Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2016, 01:07 PM   #1

Diesel vs. Gas

My husband and I are getting ready to full time in the near future. I am sure this has been discussed as much as class A or fifth wheel.... Is a diesel a must? We have been shopping and he says definitely a diesel, I am asking because of the number of gas units out there for sale or is that why there are so many for sale?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2016, 01:21 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My feeling is thus: Diesel if you intend to put on a lot of miles, gas if you just go up to the lake and back. Plus, the rear engine, diesel or gas, is way better than a front engine if you intend to put a lot of miles on. However, never heard of a rear engine gas, 'cept in a 1950s era bus.

TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passaro View Post
My husband and I are getting ready to full time in the near future. Is a diesel a must? We have been shopping and he says definitely a diesel, I am asking because of the number of gas units out there for sale or is that why there are so many for sale?

It's all a matter of how heavy a coach you need to full time in the manner that you choose. If you want over 40' with lots of load carrying capacity then it will be a diesel by default. If a 39' gas coach that weighs 24-25,000 pounds checks all the boxes then you are fine with gas. If you need more room and more of your stuff then a diesel is in your future. When we decided to go full time, 10 years ago, we decided we wanted 40', AquaHot, tag axle. That mandated diesel. We've lived in that coach for 9 years now and I would be perfectly confident in heading for Alaska tomorrow.
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
My feeling is thus: Diesel if you intend to put on a lot of miles, gas if you just go up to the lake and back. Plus, the rear engine, diesel or gas, is way better than a front engine if you intend to put a lot of miles on. However, never heard of a rear engine gas, 'cept in a 1950s era bus.

Actually Workhorse built a chassis back around '05 that was called the "UFO" for universal fuel option. It could be ordered by a coach builder with either a Cummins ISB or the GM 8.1 gas. I never saw a gas version but they were available.
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:31 PM   #5

We will be full timing and plan to move every 2-4 weeks.
Thanks!
Old 06-10-2016, 02:15 PM   #6

It's all about the power and ride the both will get there fine.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:45 PM   #7

We first had a gas coach with a 8.1L engine, then we bought our Dutch Star DP. If you drive both, you will buy the diesel, I promise you that. Air brakes, air ride, exhaust brake, 100 times more power, etc....
Old 06-10-2016, 02:50 PM   #8

Age old question

Newer gas units are fine for anything whether fulltime or part time. All depends on how much you want to or have to spend. We could easily afford a DP but our Tiffin 36la serves us absolutely fine. Not into old units that require lots of maintenance. We have $$$ to spend on other travels and interests. Also we do not need towing capacity over #5000. We can tow our CRV and jetski easily and under the 5000# weight restriction
Old 06-10-2016, 04:28 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gas powered RV's sell 4 for each 1 Diesel...so there's more on the used market.

Since about 2010, there's only 1 gas chassis maker...Ford's F53, 6.8L V10.
Before that there was the Workhorse chassis...8.1L V8 (a $3500 perk in the used market).

If you compare only the small engined DP 5.9L and 6.7L straight 6 to the gas powered RV's, there is not such a big difference in performance.

If comparing the larger Diesels (8L and larger), there will be a big difference.

If hubby is telling you it's Diesel, his mind set will probably not be changed in the used market, but in new models the new 6speed transmission and new floor plans make the line between gas and Diesel more blurry.

For full-time, I submit that floor plan is paramount.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:33 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
A couple of other issues that haven't been brought up.

Front engine gas coaches have a much higher noise level, especially on hills, while the diesel engine is way behind you and much quieter, almost silent.

Diesel coaches are able to use the large truck stops for refueling. Very easy to get in, refuel and get out. Gas engine coaches have to use the auto lanes which are typically not designed for large vehicles and are much more difficult to access.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:53 PM   #11

Here we go again, Gas MH's will get you all the same places the diesels go. Once you are there they pretty much all do the same thing. If you are looking at the newer higher end Gas Models, the engine noise is not an issue on the normal level type terrain, which you spend the bulk of your time on, they get a little louder when you climb grades, but nothing like you will hear being exaggerated by people who may not even own, or have owned a newer gas MH. The Higher end manufactures are offering pretty much the same amenities other than those you cannot get without the diesel chassis, for example air leveling and some of the advanced heating systems. But the gas MH's have leveling jacks, and two heating systems so to us that is not an issue.

I really don't get how getting fuel would be something to consider in the purchase, as we have driven thousands of miles and never had an issue getting gas anywhere, in fact all gas stations have gas, but all do not have diesel, so don't let that be a factor in your decision. We have never had a problem getting in/out of a gas station.The most important thing is finding the floorplan that fits your needs, in a MH that is quality built. There are several other threads on this issue, and you can spend hours reading the debates. If money is a factor, the same MH in a diesel model/ same brand with basically the same amenities as ours, was $100,000 more. Is it better, yes it should be for $100,000, is it really necessary that depends on what's important to the buyer. For me I like to do all my own maintenance which I can easily do on ours, and I hate to take anything I own into a shop unless I absolutely have to.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Here we go again, Gas MH's will get you all the same places the diesels go. Once you are there they pretty much all do the same thing. If you are looking at the newer higher end Gas Models, the engine noise is not an issue on the normal level type terrain, which you spend the bulk of your time on, they get a little louder when you climb grades, but nothing like you will hear being exaggerated by people who may not even own, or have owned a newer gas MH. The Higher end manufactures are offering pretty much the same amenities other than those you cannot get without the diesel chassis, for example air leveling and some of the advanced heating systems. But the gas MH's have leveling jacks, and two heating systems so to us that is not an issue.

I really don't get how getting fuel would be something to consider in the purchase, as we have driven thousands of miles and never had an issue getting gas anywhere, in fact all gas stations have gas, but all do not have diesel, so don't let that be a factor in your decision. We have never had a problem getting in/out of a gas station.The most important thing is finding the floorplan that fits your needs, in a MH that is quality built. There are several other threads on this issue, and you can spend hours reading the debates. If money is a factor, the same MH in a diesel model with basically the same amenities as ours, was $100,000 more. Is it better, yes it should be for $100,000, is it really necessary that depends on what's important to he buyer. For me I like to do all my own maintenance which I can easily do on ours, and I hate to take anything I own into a shop unless I absolutely have to.
I couldn't have said it better myself.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:07 PM   #13

This diesel vs gas thing is getting quite old. At least one new thread started every week. Maybe there should be a sticky with that and it would grow ad infinitum.
Arrrrrgggg
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:26 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I doubt you would be full timing in anything under 35'.
I would suspect most folks who full time, I say most, not all, are in bigger coaches, 40'+.
Maybe your husband has already decided that more room is better for living arrangements , thus the dp.
The only time gas verse dp comes into play is 35-39'.

Tags
diesel, gas