Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Difference between 43' and 45'

How much of a difference between a 42-43' and a 45' as far as parking, manuvering and finding CG's? I don't have any issue with any of the above, but constantly hear people with 45 footers talkl about how much more room they require and how much more manuvering space they need. I just can't see where 2 feet would require that much more area, or be that much harder to park, or find a CG.

I know when I went from a 38 to the 43 it was completely different, especially when trying to back in my driveway (kinda tight quarters), but I soon figured out that if I raised the tag it actually backed in in just about the same turning space as my 38 did.

So for all you 45 drivers, does a 45' take that much more room than a 42-43 footer?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrchips View Post
How much of a difference between a 42-43' and a 45' as far as parking, manuvering and finding CG's? I don't have any issue with any of the above, but constantly hear people with 45 footers talkl about how much more room they require and how much more manuvering space they need. I just can't see where 2 feet would require that much more area, or be that much harder to park, or find a CG.

I know when I went from a 38 to the 43 it was completely different, especially when trying to back in my driveway (kinda tight quarters), but I soon figured out that if I raised the tag it actually backed in in just about the same turning space as my 38 did.

So for all you 45 drivers, does a 45' take that much more room than a 42-43 footer?
Good question. We are getting a 43 this month and I fail to see how 2 feet alters geometry that much.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #3

In looking at Newmars, specifically mine and a 45' Essex the wheelbase less tag is 276" on mine and 294" on the 45'. So obviously there is an 18" length increase, but I can't believe that would make eveyone I talk to say how much more room they require.

Maybe they just went from a 38-40' to the 45' and they are comparing that.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I changed last year from a 40' coach to a 45' coach.
The longer wheel base means you have to swing a little wider on a tight turn. So the rear wheels track a little more inside the steer than the shorter coach.
I have discovered that a few campgrounds perceive they only have a smaller number of places for a 45' coach. So when booking, saying you are 42' might make the difference on whether you get a spot. You can always park the toad in the carpark.
Maneuvering into most spots cause no problems whatsoever. There are no drawbacks in owning a 45' coach other than the obvious fuel economy.

Some
Old 06-30-2013, 05:09 PM   #5

Steve, I agree that the track is different, and it is much different when moving from a 40 to a 45, or in my case a 38 to a 43. My question though was aside from the obvious 18" wheelbase increase and the 2' of living space, how in the world could a 45 take up that much more room than a 43. I have even had 45 drivers in CG's tell me I was lucky that I had a 43 and not a 45 becasue i could find more camp spots, even though I shake my head (to myself) I just ask them why they don't just say they have a 43 and be done....LOL Like you I think it is a physcological mindset that campgrounds have.

As for fuel economy, how much worse would a 500 cummins be in a 45 than a 400 in a 43? Understanding that bigger horses eat more hay, how much more hay....lol
Old 06-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Partly depends whether it's 43' actual length, or model name. When I finally got around to measuring my Mandalay 43A, I found out it was 44'11" long.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #7

Specs show my 4304 Mountain Aire as 42'6" overall and the 45 footer as 44'11" overall. I have not physically measured mine to see exactly what it is.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have only had the 45ft, but it really depends on the steering cut (how sharp the front wheels turn). As I said, I have only had the 45ft and I seem to go everywhere the other 40s go.

Get the right rig for you AND everything else is workable. You get the wrong rig, well......
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #9

Just went out an measured, actual length minus the mirrors is 42'6". I don't have a ladder so that is measured from body end to body end.

Reason for all the questions is that we are seriously thinking of switching to full time and really think we would prefer a 1.5 bath. Most of the 1.5 bath coaches are 45'. We like our 43 fine except for maybe wanting more bath space, although we have figured out how to work around each other.......we just don't live in it....lol
Old 06-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Mrchips, I think you'd have an easy transition from a 43 to a 45 in terms of turning, parking, backing, fuel consumption, etc. vs the additional creature comforts, living space and storage space you would gain. And on my 45, all 4 slides can be opened even with all vertical bay doors open. Not sure that would be true on a 43. And on the few occasions when I've been told by CGs that the only remaining spaces were limited to 43' coaches, I was able to fit right in but potentially, that could certainly be a possible problem as could storage in a warehouse that could barely take a 43, but most warehouses are the standard 50' long.
gcroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:46 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Firstly, in the real world I suspect few would notice the difference in operating a 43' vs a 45'. Nor can I imagine that an extra 2' would keep you out of a space that a 43' coach would fit into. Most parks that limit length seem to list either 30' or 40' as the max, the former being the more common, in our limited experience, and usually for older public parks.

As for having to go to 45' to get 1.5 baths, where did you get that notion? Our's is 43', we have 1.5 baths, our friends have 1.5 baths in their Entegra Aspire. The Winnebago Tour / Itasca Elcipse models we looked at before our purchase were 1.5 baths. The Tiffen Phaeton, Allegro Bus...

You get the idea.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
I just went from 43' to 45' a month ago. The difference is in the wheelbase, so where you notice the additional length is all of the street corners. I have been running over more curbs than I care to count!! I am obviously still getting used to it but I can see where this is going to cause me some problems going around a few corners(high curbs) I used to be able to do easily. Other than that, I haven't noticed any difference except perhaps it rides a little better!
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #13

I agree with most, I have a 45' now and have previously had a 43' coach and I really didn't see or feel much difference in them in driving or finding a spot in campgrounds. I think you will be just fine moving into a 45' coach. Actually I think my new 45' coach turns sharper than my old 43' and is easier to maneuver because of that. You will adapt to the added length quickly and not have any issues. I am not sure why people have the preconceived notion that the extra two feet make a big difference in finding a spot, as was said I haven't had an issue finding a spot in any park I have gone too.

Good luck with the quest for a new Coach!!!
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #14

JMonroe, I didn't say the only coaches that had a 1.5 bath were 45', I was making a statement that most appeared to be 45'. (sorry my thought moved faster than my fingers) as I meant to say most we were looking at appeared to be 45'. I am fully aware of the 42-43 footers that have 1.5 baths.

That made me think about all the people we run into that I ask about their 45 and the varried responses I get (most being as stated above) saying they required way more room. However, I don't guess I really ever asked if they had driven a 43 before going ot a 45 for comparrison...Heck just this past week while in a campground there was a man parked beside me in a fairly new Cross Country that appeared to be 36-38 foot. while talking with him he asked how long my coach was and I said 43'. He comment was oh wow that is only 2 feet longer than mine. I looked at his again and then asked how that could be as his didn't appear to be a 41 and he replied no it was a 35' but it actually measured 41'. Now I didn't get a tape measure to check his measurement, and there was absolutely no way I was going to convince him that a 35 was more then 2' shorter than a 43'...LOL

Anyway, thanks to those that have replied. And like most comments I don't think I will have any parking issues if we decide to move to a 45'.