Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2016, 05:29 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You need to see a mechanic not a parts replacer. In a lot of low mileage MH's moisture builds in the rear end oil and the bearings get rust on them.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2016, 10:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy8 View Post
2008 Thor Motorhome 14K miles Ford F10 we heard a howling noise only to find the rear end was shot! Ford doesn't care and I can't find a reason for this to happen. Anyone else?
1) did it happen to sit for a LONG period of time in cold weather and through hot and then through cold again without ever moving?
if so the Crown gear will rust/rot

2) could have been adjusted incorrectly from new and at 14K miles
finally wore bad enough to howl

3) was it really shot? and not just bad pinion bearings?? dana,s are known for this situation
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:50 AM   #17

I'm trying to figure out expecting warranty help on an 8 year old anything....
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
I'm trying to figure out expecting warranty help on an 8 year old anything....
Yeah me too. Just figure out what the problem is and fix it before it gets worse or causes other problems and don't waste time, energy & oxygen on getting someone else to pay for it.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:27 AM   #19

Differential

Thanks all this is a second opinion,the howl happens when you give her gas and then again when you let off the gas. Metal but not much was on the magnet upon further tearing down lots of metal was found. I just am a little annalitical have to know the who what where. You'd think with low miles ford would be interested but they aren't! They are interested in selling you a $2300 part! I never thought they'd cover it just wanted to know they're opinion. Extended warranty covered most
gypsy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:52 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
definitely need experienced mechanic to check it out. I have set up gears in a many rear ends. You could be as lucky as needing just a set of pinion bearing
markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:32 AM   #21

Once " LOTS of metal was found" a complete teardown and rebuild is the only course of action.

Once the oil is contamanated with steel, it damages everything in there.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:14 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
That's a pretty common rearend...I'd look at a salvage unit and just replace the whole axle, keep your brakes and add new wheel seals. I just looked online and a superduty rear axle complete is going for around 2000 but I bet you could find one a lot cheaper. If ford is saying 2300 out the door then that's a different deal, but if it's 2300 + labor you might want to consider salvage route.
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:29 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would price gears from someone else like a drivetrain shop being they are Dana gears. The Ford gears are way to high. Probable Dana gears should be closer to $500 plus a couple hundred for the pinion and carrier brgs/races. I strongly suggest a complete tear down and the tubes included be swabbed for complete metal removal.. inspection of the wheel hubbbrgs and races should closely examined or even replaced at the same time. Ck the vent hose for any restrictions and proper routing. Sounds like you got lucky having an aftermarket warranty. , so that's good.. with your veicle being 8 years old Ford would never cover this without a warranty plan regardless of the mileage...