Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2016, 10:24 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
Is this a true statement? According to the Monaco website - the current Monaco Diplomat coaches are built on a Roadmaster chassis.

I've never been able to get a clear picture as to who actually builds (and/or has built) the Roadmaster chassis. I can't help but think that one of the major chassis builders OEM'ed them to Monaco to be marketed as "Roadmaster" chassis ... but have never been able to find anything that definitively identifies exactly who.

The Roadmaster chassis, pre REV ownership, was built completely by Monaco. Roadmaster was a family of chassis with the S Series semi monocoque chassis as the top. This was the foundation chassis that was designed by Chrysler in the mid '80s and sold to Monaco before any production chassis were built.
By the time of the original Monaco going bankrupt, this was the Roadmaster chassis line up:
1. S Series semi monocoque. Steel framed and welded. Top three Monaco brand coaches as well as others by HR, Beaver, Safari.
2. RR10S. Tag axle coaches with side radiator and aluminum framing.
3. RR8S. Same as above without tag axle.
4. RR10R. Tag axle coach with rear radiator.
5. RR8R. Same as above without tag axle.
6. RR4R. Entry level diesel coaches with 4 air bags. This was the chassis with the trailing arm issue.

Some of these chassis were built under Navistar's ownership and Roadmaster production was halted when REV purchased the company. The current Roadmaster/Freightliner chassis are built by REV in Decatur, In. They utilize front and rear clips by Freightliner and joined by a ladder type center section to meet whatever is specified for the coach being built. This is the same concept as the Liberty chassis used for the American Coach line.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2016, 10:33 AM   #30

My first surprise is that I thought most motorhome repairs were done at the dealer level. With dealers all over the country that would come as no surprise to me. I'm assuming you don't have to buy a motorhome at the dealership for them to work on it?

I didn't realize when I read someone saying on a post, "The Shop, the diesel mechanic etc" it was different from a dealership reference. Although I know there are many Cummins and other diesel shops around the country to support all the diesels on the road just like they do for gassers!

I'm also surprised no one has said;

• gas engines are easier to work on
• there are a lot more gas dealers/repair shops than diesel
• its easier to diagnose and fix a gas engine
• only diesel folks complain on line
• or as some have said "don't ask anymore you annoy me". And my wife could tell you more about that!

I thought there would be some specific answers? You guys read the same posts that I do, why are they by wide and far about diesel pushers?

I'm not even talking about the chassis and drivetrain necessarily. I'm talking in general!

I'm not for or against gassers or diesels (i'm buying a diesel) I'd just like to have an answer to the central question. Or maybe the saying is right "you can't handle the truth"!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:47 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are few RV dealers who do much, if any, chassis work. The RV industry is not like the auto industry where you can go back to the dealer for everything.

I suspect gas motorhomes spend as much time in shops as DP's for repairs to the house/RV system.

Bottom line, they can all break and be a pita. Preventative maintenance is the key.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:08 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
My first surprise is that I thought most motorhome repairs were done at the dealer level. With dealers all over the country that would come as no surprise to me. I'm assuming you don't have to buy a motorhome at the dealership for them to work on it?

I didn't realize when I read someone saying on a post, "The Shop, the diesel mechanic etc" it was different from a dealership reference. Although I know there are many Cummins and other diesel shops around the country to support all the diesels on the road just like they do for gassers!

I'm also surprised no one has said;

• gas engines are easier to work on
• there are a lot more gas dealers/repair shops than diesel
• its easier to diagnose and fix a gas engine
• only diesel folks complain on line
• or as some have said "don't ask anymore you annoy me". And my wife could tell you more about that!

I thought there would be some specific answers? You guys read the same posts that I do, why are they by wide and far about diesel pushers?

I'm not even talking about the chassis and drivetrain necessarily. I'm talking in general!

I'm not for or against gassers or diesels (i'm buying a diesel) I'd just like to have an answer to the central question. Or maybe the saying is right "you can't handle the truth"!

Wyo, I think that your topic is just not that "deep" or complicated. It might be why you aren't getting more meaty responses.
Bottom line is, you will always be able to find a place to service any MH. You want to be informed. I get that. But you have already decided a diesel is "right" for you. Time to focus on your plan to support and care for that diesel, and all that involves.
People choose diesel for xyz...
People choose gas for xyz.....
Your investigation has returned a ton of data on that topic.
I think you're gonna love your Ventana
Indy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:23 AM   #33

I can only relate from a gas perspective. I have yet to find an RV dealership in the Phoenix/Mesa area (and there are many) that will do any chassis or engine related work. In addition, most Ford dealerships will not work on Class A motorhomes, since they either cannot get them in the shop, or don't have a hoist large enough to support the vehicle weight. You have to find a Ford dealer who sells and services heavy duty trucks.

I do agree with what has already been pointed out here a few times, that down time for most RVs, gas or diesel, is not related to chassis or engine issues.
terryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:33 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryl View Post
I can only relate from a gas perspective. I have yet to find an RV dealership in the Phoenix/Mesa area (and there are many) that will do any chassis or engine related work. In addition, most Ford dealerships will not work on Class A motorhomes, since they either cannot get them in the shop, or don't have a hoist large enough to support the vehicle weight. You have to find a Ford dealer who sells and services heavy duty trucks.

I do agree with what has already been pointed out here a few times, that down time for most RVs, gas or diesel, is not related to chassis or engine issues.

Terryl, I am lucky in that within a few miles of me, there is a Ford dealer that does in fact provide large truck/fleet service.
For any issues beyond by skill, I've had very good luck getting in and out.
Indy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:17 PM   #35

I agree on most points. First finding a decent shop that can work on your unit. Always takes a week or 2 for them to look at it.
Then most diesel engines is in the back and accessibility to what needs repairing. This also adds to the cost.
BUT when I'm driving her on I80 it hard to believe how quiet and stable it is even w light crosswinds.
I always fear about taking it in because there is never a place close by to take it to.
WillsDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:44 PM   #36

I hear you! With the exception of a lemon, It's like my dad always said "you take care of your tools and your tools will take care of you"!

I thought maybe there was some answer that eluded me but I get what you're saying.

My thanks to one and all
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:52 PM   #37

Diesels break down more & longer periods than Gassers?

As a DP owner of three years and 20,000 miles, I don't speak with the experience of others here, but will throw in my two cents worth. In my half dozen shop visits, it has always been clear that I was there to have the coach worked on, not stored. In a case requiring diagnostics, I set a limit of one hour of labor to either fix the problem or stop and discuss a plan with me. This worked well on my last visit, where we sat down after an hour to establish that the shop didn't have a clue of how to fix the three items on my list. I too am amazed at the stories on this site of how long RV's have sat in the shop, or more accurately, the shop's yard. My impression is that in many instances it is a case of the Forrest Gump boat line
"How much does it cost?"
"How much do you have?"
and coincidentally, they match exactly. If you mention that your next trip isn't until next spring, you remove any sense of urgency and the sight of your rig in their yard becomes part of the landscape. Alternatively, some shops believe that you are at their mercy and are oblivious to the concept of a customer who is hiring them to do a job. As I have read here and experienced at least once myself, some shops truly believe that if you are a rich DP owner, then your time and money are no object.
As others have mentioned, I have no reason to write anything here about my three hour shop visit that went exactly as planned. The person who went to the shop down the street to have the same work done in a month will have something to say.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:58 PM   #38

I think diesel RVs break down more often because almost all are not used enough. Diesel engines are designed for hard heavy duty use, the engines suffer when they are not used all day everyday like they are in commuter buses, trucks, etc.
univmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:00 PM   #39

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
Back to the diesel experience i mentioned, many new owners will treat their diesel MH's like they treat their car. That is, they put gas in it till something breaks. That is guaranteed to cause an expensive lesson with diesels.

These extra systems differentiate luxury diesels from anything else and with preventative maintenance often work flawlessly for years.
Owned DP's since 2000. Even doing everything right you can still have a catastrophic problem if there is a bad engine design! Cummins knows of the 2007 EPA CM871 ISX 600 and 650 problems, even designed new valves and heads but I'm not confident that that will cure the problems!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:08 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
Is this a true statement? According to the Monaco website - the current Monaco Diplomat coaches are built on a Roadmaster chassis.

I've never been able to get a clear picture as to who actually builds (and/or has built) the Roadmaster chassis. I can't help but think that one of the major chassis builders OEM'ed them to Monaco to be marketed as "Roadmaster" chassis ... but have never been able to find anything that definitively identifies exactly who.
I don't think that's an accurate statement as it pertains to Monaco Roadmaster chassis. They are advertised on their site today. From what I understand, they were never made entirely by Monaco, but were a standard truck chassis with a different front and rear cap.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:14 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Owned DP's since 2000. Even doing everything right you can still have a catastrophic problem if there is a bad engine design! Cummins knows of the 2007 EPA CM871 ISX 600 and 650 problems, even designed new valves and heads but I'm not confident that that will cure the problems!
I agree. If I have done everything I can in the way of preventative maintenance, then at the end of the day something breaks it is just my turn in the barrel. I can live with that.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:22 PM   #42

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
I agree. If I have done everything I can in the way of preventative maintenance, then at the end of the day something breaks it is just my turn in the barrel. I can live with that.
Would you talk with Cummins about doing it under warranty rather than just covering $10,400 of it (less than 1/3 rd the cost)? Especially since it's a known problem with this engine. It was nice of them to do that much, but I figure that was just the profit anyway.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas