Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-27-2016, 05:26 PM   #43
Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
I agree. If I have done everything I can in the way of preventative maintenance, then at the end of the day something breaks it is just my turn in the barrel. I can live with that.
Well said ^^^^^^ .....PM's haunt me when I know I should change a fuel filter before a trip .... Be on my mind till we get home...

1995 Monaco Dynasty
32' B5.9 Banks, 6 speed Alison 3060
2008 HHR Panel toad
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2016, 05:54 PM   #44
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Would you talk with Cummins about doing it under warranty rather than just covering $10,400 of it (less than 1/3 rd the cost)?
Mr. D, you are a tower of restrained grace.

I'd be happy to talk to Cummins, if you think it'd help. No doubt the whole experience still has a bitter taste. It is my prayer you and your wife will enjoy your Magna for a long time.

Jim and Jennie, Cats=Bittles and Potter, 2000 Dynasty 350 ISC
2013 Silverado 4x4 Towed with R1200GS in bed.
PROV23:4 Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:31 PM   #45
American Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by univmd View Post
I think diesel RVs break down more often because almost all are not used enough. Diesel engines are designed for hard heavy duty use, the engines suffer when they are not used all day everyday like they are in commuter buses, trucks, etc.
Perfect explanation and that's what I see on here every single day ! Park Em forget Em use Em when you want ! This doesn't work - that doesn't work ect ect !
Use Em or loose Em rings a bell with me .
Solution = Exercise Them- Run Them as they were designed to do !
Mine Never sits for more than 30 days except when I put it to sleep for the Winter - Nov- late Feb.
Brownsburg Indiana
1992 American Eagle
NHRA225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:49 PM   #46

Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Perfect explanation and that's what I see on here every single day ! Park Em forget Em use Em when you want ! This doesn't work - that doesn't work ect ect !

Use Em or loose Em rings a bell with me .

Solution = Exercise Them- Run Them as they were designed to do !

Mine Never sits for more than 30 days except when I put it to sleep for the Winter - Nov- late Feb.

IE: go fulltime and move 30 times a year.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:00 PM   #47
Have not had to take either of the two DP coaches I have owned to a shop in the last 10 years. Knock on wood. The day may come when I'm not able to do a needed repair though. Preventative maintenance and replacing parts before they get too bad has worked for me so far. I believe more DP owners post about issues than the gas coach owners. DP folks seem to be more into knowing the "why's" of their coach and will post on the forum. I don't think DP's as a rule are in a shop any longer than a gas coach except for maybe a major engine overhaul or something that takes major disassembly. The Commercial vehicles come first comments are true to some extent. My Father had a head gasket fail on his 08 Fleetwood Excursion with 30k miles. Head gasket failure was caused by a bad EGR cooler, which caused liner pitting they said. Freightliner Redding, Ca let it sit for a week before they could even get to it. Took over a month to get it back but they also rebuilt the engine, new Pistons, liners, bearings etc. when a OTR truck would come in they would stop work on the coach and get the truck back to work. The coach was not needed immediately and they knew that. The fan assembly fell off on the way back to San Diego but that is another story.
07 Winnebago Vectra 40 TD ISL 400. Tru-balance, centramatics, Koni shocks
RSteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:21 PM   #48
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
The Roadmaster chassis, pre REV ownership, was built completely by Monaco. Roadmaster was a family of chassis with the S Series semi monocoque chassis as the top. This was the foundation chassis that was designed by Chrysler in the mid '80s and sold to Monaco before any production chassis were built.
By the time of the original Monaco going bankrupt, this was the Roadmaster chassis line up:
1. S Series semi monocoque. Steel framed and welded. Top three Monaco brand coaches as well as others by HR, Beaver, Safari.
2. RR10S. Tag axle coaches with side radiator and aluminum framing.
3. RR8S. Same as above without tag axle.
4. RR10R. Tag axle coach with rear radiator.
5. RR8R. Same as above without tag axle.
6. RR4R. Entry level diesel coaches with 4 air bags. This was the chassis with the trailing arm issue.

Some of these chassis were built under Navistar's ownership and Roadmaster production was halted when REV purchased the company. The current Roadmaster/Freightliner chassis are built by REV in Decatur, In. They utilize front and rear clips by Freightliner and joined by a ladder type center section to meet whatever is specified for the coach being built. This is the same concept as the Liberty chassis used for the American Coach line.
Steve, you forgot the Roadmaster M chassis. Tag axle 10 air bag side radiator on Beavers in the 2000-2006 or so time frame. Still not sure where it fits in.

Jerry, "EWC (SW)" USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder 505 HP C-12 1550 TQ
Allison 4000MH Ram 4X4 towed
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote

diesel, gas