Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2016, 12:06 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman-az View Post
You can make any argument you want on how to justify Gas or Diesel. If you get a gasser your husband will always be wondering if he made the right decision. If he is set on a diesel and you can afford it go for it, I hate "what if's"

This is part of the reason I plan to stay with a gasser is the what ifs .
But everyone has there own opinions .

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2016, 07:17 PM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Dittos Mike and Cha

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:33 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passaro View Post
My husband and I are getting ready to full time in the near future. I am sure this has been discussed as much as class A or fifth wheel.... Is a diesel a must? We have been shopping and he says definitely a diesel, I am asking because of the number of gas units out there for sale or is that why there are so many for sale?
As usual this is a hot topic - for my two cents - Bottom line as others have said it is the layout more than anything else. Can you live in it and feel like it's you on the road home. Often mentioned is the ride comparisons but you have to remember that going to and from a location is the shortest portion of time you will spend in the coach and it is your comfort for the rest of the time which counts the most. After finding our class C was a bit too small for us we were at an RV show where we saw a 35 foot DP that had everything we wanted and a perfect layout for the future. The monthly cost would have worked but the down payment was the stickler. I then got wondering if the manufacturer made a comparable layout in a Gas unit and found the Sunova. It had everything we wanted in the DP but in a gas unit at close to 50K less.

Later after reading the various posts on the board I am glad I went the way I did. Considering that the average RV'er travels only 6,000 miles a year running the numbers on fuel savings and I would be long gone before I broke even, and then considering the differences in the annual maintenance costs and repair costs it would have been a limiting factor on our budget.

While at this juncture in our lives we are limited to month long trips or shorter we plan on being seasonal snowbirds in a few years and we are confident we have found what will work for us. Like automobiles there are people that go to the store in Cadillac's and some that go to the same store in a compact cars. Both get you there but one leaves you more money to make purchases in the store. The right decision will come with well thought out deliberation.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:35 PM   #46

'What if' we're on the fence. (Sorry, couldn't resist!)
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:49 PM   #47

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Miller View Post
I'd always pick diesel because they are made to work long hours without harming them, you can run 24 hours.idle without sweating it. I've set for hours at 100 degree + temps ac running nice and cool while others overheated ... To each his own though..... I have trucks tractors and backhoes that are all diesel ... they all work hard and I count on them to..
Not true for some diesels! Our ISX has been rebuilt twice and had three turbo's in 45,000 miles. For some reason Cummins didn't do their due diligence with the ISX in the 2007 EPA year 600 and 650 HP models and they tend to over heat the #6 cyl and the valve heads break off. The rig itself is great, comfortable to drive and handles well for a 50,000# vehicle towing another 5,000#'s, just wish I could trust the engine.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:57 PM   #48

1. Safety going down hill. Except for the brakes and downshifting, how do you slow down a gas motorhome? My Chevy Duramax diesel has an engine brake and it makes all the difference getting my toy hauler down a steep hill.

2. Reading the various forums, I've read many comments from owners, who've owned both gas and diesel, who stated they would never go back to a gas motorhome. That says a lot.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:09 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Not true for some diesels! Our ISX has been rebuilt twice and had three turbo's in 45,000 miles. For some reason Cummins didn't do their due diligence with the ISX in the 2007 EPA year 600 and 650 HP models and they tend to over heat the #6 cyl and the valve heads break off. The rig itself is great, comfortable to drive and handles well for a 50,000# vehicle towing another 5,000#'s, just wish I could trust the engine.
You sure have had some bad luck and Im sure some diesel have issues .. But I'll stick with them ....
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:20 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gas or diesel ..... doesn't really mater that much, what does mater is what you got does what you want it to do.... I have a friend with a big old gas rig that he works on hisself and it runs like a top and he works on it nonstop to make it what he wants. It does what he wants it to do... I have a friend with a big nice very expencive DP and it has it all .... They both are very happy with their rigs .. I like em both and I'll run with either anytime!! What you got is what you want or get something else ...
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:33 PM   #51

Folks like us are spoiled. Except for the brake job, and that mostly my fault, our gasser has been flawless. Has a nick or two, and the carpet could be nicer, but it's comfortable, looks good, and does what we want. I trust this coach. Always wanted a DP, but then it's a whole new coach with stuff I'm not familiar with, and even with records I don't know the history and what could be wrong. It's a tuff call and a crap shoot. We're average folks with a pretty good retirement. I would hate to spend the money and be really dissatisfied. Sitting on top of the fence is hard to do.
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:44 PM   #52

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Dubya View Post
Folks like us are spoiled. Except for the brake job, and that mostly my fault, our gasser has been flawless. Has a nick or two, and the carpet could be nicer, but it's comfortable, looks good, and does what we want. I trust this coach. Always wanted a DP, but then it's a whole new coach with stuff I'm not familiar with, and even with records I don't know the history and what could be wrong. It's a tuff call and a crap shoot. We're average folks with a pretty good retirement. I would hate to spend the money and be really dissatisfied. Sitting on top of the fence is hard to do.
Exactly--couldn't have said it any better. Know what we have and it suits us just fine. Heck, we are full timing in a 30'r and loving it. It does help that we are best friends and married 47 years. Enjoy your trip no matter what you drive.
Crabb E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:39 AM   #53

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our 36' Fleetwood with a 460 Ford V8 works just fine. Last summer we traveled 8200 miles without any engine issues. I just stopped and got an oil change. The floor plan is just what we wanted and it has a nice large slider. It also has all the amenities we wanted. Something goes wrong with the engine it's much less expensive to work on. Sounds like the husband has his mind set on a DP. So be it. Go with the flow. Both a DP, or a gasser would work just fine under 40'. JMHO
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:50 AM   #54

Shaky, that what we have . Ours is a 36ft Bounder , tag axle , 460.
We plan to start full timing next fall.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:49 AM   #55

Ford Super Duty Owner
I really am reluctant to post on this thread but I simply must.

1. The best advice you got is find the floor plan you want. Then make a list of specific features. Have a clear idea of your budget for buying and then maintaining year over year. Things like normal wear and tear (brakes, oil changes, etc). The older your coach (gas or diesel) the more you will spend maintaining. I'd absolutely hate to see fellow vagabonds with a monument they cannot afford to repair. Do your math.

2. Safety with brakes. We have traveled about 24000 miles in the first 18 months we've owned a Class A. Twelve of those months and 18000 of those miles have been spend in our Challenger 37TB gasser. That 18000 miles includes a 7500 mile cross country and return trip with 3 grand children through places like Mount Rushmore, Devils Tower, Yellowstone, Oregon Trail, Redwood Forest, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, etc. Not once did our coach falter or give me pause for concern for any reason - to include braking. You simply must understand what you're doing on flat land, mountains or heavy traffic. Speed and space are always your friends.

My 2 cents.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:06 AM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
I really am reluctant to post on this thread but I simply must.

1. The best advice you got is find the floor plan you want. Then make a list of specific features. Have a clear idea of your budget for buying and then maintaining year over year. Things like normal wear and tear (brakes, oil changes, etc). The older your coach (gas or diesel) the more you will spend maintaining. I'd absolutely hate to see fellow vagabonds with a monument they cannot afford to repair. Do your math.

2. Safety with brakes. We have traveled about 24000 miles in the first 18 months we've owned a Class A. Twelve of those months and 18000 of those miles have been spend in our Challenger 37TB gasser. That 18000 miles includes a 7500 mile cross country and return trip with 3 grand children through places like Mount Rushmore, Devils Tower, Yellowstone, Oregon Trail, Redwood Forest, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, etc. Not once did our coach falter or give me pause for concern for any reason - to include braking. You simply must understand what you're doing on flat land, mountains or heavy traffic. Speed and space are always your friends.

My 2 cents.
I agree. My Suncruiser had the exact floorplan that was best for us. Having looked at several buses, both gas and diesel, without consideration of the drivetrain, we found the best floorplan first as confirmed by the ever handy butt test. Many coaches were spectacular in fit and finish, but when the tire hit the road (butt hit the couch or driver's chair), the furniture felt like a piece of plywood with foam over it. Our choice consistently (yes, we checked several similar buses for consistency) was the most comfortable.

Then I considered driveline. I own a Cummins diesel in a 2012 Dodge Ram 2500. My second Ram diesel. I LOVE those engines. Had there been that option offered in a chassis for the class A, hands down that is what would have been bought. But it was not an option. The DP that we also really liked, similar size and amenities was 100k more expensive.

My Mom and Dad's Ford gas based RV has been bulletproof. My brother's too. So we made our choice really because of floorplan and comfort. The rest will work itself out.

Tags
diesel, gas