Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2016, 08:18 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
There is a well documented acceptance problem with diesels in America, not just RV's but autos as well.

That said I recommend you forget about what fuel goes in it and decide what kind of features you want in a MH.

Towing more than 5k lbs.
Aqua Hot
40+ feet length
Air Leveling
Tag axle
3 AC
Raised rail Chassis for pass through Storage
Air Brakes
Engine Brake/Jake Brake
Generator up front
Engine in the rear
More than 3k carry capacity (your stuff)

If you want any of these you will have to look at diesel MH's. If none of these are on your list then a gas MH will likely suit you. There are ride and handling differences, too, but they are more personal preference. You should really drive them all. Keep firmly in mind that there is a vast difference between the entry level diesel and upper end diesel. Generally speaking, except for entry level, diesels cost more because you get more.

Enjoy the search!

Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2016, 08:30 AM   #16

We are going full time next fall, we well be in a 36 ft gas.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:32 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhenshaw4 View Post
We first had a gas coach with a 8.1L engine, then we bought our Dutch Star DP. If you drive both, you will buy the diesel, I promise you that. Air brakes, air ride, exhaust brake, 100 times more power, etc....
Ditto. Long term, the diesel will pay for itself several times over in pleasure.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:44 AM   #18

Most of these issues as to why diesels are better have been gone over so many times already . Many of these are more personal opinion. Some are true , but not an issue for everyone . Such as the noise .
Is a front engine gas rig louder in the driving area than a DP? Yes. Does it bother me ? No is it differance enough to justify the cost or seal the deal ? Not at all.
You have to decide what's important to you.
Maintenance costs are basically a wash. Repair costs are higher with diesel. Fuel costs are a wash.
Diesel wins for me in more cargo capacity & more pulling power . There are other advantages to that don't really concern me .
We will be using a gas unit based on cost , we well be just fine .
Old 06-11-2016, 08:57 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I'd always pick diesel because they are made to work long hours without harming them, you can run 24 hours.idle without sweating it. I've set for hours at 100 degree + temps ac running nice and cool while others overheated ... To each his own though..... I have trucks tractors and backhoes that are all diesel ... they all work hard and I count on them to..
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:06 AM   #20

That's awesome . If it were in my budget is surely consider diesel , they have done perks .
But I have no plans to sit for hours o. 100+ degree heat, if I ever need to o can run the genny & the roof top air.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:12 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I was setting in traffic for almost 8 hours 100 + ....
Safe-T-Plus
Old 06-11-2016, 09:17 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, fuel costs are a wash. THat's why you see so many gas powered semis out on the road. Yup, some of those 80,000+ gvw rigs are gas, some are diesel, because costs are basically a wash. And the big Greyhound busses, some gas, some diesel, all a wash.

NOT!! If you move alot of weight alot of miles, you have only one option.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:25 AM   #23

Most of us don't put 10000 miles a year let alone 80-100, 000 miles, so for most of us any savings in fuel costs is minimal. When diesel prices were lower it made more of a difference.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:34 AM   #24

Not exactly sure what you mean about "run 24 hours idle". Newer Diesels with DEF and DPF are not made to idle continuously.You'll clog up your particulate filter.

As far as the original poster's question goes, as I think others have said if your are looking at 40' or bigger and or towing large trailers or cars I think diesel vs gas is pretty much an emotional argument. I think cost wise gas wins all the time on smaller coaches. I had a 35' Excursion DP and if I could do it again I'd have gone gas with a Bounder or something similar and pocketed the savings. However, I now have a 40' Discovery DP and love it.

Personally the argument about "doing my own work" doesn't work into the equation for me. I don't have a parking spot at my house to do any work on a big rig gas or diesel. If I did, I might get the tools to allow me to jack up and remove the wheels and do oil changes etc. But what other work on the engine/chassis can your basic shade tree mechanic do? I doubt I could pull the tranny or engine on a gas or diesel. Either would go to a shop, and both would be expensive. Unless you've got a lemon (gas or diesel), most service will be preventative maintenance. Oil changes and chassis lubes on a DP are like $600 for the engine and generator (at least that's what the local Freightliner shop quoted me). I'd imagine that's double what a gas Class A would be.

Fuel cost. DPs tend to get better gas milage than gas coaches. My Excursion with a Cummins 5.9 ISB got around 10 MGP while my Discovery gets around 8 MPG with its 8.9 ISL. I think large gas coaches get around 6 to 7 MPG from what I've heard. But you have to balance that against the cost of gas (currently in the $2.20/gal here in orlando) and Diesel (around $2.40 or so). A couple of years ago when gas was in the $3/gal range diesel was close to $5/gal. So I think generally diesel loses there.

All that said, in my 2 years of experience with diesels I'd stick with a diesel except maybe on a smaller coach. Of course, I have not had a $20K repair bill yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Miller View Post
I'd always pick diesel because they are made to work long hours without harming them, you can run 24 hours.idle without sweating it. I've set for hours at 100 degree + temps ac running nice and cool while others overheated ... To each his own though..... I have trucks tractors and backhoes that are all diesel ... they all work hard and I count on them to..
Old 06-11-2016, 09:40 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Not exactly sure what you mean about "run 24 hours idle". Newer Diesels with DEF and DPF are not made to idle continuously.You'll clog up your particulate filter.

As far as the original poster's question goes, as I think others have said if your are looking at 40' or bigger and or towing large trailers or cars I think diesel vs gas is pretty much an emotional argument. I think cost wise gas wins all the time on smaller coaches. I had a 35' Excursion DP and if I could do it again I'd have gone gas with a Bounder or something similar and pocketed the savings. However, I now have a 40' Discovery DP and love it.

Personally the argument about "doing my own work" doesn't work into the equation for me. I don't have a parking spot at my house to do any work on a big rig gas or diesel. If I did, I might get the tools to allow me to jack up and remove the wheels and do oil changes etc. But what other work on the engine/chassis can your basic shade tree mechanic do? I doubt I could pull the tranny or engine on a gas or diesel. Either would go to a shop, and both would be expensive. Unless you've got a lemon (gas or diesel), most service will be preventative maintenance. Oil changes and chassis lubes on a DP are like $600 for the engine and generator (at least that's what the local Freightliner shop quoted me). I'd imagine that's double what a gas Class A would be.

Fuel cost. DPs tend to get better gas milage than gas coaches. My Excursion with a Cummins 5.9 ISB got around 10 MGP while my Discovery gets around 8 MPG with its 8.9 ISL. I think large gas coaches get around 6 to 7 MPG from what I've heard. But you have to balance that against the cost of gas (currently in the $2.20/gal here in orlando) and Diesel (around $2.40 or so). A couple of years ago when gas was in the $3/gal range diesel was close to $5/gal. So I think generally diesel loses there.

All that said, in my 2 years of experience with diesels I'd stick with a diesel except maybe on a smaller coach. Of course, I have not had a $20K repair bill yet.

Well said . I totally agree . If you have a large 38 ft+ rig, & or plan to pull a heavy vehicle DP is the way to go . If you plan to drive in higher elevations a lot & want the power & braking , DP would be very nice .
Old 06-11-2016, 10:41 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club

True but I meant if you (had to} high idle mine for 24/7 it wouldn't hurt the motor at all ...
Safe-T-Plus
Old 06-11-2016, 10:51 AM   #27

Ok , but that's sort of the same argument I hear " DP are built on commercial bus chassis that are designed to go a million miles"
That's great . If your using bit as a commercial bus . I've never seen a motorhome with 200,000 miles .
So I don't really see that as a very valid point . True it says they last longer . But it comes with s price .
Old 06-11-2016, 11:04 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
Ok , but that's sort of the same argument I hear " DP are built on commercial bus chassis that are designed to go a million miles"
That's great . If your using bit as a commercial bus . I've never seen a motorhome with 200,000 miles .
So I don't really see that as a very valid point . True it says they last longer . But it comes with s price .
True I forgot about all the new diesel def and non idle issues >>> I'd go with a older diesel or a new gas tooo !!!

Safe-T-Plus

Tags
diesel, gas