Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2008, 03:14 PM   #1

I am looking at each on a web site.There is the usual info engine etc.Bit what is the real advantage to the Excursion over the Discovery.They are 2005's.I know I should buy a Tiffin ,but I do not like the style as much.The Southwind I have has serverd me well.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2008, 03:14 PM   #2

I am looking at each on a web site.There is the usual info engine etc.Bit what is the real advantage to the Excursion over the Discovery.They are 2005's.I know I should buy a Tiffin ,but I do not like the style as much.The Southwind I have has serverd me well.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:03 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi tqracn,
If your coach has served you well, why would you purchase another coach?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 05:01 PM   #4

We have no slides, it has 80,ooo miles on it, its not a coach that is enjoyable to drive on a long trip,it is cold in the winter on the highway as it has air leaks.We are planning a trip to New Mexico and a newer coach seemed a good idea.Also it seems like a good time to buy.A 40 foot 2005 with 17k for $100,000 plus our coach, seems a steal or a 39 foot Discovery for$ 86,000.Same amount of miles give or take.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:30 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
tqracn,

The Excursion is 2 models "up the ladder", so to speak, from the Discovery. It starts out $30,000 more than the Discovery. There are many differences between the 2 that only you can decide if they sway you to one coach over the other. Some of the differences would be things like:
350HP Cummins ISC 6.7L Engine on the Discovery
360HP Cummins ISC 8.3L Engine on the Excursion
Different floorplan options
Items that are standard on the Excursion could be options (or not available) on the Discovery.

If you want more specifics, go to Fleetwood's diesel webpage & click on the <span class="ev_code_BLUE">Compare Features</span> wording on either of the coaches & then pull up the other in the drop down menu when the Compare Features pages comes up.

IMO, both are fine coaches. Right away, you'll notice a HUGE difference between a 12yr old gasser & a recent model diesel. You'll need to check out (& drive) both to see which will suit your needs/wants best.

Happy shopping.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:52 AM   #6
JRP

tqracn,

If you're looking at used 2005 models, its going to come down to the floorplans & options of the two. Back then most Fleetwood diesels had the Cat engines. There is actually very little difference between the two, same major components, same construction methods, same assembly line. One includes a few options in its base price, but the same options are available on the other model, as extras. So in the used market, it comes down to which options are included and which floor plan you prefer; and of course what condition each is in.
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:09 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
As said basically the same coach the Excursion has a 350hp 860 torque Cat, the Discovery has the 330 860 cat. there are some trim differences and the end caps differ slightly. I f the Discovery has the floor plan you like and has been maintained properly I would save the 14k and go with the Discovery. The 20 hp means nothing in real life. There is a very good owners group http://www.discoveryowners.com I'm Bias love mine but there are those that don't like fleetwood. I would assume you're not one of them. Good luck
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:31 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
The greatest advantage of Discovery over Excursion is the excellent support system provided by the Discovery Owners Group.....
http://www.discoveryowners.com/

2007 REV LE
Jack Myton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:50 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
What I cannot understand is the difference between the Providence and Excursion. According to the website both start at the same price. When I do the comparison it seems only the exterior graphics are different.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:00 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

You are correct - there is no difference between Excursion and Providence. Having two identical models with different names gets around exclusive franchising restrictions. Fleetwood can have a Providence dealer and an Excursion dealer in the same city or rural county, if they need to. The cost to do so is very low - mostly in printing two sets of sales brochures and two sets of graphics templates for the side walls.

Winnebago does more or less the same thing with Itasca and Winnebago models.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:08 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What I cannot understand is the difference between the Providence and Excursion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've wondered the same thing, too. Thanks for the explanation, Gary.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Winnebago does more or less the same thing with Itasca and Winnebago models. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
At least they have sense to vary the floorplans on 1 of their sister lines (Adventurer vs Suncruiser) to break up the monotony.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:13 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
thanks Gary.

Itasca/Winnebago - I know a dealer that sells Itasca and there is a dealer not 10 miles away that sells Winnebago.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:25 AM   #13

WE bot the '08 Providence because we liked the style of the end caps better than the Excursions. Crazy, I know, BUT, beauty is in the eye of the beholder ! Robbie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What I cannot understand is the difference between the Providence and Excursion. According to the website both start at the same price. When I do the comparison it seems only the exterior graphics are different.

--------------------
John & Joyce
and Libby the Yellow Lab. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

'06 AWD Saturn Vue-toad
riggarob is offline   Reply With Quote