Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2012, 06:29 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Different Kwikee Step Issue

Problem: I can't find any way to access the step motor for removal. I have searched the Forums but have not found an answer to my particular step issue. I have a 2003 Fleetwood Storm with the Kwikee steps (2) that are locked in the up position. My fuses, controller, magnets and power to the motor are all in working order. My problem is that I want to remove the motor but can't see how to do it. With the steps in the "up" position, I don't have access to the bolts holding the motor in place. Also, I don't see any pin that I can access that would disengage any linkage. I have included a picture that may illustrate the issue. The picture is taken from underneath the step looking out to where the steps should extend to. I have also checked every possible angle but still no access to a pin that would allow the steps to free fall. I have searched the Kwikee site but couldn't find an answer. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1231.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	442.5 KB
ID:	21883  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2012, 07:48 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
kWIKEE STEPS 875.pdf

Maybe this will help you troubleshoot your problem.

06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #3

I can see 3 bolts holding the assembly to the frame. Can't you remove those (and probably a forth bolt I can't see in the picture) and remove the entire step assembly? That would give you move room to work on it.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #4

I think the link from mgscott4 should help you. Somewhere there is a pin that holds the steps to the actuator arm. Remove the pin the the steps should fall freely to the open position. You should also make sure you unplug the harness before starting to work on the steps. They can cause you some real damage should they activate while you are working on them.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Power steps
Old 06-05-2012, 03:37 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post
Attachment 21888

Maybe this will help you troubleshoot your problem.
Thanks - I see they discuss removing some sort of side railing. I will go out to the RV and see if I can find that . I'll let everyone know if that works.

Bob
Old 06-05-2012, 03:44 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Also to all the others - the issue is that the step is retracted up against the motor. There is about 1/4 inch gap between the motor and step. I can't get to the motor, bolts or pin without the step dropping away from it. Even if I could get to the bolts on the motor it would only drop that 1/4 inch and I still couldn't remove it. I do appreciate the collective thoughts and will let you know when and how I get this resolved.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 06-05-2012, 05:53 AM   #8

Mine were stuck also. Mechanic tapped the motor with a hammer and it's been working since. Guess it just wanted some attention.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #9

At the back-middle of the top step is the attachement point for the linkage. Pull the little cotter-pin and the steps will unfold. Then you can pull the 3 long verticale screws from that hold the motor assembly. Lubricate the big Kwikee gear inside the housing and the linkage bell-crank and cotterpin link. Lube the step hinge points and all will be well.
Oh, if the steps a jammed and it is not caused by a binding linkage, you may need to rotate the big gear 180 degrees to use the othe half of that gear that doesn't normally get used just pushing the linkage in and out.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Problem solved. As I previously stated, I couldn't find a way to reach the connecting pin to drop the steps. At looking at some of the other pictures posted, it seemed like it would be easy to get to. But for some reason, with my steps retracted, any access to the pin was blocked. So, I did what many of you suggested in your posts. I used PB and soaked the daylights out of anything that even looked like it was part of the steps (including myself). I recycled my door switch and yanked on the steps. As a last resort, I sprayed again, then mildly tapped on the linkage arm with a hammer (4 or 5 times) and topped it off with recycling the door switch while yanking on the steps and viola - they extended. I applied a lithium grease, cycled the steps a few times and then left before anything else could happen to them. I am not sure exactly what actually broke them free (probably a combination of everything) but I am glad they finally extended. Thanks to all of you for you comments, advice and support.

Bob
Old 06-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #11

Glad you got them working again. Keep them well lubed and hopefully you can avoid another similar event. Judging be the photo you first posted, you might still want to tear them apart, clean everything up and re-assemble them.

Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kwikee