Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2006, 08:43 AM   #1
JF

I am shopping for an used class A, i will run for about 10K miles a year. Witch is the best buy for me, 1995 diesel pusher or, 1999 gas coach with 70K miles on it ?
JF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2006, 08:43 AM   #2
JF

I am shopping for an used class A, i will run for about 10K miles a year. Witch is the best buy for me, 1995 diesel pusher or, 1999 gas coach with 70K miles on it ?
Old 03-01-2006, 09:22 AM   #3

JF,

Obviously there are a number of variables, size of MH, size of engines, were they properly maintained, have they been sitting, price, how long you plan to keep it, where you will be driving, will you be towing, etc.

ONLY looking at the diesel vs gas, if both were properly maintained, not considering any of the other numerous factors you should look at, with that number of miles annually, I would say the diesel.

Generally speaking a diesel if maintained correctly, will far outlast the gas engine. That is only one of many things to consider, and I'm sure others will give their input as well.

Good luck in your search.

Take care.

2004 Newmar Kountry Star 3560
RobAndTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:29 AM   #4

I would go further, if a diesel is properly maintained it will out last the coach.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:10 AM   #5
JF

Thank's for answering so rapidly, in fact I'm from Canada and I'm looking on ebay for my first coach between 30 and 35 feet. I'm proposing to keep the coach for app. 10 years and propably will tow somehow when I'll be retired in six years. I would like to go to Florida in winter when I'll be retired whit a car tow. I suppose that a diesel pusher is more pleasant to drive due to is widder frame am I whrite ? Considering the fact that you're loosing money each time you sale/buy action I would like to buy the good one at first. I'm planning to put about $ 40K. Every thing that a neophite like me should know will be very appreciate.
Thank you
Old 03-01-2006, 10:29 AM   #6

The best advice I could give you would be to spend alot of time on this and other forums,
take your time, check out any prospective purchases VERY thouroughly, including maintenance records, and do the best you can to get the most you can for the money you spend.

If you find a possible MH don't hesitate to ask in the forums about it's make, model, equipment, etc. from those that may have prior experience with that make, model, manufacturer support, etc.

This may sound vague but the question is kind of open ended. Once you narrow down your choices and you can be more specific on your needs and wants, I'm sure you will get alot of input (both good and bad experiences and opinions)from this and other sources.

Take care.

Old 03-01-2006, 10:32 AM   #7

JF, my take is I could care less which fuel type; but, choose to have a diesel for several reasons: engine longevity; less maintenance; generally on air suspension which gives a smoother ride; engine in rear which eliminates dog house and minimizes noise; generally on larger frame with larger tires which again enhances ride; with air suspension probably also has air brakes which to me are more controllable. Note most of the elements that cause me to choose diesel over gas have to do with enhanced rideability, Ken Roberts, '04 DSDP...
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:34 AM   #8

A couple other places you might look for info:

http://www.rv.net/

http://www.rvusa.com/

http://www.rvlivin.com/

Hope this may help.

Old 03-01-2006, 11:07 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
JF, Welcome to IRV2.
As you can see alot of helpful people here to cover questions. I have a Workhorse W-22 I'am looking, wish more like it, for the new W-25.5. WH has come a long way since the first W-20, W-22's. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:49 AM   #10

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi JF,
We bought our coach "lightly used" through the Internet. We first located on Canada AutoTrader's Web Site. We did look at buying a coach state-side but it was going to be a real challenge to get it back into Canada and get it licensed. Check out Auto Importation on the Government of Canada website for all the details on what's necessary, if you haven't already done so.
Regarding your question about diesel vs gas, I'd recommend diesel for all the reasons that you have already been given but, in addition you'll find the air ride to incomparable, you'll have significantly better carrying capacity and the engine/exhaust brake is a great feature to have when negotiating down-grades. With the vintages that you are looking at the diesel will have a 6 speed Allison trans while the gasser won't.
Good luck with your decision making process and shopping.
Canuck

300HP Cat 3126E, 6Sp Allison
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:04 PM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
JF, for my money, I like gas. Cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, cheaper to fix, and just as much HP. Diesels might have a few advantages but I dont see them. The GM 8.1 is a **** of an engine, built for 180K with proper maintenance, and the Allison trans is bullet proof, a big advance in MH power train technology. Do your arithmatic and let me know what you think.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 03:42 PM   #12
JF

I appreciate all you're information, but remember I'm only planning to pay arround $40K for that toy. Canuck, someone told me that they give you a transit license when you buy an american coach so you just have to plate it on return to Canada and yes, I am checking on auto import Canada thanks. My wondering is the taxe, do you think that I can told that I pay the coach lower at the US license bureau ? And if I pay the taxe on the state I hope I don't have to pay it again on this side of the border. I'm asking all of this questions to.
Thanks for all
Old 03-01-2006, 05:34 PM   #13

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
JF,
When I enquired about the taxes due at entry to Canada I was told that I would pay the GST on the converted value of the sale price plus the provincial tax on that same amount.
I don't have first hand experience moving a vehicle from US to Canada. I bought my coach in Ontario and drove it back to Manitoba using a transit permit issued in Ontario. I also purchased transit insurance from my local insurer. Again, in my case, the transit insurance had a very short term to it, 5 days.
Canuck

300HP Cat 3126E, 6Sp Allison
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:16 AM   #14

Canuck, Make sure the coach you purchase in the U.S. is on the admissable Canada Customs list. I'm also live in Canada, Ontario to be specific. Good luck.