Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #29

In short gas =$ and diesel = $$
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #30

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Get the newest and biggest gasser you can afford.
Campbell5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #31

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
Love how words get added to what I said. Let me repost it for those who missed it the first time.

No where did I say it was best to buy new. So please disregard these gems of wisdom.

Now rlott2k on the other hand, actually read what I said and posted some sound advice.

In my particular case I did buy new, shopped around for used, but the used ones were selling at almost same price as new, so for a difference of $5K I choose new. But the best price point to me is the 1-3 year old rigs, still basically new, not beat up too bad, and have all the newer modern features inside. You can find some steals in this range.

Good luck!
A few months ago we were looking at a new 2012 DSDP, pretty well loaded, dealer wanted $247,999. Wife refused the deal (now wishes she hadn't). About $130,000 off sticker due to it's being almost 2 model years old.
Now I see a 2010 DSDP not as well loaded for 229,000 or so. Unless I got the owners of the 2010 down some more it wouldn't be worth it over the new one. In fact the 229,000 would have been about what they paid.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #32

diesel vs gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by malexander View Post
I need some input from the experts.

I've owned 2 5th wheels (1996-1997), a Class C motorhome (1997-2007), and currently on my 3rd 5th wheel, I bought it new in 2007. I'm ready to go back to a motorhome.

I've decided I want to see how I'd like a class A. I have no problems with the bigger vehicles. Currently, I drive a charter bus part time, so I have no issues with a 45' bus, or air brakes.

My thoughts are to buy a used, relatively inexpensive, class A, and use it for a couple of years to see if I/we like it. We will probably only use it 4 or 5 weeks of the year. My kids (2 daughters) are grown, but MAY occasionally go with us. I'm self employed full time and not retired yet.
A new motorhome is in the plan & I need to decide on a class c or a.

My big question here is, do I want diesel or gas?
I'm very familiar with both engines. I run both in my plumbing & electric service trucks,

digging equipment, & personal vehicles, etc.
Since you've driven diesel engines vehicles before you basically know how they both drive, ride and etc. I would rather drive diesel pusher , the sound, the ride is so much better. Since you are going to drive4 or 5 weeks ayear ask yourself, do you want to pays taxes on a second home. Here in South Carolina they consider my class A a second home and pay 6.5 percent tax on it . I paid over 1400.00 a year for it sit in my yard most of the time. Then there is the insurance and license plate. I believe for what you want to do like some one said it already maybe you should rent one. When I bought mine the fuel was below $1.00 per gal. The diesel will out last the gas by far as you know. I know I didn't give you much but I hope it was a little help.
Donald"Dr.Don"Watkins
MSgt USAF Ret
donwat91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #33

Financially, you can't beat camping with a tent, from there it's all comfort vs. finances.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #34

Aaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh. This point has been re-hashed (and will be I am sure) so many times. On the other hand, this one has gotten to a point where I need to put in my nickel

This decision is such a personal one, and depends on things like financial capability, frequency of use, need for quality of ride (rough versus smooth), pulling power, need for space, etc, etc, etc (and the relative importance of each of the issues).

What I can chip in here is what led to our own decision. Basic criteria were that we have one child left at home that we wanted to build memories with. Second is that we are (all of us) interested in visiting the National Parks (and related opportunities) - which means long-haul trips. After the last child is out of the house, we wanted something that would allow us (the two of us) to continue that exploration. Also, my wife, and the remaining child, are both susceptible to Migraines triggered by noise, light, and the like (like rough bouncy rides). Ok ... maybe having only rented a Class C several years ago for 2 weeks clearly made us Newbees at the time, but having nursed one child through a migraine while he slept an ENTIRE day from the Grand Tetons through to Salt Lake City while he slept off his headache, made it clear that a Class C was out of the equation, and a Class A Gasser was questionable (because of the ride qualities) ... it quickly became clear that we needed to look closely at a DP. Also, we were clearly interested in a unit that would allow a washer/dryer to be installed. Because we were (and still are!) interested in the State Parks (Minnesota has many Beautiful ones!) as well as the National Parks ALL of this added up into looking into the small side of the DP's. That is why we settled on the Expedition 36M (now apparently the Discovery 36M). Ok ... I listen to the folks touting the benefits of a Tag Axel ... and I admit I am intrigued (and would not be surprised if in several years I am reporting that we have gone that route), BUT, for now, our unit drives incredibly well (I barely notice when an 18-wheeler pulls past us), we have (barely) enough room for all of us (son #2 is quickly pushing past 6'), we are able to get into some pretty tight spaces (actually had the group next to us over Memorial Day applaud when I backed the thing in to our camp space ), and can make the long-haul trips that the thing was intended for in the long run.

Though I still think the sales-person was "doubtful" when I walked in to the dealership and basically pronounced that I have never owned an RV, but wanted to buy a Class A DP ... after two seasons of traveling, I believe that I, and my family, believe that we made the right choice for us. (gotta love the DP ride!).

On the other hand, I met a couple at Oshkosh two years ago (2011), he a career mechanic, with a GASSER Class A (Thank you so much for the tour! ) who felt he was ok with the ride after adjusting the shocks and other suspension issues.

To each his own ... but for now, that is my story and the approach and conclusions may, or may not, apply to the OP
Old 08-23-2013, 10:56 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
In short gas =$ and diesel = $$
In short.......Gas = power and Diesel = P O W E R
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #36

I love threads like this that are regurgitated every so often with pretty much the same outcome.

What amuses me most of all is how much emphasis everyone puts on the way the RV drives - as if RVing is all about the journey and not about the destination!

If it were me, I'd find the nicest one that I could that was the most practical and comfortable to live in and then I might "lift the hood" to see what engine it had.
steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveclv View Post
What amuses me most of all is how much emphasis everyone puts on the way the RV drives - as if RVing is all about the journey and not about the destination!

It's really true that many seem to go on and on about the ride and handling of a DP... and rightfully so! But, at the end of the day/week/season/trip... how many hours were spent behind the wheel vs being set up in camp?

It's a hefty price to pay when it's looked at on a $/hr driving basis.

That's why I contend that the best reason to buy a DP is because you WANT one.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post

It's really true that many seem to go on and on about the ride and handling of a DP... and rightfully so! But, at the end of the day/week/season/trip... how many hours were spent behind the wheel vs being set up in camp?

It's a hefty price to pay when it's looked at on a $/hr driving basis.

That's why I contend that the best reason to buy a DP is because you WANT one.

Rick
Absolutely! In the course of 12 months we went from a Jayco grey hawk class c (one trip too small) to a Forest River Georgetown XL 37 feet gasser for five trips to 2014 Entegra Aspire 43 foot diesel. It came down to what we wanted and could handle. Happily my wife pout up with my lunacy but also loves the room and the ride.
The ability to have washer/dryer, better air cond, more slides and luxurious seats while traveling.
For me if I only live once, make mine a diesel pusher.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Alan JS - WoW - and

If I had your gap money I think our Bounder DP would be on the chopping block and we'd upgrade to your current model as well!
Just WoW!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Alan JS - WoW - and

If I had your gap money I think our Bounder DP would be on the chopping block and we'd upgrade to your current model as well!
Just WoW!
I retired being disabled and get to travel about a week every five weeks or so. We didn't lose that much on trade ins. Wish I had bought the last MH first as they say. Wish I was smarter upfront and read more. Not bragging since it was less than clever .
Every time we went to a resort we looked at what everyone else was driving and asked for advice. My DW has threatened to leave me if I pull any other trades.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #41

Well folks, thank you all so much for the input. This is exactly what I was looking for. A lot of the things you all pointed out, I've actually already thought about. Some of them, I haven't.

Now, a little more about me. I currently have a 2007 GMC 2500HD gas that I pull the 5th wheel with. Had I known in June of 2007 that I was going to trade the Jayco class c in on the 5er in September, I'd have bought a diesel.
As far as finances go. I haven't really set a budget. I know what I can afford and what I don't want to afford. I say this with a sort of a grin. If I find something I like, I'll see if it's affordable to me. I'm 54 years old and don't plan to spend the rest of my life in debt.

I don't remember how many I said would be going with us, but for the next 2-about 10 years, it's mostly going to be just my wife & me, we don't even have any pets. So pretty much just the 2 of us.

So now the search is on. Just got to see what I can find the best deal on.
malexander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas