Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
Diesel won't run

Today I decided to change fuel filters as recomended
by Spartan and Cummins. Herein lies the problem.After the" fuel shower "experienced durring removal of said filters,it was noted by me that recomended procedure is to pre fill the " primary " with fuel before installing same.Nothing said about filling "secondary" filter. Decision was made to partially fill both because of the lack of sufficient amount of diesel fuel. Notes taken at Cummins seminar say to cycle key switch on and off several times to fill filters.I have attempted this method with no sucess. Diesel won't run.
Keep on cycling? Remove filters and fill to the top? What's next? Fortunately the fuel filters are reasonably accessable if that is the case.Any help is greatly appreciated.

2005 KSDP3910

vjcappellett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
I always fill new filters full. If I don't have enough diesel I go and get it. I have never had an issue starting any rig after a fuel filter change.

Steve and Joy
2013 Winnebago Journey
Where We Are Now
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
I would remove both, fill to the top, leave off the one closest to the engine. Cycle key and make sure you see fuel pumping (lift pump is working).

If you do have fuel pumping, Re attach filter and cycle key 3 times. then try start.

If still no start then you will have to bleed each injector (crack each line fitting and try starting until you see each bubbling fuel)

If you dont have fuel pumping with filter off you may have a bad lift pump
2008 Monaco Cayman XL 38PBD
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by things you did. Explore, Dream, Discover. Mark Twain
JManatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
If you do fill the final filter, make sure you plug the center hole so it fills through the holes around the edge of the filter. This way it still filters the diesel prior to getting to the engine.
2015 Tuscany 40 KQ
2013 Honda CR-V
Harry B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
Even after filling both filters on mine. I still couldn't get it to start, after a call to Spartan I was told to cycle the key on wait till I heard the pump shut off then turn the key off and do this 7 to 10 times. I had to have the DW do the key as we was on the phones together while I was in the back listening for the pump. I guess I could have walled back and forth but my knee was bummed that day. It fired right up. As someone else said plug the center hole on the filter and pour the diesel in the outer holes.
Sally, Hailey (Shih Tzu) and Me!
08 Revolution LE 40E
12 Jeep Wrangler,10 FLHX
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
NEVER NEVER NEVER change filters without filling both all the way to the top. Getting air in injector lines can be an interesting experience. Kind of like a trip to the dentist to get a tooth pulled can be interesting. I am sure a diesel mechanic is going to give you some very good advice on here and since I am not a mechanic there advice will be better than mine. But until then. If you turn on the pump and pump diesel fuel into the filters where is the air going to go that you induced. I do not know enough about RV diesels to answer this question but I assume somewhere on the injector pump is a bleed screw. I know the tractors and the diesel pickups I have had have a place to bleed air after the filter. Find the bleed screw open it up and have the wife do the turn the key on and off until you get solid fuel with no air in it coming out of the bleeder. Shut the bleeder screw off and if you are lucky and have not gotten any air into the injector pump itself it should start. If not follow the advice given earlier and open each individual injector line and bleed. I have had tractors without fuel gauges and have run out before. Bleeding individual fuel lines can be a real lack of fun. Since you did not run out of diesel but only induced air through the filters you should be ok when you get that air out of the system.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #7

You have to know what system you have . If you have Common Rail injection Cummins , that you should have in 05 , never crack a fuel supply lines at the injector; or any where past the high pressure pump; , fuel pressure there is high enough to penetrate the skin and KILL you.
The older systems (ISB with VP-44 pump in particular 98-03) often required bleeding air out of the injector tubes, the lower pressure involved makes them less dangerous,. But the Common rail engines the injectors are electronically fired and will clear air out of the system eventually.
If you are still having problems the lift pump may be failing, not providing the fuel flow required to purge the air out of the system.
Cycle the key on without cranking the engine , wait for the lift pump cycle to stop ( 20 -25 sec ) repeat 3 times. On the 4th key cycle bump the starter about 2seconds of engine cranking then repeat 3 key on cycles. Then attempt to start. No more than 30 seconds of cranking to avoid overheating the starter. If the engine fails to start, wait 10 mins for the starter to cool and the batteries to recover and repeat the whole process.
If in 3 repeats of this the engine still will not fire. The lift pump will need to be checked out, sometimes they will run ( you should be able to hear the pump if you're beside the engine during the 20 second run time ) but not pump any fuel .

BTW; Welcome to iRV2, sorry your having problems.

EDIT: Depending on how the fuel lines are routed , the primary filter may be between the tank and the lift pump, the lift pump may not be capable of sucking the air out of that filter housing. Drop and fill the primary filter. Once the lift pump has a prime , it should have no trouble filling the secondary filter and purging the air, using the key cycle method.

99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote