.

My big question here is, do I want diesel or gas?

I'm very familiar with both engines. I run both in my plumbing & electric service trucks, digging equipment, & personal vehicles, etc.
Just my opinion, but as I read your requirements "4 or 5 weeks a year" and "relatively inexpensive," I'm going to say that a gasser is your best bet. We bought a new gasser (our first and only RV) and have not had a single regret. As for your question about whether you WANT diesel or gas, only you can answer that one. Have fun shopping.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #16

Our choice was an older, better quality diesel pusher that was mechanically sound. There are so many great deals on older diesel pushers it didn't make sense to us to settle for gas. We like the idea of updating the old house items with new items of our own selection and choosing at our leisure and as we go along, making it reflect our tastes. So far we've replaced recliner, countertops, faucets, washer/dryer, window treatments and carpeting. The chassis and running gear items are all in great condition and we have a maintenance schedule to keep them that way.

The ride quality of a diesel pusher is far better than what we experienced in driving gas and we like the torque, heavier chassis and air brakes. The difference in cost really was not a consideration as we should get that back if we ever sell. The diesel will always bring more than a gas unit especially in older rigs that are pretty much well depreciated
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #17

"My thoughts are to buy a used, relatively inexpensive, class A, and use it for a couple of years to see if I/we like it. We will probably only use it 4 or 5 weeks of the year."

That's my use case, 4-5 weeks a year. See what I bought used in my tag line for 33% of MSRP when new. I then added about $2.5K to bring all maintenance to perfect and replace the TV's with flat screens (40 in front, 37 outside and 24 in bedroom) (I do the labor myself). Unit is like new due to the absolute difference in quality of materials that went into it new. Many people assume the rig is new or under 2 years old.

I could not have bought a class C new for what I paid. If I spent 2X I could have bought a much lesser rig new... A new version of my rig is likely $350K.

I think the only noticeable "age" in my coach is that the cabinets are Maple and the light fixtures are fluorescent. Well, I will take solid Maple over the dark walnut veneer you get in a $200K coach these days any time.

In addition to the other pro-diesel comments above, I will add that a high end DP typically has a lot more basement storage including the ability to have pass thru.

If I were in your shoes, and assume your pickup truck is comfortable and has adequate power, I would either buy a high end used DP class A or stay with what you have. IMHO a gas A isn't a step up and introduces limitations you may not already have (and in defense of a Gas class A, one of the limitations applies to both, the need for a TOAD)

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #18

Wow!! I've never heard that a Gas Class A is not a step up from a 5er. Having had both personally I'd disagree. Ever drive 2000 miles in a pickup with three kids???

Frankly by your comments I'm surprised they even include gassers in the A class.

Feelin' a little high and mighty today?
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #19

To answer the OP. I'd be looking at gas. Yes you can repair either but not to the same extent with a DP. Some engine stuff you just cant do without diagnostic and programming tools not available to the masses. Give me an old gasser and I can guarantee anything that dies I can replace or buy on the open market myself.

A diesel is cooler to tool around in but will cost much more if/when something breaks.
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some of us are VERY happy with our "second class" gas units.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Richard View Post
Wow!! I've never heard that a Gas Class A is not a step up from a 5er. Having had both personally I'd disagree. Ever drive 2000 miles in a pickup with three kids???

Frankly by your comments I'm surprised they even include gassers in the A class.

Feelin' a little high and mighty today?

Was trying to state that if the OP has a 3/4ton PU with a big powerplant (I see most 5ers towed with Duramax or Cummins 3/4 or 1 ton rigs) that he would have less power with more noise. He would also lose having a "car" at his destination (same with any class A). One great thing about having a TT or 5er is that you CAN disconnect and have a smaller car at your destination so be sure to factor that in.

I have driven in a quad cab for thousands of miles with kids, good point!!! ;-)

That said, like a-holes I have an opinion like everyone else. BUT, not knowing the tow rig I will make some assumptions below.... (yes, a$$...haha)

That 5er is nice. It is being pulled by a quad cab Ram 2500 with a cummins. It is quiet and comfortable and can tow that 5er up any grade at 65MPH no problem. That nice truck also doubles as a way to get around that small beach town I am now vacationing in.

The delta from that hypothetical case above to a used Class A MAY not be that significant given the losses of resale and purchase. My point, is that if you are going to eat the losses of resale of the 5er, and choose a new bigger better platform then go big.

Now I am sorry but you interrupted my brunch. I will now resume eating my lobster thermador and caviar.

Chris
Old 08-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
Some of us are VERY happy with our "second class" gas units.
And happy to add that we did not "SETTLE"; we chose exactly what we wanted.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Love how words get added to what I said. Let me repost it for those who missed it the first time.
Quote:
I get buying a 2 or 3 year old rig and using it for 2 or 3 years yourself, that logic works.
No where did I say it was best to buy new. So please disregard these gems of wisdom.
Quote:
It's good to know there are still people who need to buy everything new!!
Quote:
we respect purchasers who buy new....and our economy needs it.
Now rlott2k on the other hand, actually read what I said and posted some sound advice.
Quote:
Actually he said "newer" . To me that means near new. I would buy a 1-2 year old unit. 1st couple of years are the hardest on depreciation and 1st owner can fix all the factory flaws.Perhaps they'll even grow weary/frustrated and sell below value.
In my particular case I did buy new, shopped around for used, but the used ones were selling at almost same price as new, so for a difference of $5K I choose new. But the best price point to me is the 1-3 year old rigs, still basically new, not beat up too bad, and have all the newer modern features inside. You can find some steals in this range.

Good luck!
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
And happy to add that we did not "SETTLE"; we chose exactly what we wanted.
I have a different perspective on life I guess. I always want the best and settle for less. Every purchase in my life has been a compromise. I am a techie/nerd/engineer. With that comes a curiosity and desire to know what is state of the art and what is the top of the line. I like sports cars for example. I would LOVE to drive a Bugatti Veyron for example. Why? It is one of the damned coolest things out there. An example of what nearly unlimited resources can create. I know I will likely never own that car (or the $2M RV's I see on those extreme RV shows) but would I want one? HECK YES I WOULD!!!!!

I covet thy neighbors super nice RV. I guess I am flawed. It does motivate me however.

Oh, and for the record, I absolutely had to "SETTLE" for my RV, no doubt about it!!!!! I didn't choose exactly what I wanted, I chose what made sense for me. See, settling for what you have isn't a negative in my eyes. It is what made sense for you given the realities of life (typically resources). I settled on a used DP. Couldn't justify new for what I wanted in my coach.

If you say that the RV that you own and love Sarah is the absolute pinnacle of your desires, nothing else would have been better, then so be it. You did not settle at all.

Chris
Old 08-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
I have a different perspective on life I guess. I always want the best and settle for less. Every purchase in my life has been a compromise. I am a techie/nerd/engineer. With that comes a curiosity and desire to know what is state of the art and what is the top of the line. I like sports cars for example. I would LOVE to drive a Bugatti Veyron for example. Why? It is one of the damned coolest things out there. An example of what nearly unlimited resources can create. I know I will likely never own that car (or the $2M RV's I see on those extreme RV shows) but would I want one? HECK YES I WOULD!!!!!

I covet thy neighbors super nice RV. I guess I am flawed. It does motivate me however.

Oh, and for the record, I absolutely had to "SETTLE" for my RV, no doubt it!!!!! I didn't choose exactly what I wanted, I chose what made sense for me. See, settling for what you have isn't a negative in my eyes. It is what made sense for you given the realities of life (typically resources). I settled on a used DP. Couldn't justify new for what I wanted in my coach.

If you say that the RV that you own and love Sarah is the absolute pinnacle of your desires, nothing else would have been better, then so be it. You did not settle at all.

Chris
Exactly right... I did not settle. For the record, I never said anything about the "pinnacle of my desires" because as far as I'm concerned that has nothing to do with any RV.

So yeah. I don't make myself unhappy thinking that I missed out on anything, because I didn't. I also don't make disparaging remarks about other people's choices.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #26

[QUOTE=DegoRed;1698035
In my particular case I did buy new, shopped around for used, but the used ones were selling at almost same price as new, so for a difference of $5K I choose new. But the best price point to me is the 1-3 year old rigs, still basically new, not beat up too bad, and have all the newer modern features inside. You can find some steals in this range.

Good luck![/QUOTE]

DegoRed raises a great point when buying "barely" used. Someone who purchased new at near MSRP and thinks they can sell it at 30% off after a year or two is going to have a hard time making that happen. It's hard to recover from overpaying and some private party sellers struggle with that (or perhaps HAVING to get what they owe). When buying used from a dealer you have to think in terms of the discounted price of new. When buying used from private party you have to find someone that can disconnect themselves from what they paid and what they owe and sell it for what it is actually worth. I saw many private party listings that were pipe dreams. There are deals out there, but if looking for a 1-3 year old coach you owe it to yourself to determine the best price you can get on new and then decide.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #27

Every bodies circumstances are different but I have to agree with DagoRed on this one. We were upgrading from a 7 year old gas Class A and had several things we wanted in our new to us coach. I wanted a diesel and planned on trading for a 5 year old or newer DP but after looking for about 8 months we decided a new gas Class A was best for us. We still work and are not ready to hit the road long term or our decision might have been different. We travel close by and spend most of our time camping not driving and that negated a lot of the DP advantages. My decision came down to a new 36 ft gas or a 2011 40 ft DP. The 2011 interior looked dated compared to the 2014 gas, DW liked the floor plan in the gasser better, and the gas was purchased about 60% of the used DP. That's a lot of play money for a slower rougher ride. That being said, my next one will probably be a DP. There is no right answer, just what is right for you. As a rule of thumb, get the one the wife likes regardless of what's under the hood!
Old 08-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
If i was going to buy or own any vehicle that is going to sit except for 45 weeks a year and a occasional weekend, (which is what I bought and the way I use mine)I'd definitely be looking for a diesel with air brakes. And Not just any diesel but one that is older.
If the vehicle is built in Quality way it will show, or should I say the wear & Tear won't show.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas